Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What radicalized you?

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Widespread Labor riots and anarchist terrorism in the early 20th century did not turn America into a radical society.

Weird that Richard Nixon was elected in 1968 in a country that was so radical and so leftist.
    Ivoted for McGovern Me and 3 other people..my first election
    McGovern was way radical - minimum payments, and his campaign sucked and his VP was "scandalized"
    Damn i still hate that SOB Nixon and his "peace with honor" crap -but it sold

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    small towns were generally behind the big cities in therms of social change - but the "youth movement"
    ( as it's said) was generational across demographics- and that movement went against the old "isms"
    Small towns have been behind big cities since the Roman empire.

I just want someone to do an impartial study about how supposedly uniquely radical the 1960s actually were.

There were many other periods in American history where fashions radically changed, hedonism and open sexuality were flaunted, riots and social unrest were widespread. But through it all, America on the whole as a nation remained fairly conventional and traditional, and if change came they generally came slowly.

I get the impression really profound and widespread changes about government policy, racism, sexism, homophobia, environmentalism, corporate culture, business ethics really hit the ground running in the 1970s through 1990s.

I am just speculating that the 1960s have been mythologized through decades of movies, television, hyperbole, and legend.

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Yes. And no surprise the idea of CRT annoys the racists.
    They didn't even know what CRT was until rightwing media personalities started complaining about it sometime in 2020. The whole manufacturing of outrage was designed in the meeting rooms and cubicles of Fox News Corp, et al.

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Small towns have been behind big cities since the Roman empire.

I just want someone to do an impartial study about how supposedly uniquely radical the 1960s actually were.

There were many other periods in American history where fashions radically changed, hedonism and open sexuality were flaunted, riots and social unrest were widespread. But through it all, America on the whole as a nation remained fairly conventional and traditional, and if change came they generally came slowly.

I get the impression really profound and widespread changes about government policy, racism, sexism, homophobia, environmentalism, corporate culture, business ethics really hit the ground running in the 1970s through 1990s.

I am just speculating that the 1960s have been mythologized through decades of movies, television, hyperbole, and legend.
    well teh 60's were the beginnings of much social change
    Demonstrations on the streets. the war, Freaks (hippies).
    The work got quieter and more behind the scenes in the 70s (Me generation) - but that's when it became more institutionalized and set into culture

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

well teh 60's were the beginnings of much social change
    Demonstrations on the streets. the war, Freaks (hippies).
    The work got quieter and more behind the scenes in the 70s (Me generation) - but that's when it became more institutionalized and set into culture
    Right, the seeds were planted in the 60s, but the real transformative changes to society happened a decade or three later. Marijuana legalization didn't even happen until the 21st century, though it may have a distant antecedent in the 60s.

I don't really count radical changes to fashion, style, sexuality, or riots to be the primary indicators of a society that has radically changed in fundamental sociological ways. Working at IBM in 1968 was probably pretty much like working at IBM in 1958.

6. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,756 Times in 4,506 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

I think I recall Puerto Rican Independence groups who used bombs first -..but violent groups were very marginal
    Not to downplay it, but "mostly peaceful protests" for real (unlike BLM riots)
    I don't know about Puerto Rican bombs, but that was not a big movement that affected the nation. I think you are overlooking a lot of violence and destruction coming from both civil rights protests and Vietnam War marches.

"Major race riots have occurred in the United States at least since the Harlem Riots of 1948, but the 60's surpassed anything previously experienced. The five day Watts riot in August, 1965 saw 34 people die and a thousand injured; and the 1966 Detroit riot, 43 deaths. Following Martin Luther King's assassination in 1968, rioting broke out in over 120 cities including Chicago and Washington."

I don't have the total numbers, but I think the total number of protests and deaths outnumbered anything related to BLM or more recent riots and protests. There were 884 protests related to anti-war issues and hundreds related to race. There was also more violence.

7. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    I am 100% bigoted against liars...yep...you caught me. Congrats!
    shit head - this is the anonymous internet

you can waste your time pretending to know when people are lying - or you can attempt to act human and debate what they say instead of this childish game of debating who they are

8. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 75 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    For me, it was watching SCOTUS install their preferred candidate in 2000 by stopping the recount that Gore would have definitely won.

For Conservatives, they were radicalized because they didn't get an invite to a party in college.

For BoTHSiDerIsts, that's the same thing.

Ruby Ridge and Waco were the things that 'radicalized' me to be a minarchist Libertarian. The last 3 years is what 'radicalized' me toward anarcho-capitalist Libertarianism.

9. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,245 Times in 2,336 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 162 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lot's of conservatives said they were "forced" to vote for the shockingly stupid Trump because Hillary made them feel bad by calling them Deplorables.

Republicans on this board have openly stated they voted for Trump primarily to make liberals cry.

^^ That is the logic of an eight year old. And only further highlights that the modern GOP is not a political philosophy built on genuine ideas and policy; it is built on resentment and grievance.
    Lot's of conservatives said they were "forced" to vote for the shockingly stupid Trump because Hillary made them feel bad by calling them Deplorables.
    Is this the “data” you pointed at me? So evidently, conservatives were forced to vote for Trump because the beast besmirched their honor by calling them “deplorable”? And other than that horrible slight, those conservatives would have voted for her? Seems shockingly stupid of her to alienate half the electorate like that. What was her platform anyway? Seems to me she didn’t have one.

Republicans on this board have openly stated they voted for Trump primarily to make liberals cry.
    Wow, that’s some really shallow republicans! But I must admit, leftist tears are a bonus. Still, I would be forced to concede the debate on this if you could supply one quote from one conservative on this board stating they voted for Trump because shrillary either called them a deplorable, or just to make leftists cry. Moot point anyway. Both scenarios are good enough reasons not to vote for her. She was a piece of shit candidate.

^^ That is the logic of an eight year old. And only further highlights that the modern GOP is not a political philosophy built on genuine ideas and policy; it is built on resentment and grievance.
    Yeah, That pretty much IS the logic of an eight year old. Which is why it’s bullshit and you’ll never prove it. But this whole narrative is serving it’s purpose, right? Just another thread NOT about the pressing issues of the day.
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

10. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Right, the seeds were planted in the 60s, but the real transformative changes to society happened a decade or three later. Marijuana legalization didn't even happen until the 21st century, though it may have a distant antecedent in the 60s.

I don't really count radical changes to fashion, style, sexuality, or riots to be the primary indicators of a society that has radically changed in fundamental sociological ways. Working at IBM in 1968 was probably pretty much like working at IBM in 1958.
    to use the meme; 60's were the" inflection point"
    But we couldnt stop the war either

11. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I don't know about Puerto Rican bombs, but that was not a big movement that affected the nation. I think you are overlooking a lot of violence and destruction coming from both civil rights protests and Vietnam War marches.

"Major race riots have occurred in the United States at least since the Harlem Riots of 1948, but the 60's surpassed anything previously experienced. The five day Watts riot in August, 1965 saw 34 people die and a thousand injured; and the 1966 Detroit riot, 43 deaths. Following Martin Luther King's assassination in 1968, rioting broke out in over 120 cities including Chicago and Washington."

I don't have the total numbers, but I think the total number of protests and deaths outnumbered anything related to BLM or more recent riots and protests. There were 884 protests related to anti-war issues and hundreds related to race. There was also more violence.
    true and im much more familiar with the anti-war movement then civil rights. you are older then me.
    I have no recollections outside of the JFK assassination of the early 60's,and the Beatles,but even by the time they were on Ed Sullivan i considered them a "girls band" - boy was I wrong about that!
    I started smoking weed in 68 - that was my turn on time

12. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,756 Times in 4,506 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

true and im much more familiar with the anti-war movement then civil rights. you are older then me.
    I have no recollections outside of the JFK assassination of the early 60's,and the Beatles,but even by the time they were on Ed Sullivan i considered them a "girls band" - boy was I wrong about that!
    I started smoking weed in 68 - that was my turn on time
    Yeah, the early Beatles was bubble gum music. Much like today, the JFK assassination led to many conspiracy theories--all without evidence.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Cypress (06-23-2022), dukkha (06-23-2022)

14. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah, the early Beatles was bubble gum music. Much like today, the JFK assassination led to many conspiracy theories--all without evidence.
    Oswald did it. and did it alone the evidence is overwhelming.
    Because some 2 bit schmuck killed a president in prime of life
    our minds have it make it more then it was

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Flash (06-23-2022)

16. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

to use the meme; 60's were the" inflection point"
    But we couldnt stop the war either
    Right, in the 21st century, we are the real radicals. I doubt college kids in the 60s could realistically fathom the reality of legal marijuana, gay marriage, a black president, a female vice president.

17. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

I read the Warren Report. They did not present convincing evidence.