View Poll Results: Predict the results of the November 2022 Mid-Terms (Multiple Choice)

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • The House will change party control

3 20.00%
  • The Senate will change party control

1 6.67%
  • Both Houses of Congress will change party control

9 60.00%
  • None of the Above

1 6.67%
  • I don't know

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: November 8, 2022 Mid-Terms; The Battle for Control

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,417 Times in 52,442 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default November 8, 2022 Mid-Terms; The Battle for Control

On November 8th this year, about 60% of America's eligible voters will elect 435 House Representatives, 34 Senators and 36 governors. Odds favor the Republicans taking the House.

Besides the massive number of seats up for election, there are several variables in play; the aftermath of COVID upon elderly voters, Inflation and Russia's attack on Ukraine (mainly the economic impact on the West), the Insurrection trials, Redistricting, and the impact of the Independents/Third Party voters.

https://ballotpedia.org/United_State...lections,_2022
    A total of 469 seats in the U.S. Congress (34 Senate seats and all 435 House seats) are up for election on November 8, 2022.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2022
    The Democrats’ majority in Congress is razor-thin: The Senate is a 50-50 split (with Vice President Kamala Harris’ tie-breaking vote giving them the advantage) and Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s control of the House rests on a slim margin. In 2022, all 435 House seats and 34 of the 100 Senate seats are on the ballot. Additionally, 36 out of 50 states will elect governors.

https://www.newstatesman.com/interna...lained-america
    At the moment, the Democrats control the House: they hold 221 seats to the Republicans’ 208. (Six seats are vacant.) The Senate is equally split, with 50 members from each party. Kamala Harris, the vice-president, has a tiebreaker vote so the Democrats are nominally in control...

...I keep reading about “redistricting” or how congressional districts are “redrawn”. What does that mean?

It means changing electoral boundaries. The census dictates how House seats are distributed between the states. We just had a new census, and so had new maps. But none of this exists in a vacuum. Gerrymandering is the process of drawing boundaries to favour one political party. Sometimes boundary changes are also criticised for curtailing minority communities’ voting power. The North Carolina supreme court, for example, struck down new maps drawn by the state’s legislature, arguing that they denied all citizens equal voting power on the basis of partisan affiliation. The US Supreme Court is likely to hear cases in the not too distant future to decide whether state courts will be able to continue to provide such a check on state legislatures.

Also, that congressional seats have been redrawn means some members of Congress who are in the same party are now running against each other.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

evince (06-05-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

But Mississippi got away with shutting blacks out of representation.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (06-02-2022)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (06-05-2022), Guno צְבִי (06-05-2022)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,417 Times in 52,442 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    But Mississippi got away with shutting blacks out of representation.
    Mississippi has about 3M citizens, about 38% are African-American. Why do you think they allowed that to happen? What are they doing about it?

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/MS
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

evince (06-05-2022)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,268 Times in 13,401 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 800 Posts

I fully expect both houses of Congress to flip in November. People are absolutely pissed off at the Democrats right now. Between gas prices, inflation, no baby food, supply shortages, an open border, and a plethora of other issues the Democrats are on the wrong side of right now, it's going to be a disaster for them. The Republicans need only pick up two seats in the Senate to take control. I'd bet 60 to 80 seats in the House will flip as well.

Biden and the Democrats aren't the sole cause of the negative issues in America today, but they are the public and political face of them, like it or not.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Matt Dillon (06-02-2022)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,137 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I fully expect both houses of Congress to flip in November. People are absolutely pissed off at the Democrats right now. Between gas prices, inflation, no baby food, supply shortages, an open border, and a plethora of other issues the Democrats are on the wrong side of right now, it's going to be a disaster for them. The Republicans need only pick up two seats in the Senate to take control. I'd bet 60 to 80 seats in the House will flip as well.

Biden and the Democrats aren't the sole cause of the negative issues in America today, but they are the public and political face of them, like it or not.
    I keep asking what the Republican plans are to curb these things? I really would be interested in solutions.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-02-2022)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,217 Times in 13,952 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

GOP will win the House, how many times in history has a first term President’s party maintained a majority in the House? Hasn’t happened since 2002, and when adding in demographics and gerrymandering, isn’t going to occur this year

The Senate is a different story, the GOP has an edge, but the GOP is running some questionable candidates, Walker in Georgia and Johnson in Wisconsin being a couple of examples, and by November, with the SCOTUS major decisions on abortion, guns, campaign financing, and education all due, the Democrats could have motivating to run on

13. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-02-2022)

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I keep asking what the Republican plans are to curb these things? I really would be interested in solutions.
    Nothing, but it matters little, people largely don’t vote on what can you do for me but rather what have you done for me

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,268 Times in 13,401 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 800 Posts

If they do nothing it won't be worse than it is now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-02-2022)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

"shellacking" (Obama)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If they do nothing it won't be worse than it is now.
    Not true, in fact, as we saw with Covid, they could make it worse

19. The Following User Groans At archives For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (06-02-2022)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    "shellacking" (Obama)
    House, maybe the Senate, but Biden will still be President, with the power of the Presidency, which with Trump, has expanded greatly

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    House, maybe the Senate, but Biden will still be President, with the power of the Presidency, which with Trump, has expanded greatly
    more XO's. I get that, and wide open borders too
    But at least the Progrssive legislation will be dead. Biden cant moderate because Progs control your party

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 7,142 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    more XO's. I get that, and wide open borders too
    But at least the Progrssive legislation will be dead. Biden cant moderate because Progs control your party
    Dude- define wide-open borders!

I hear a lot of what you are saying, but let's get real about the term wide-open borders.

WE DO NOT NOW HAVE WIDE-OPEN BORDERS AND WE NEVER DID!

PROGRESSIVES DO NOT CONTROL THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY-

TO BE HONEST- THE FILIBUSTER- RED STATE GERRYMANDERING- SINEMA AND MANCHIN- THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE ARE MUCH LARGER FACTORS IN WHO AND WHAT IS CONTROLLING THE DEMOCRAT PARTY!

PROGRESSIVES CAN BE A DRAG ON OUR PARTY AND THEIR OWN BEST INTERESTS SOMETIMES THOUGH- WHEN THEY DO NOT VOTE IN THE GENERAL ELECTIONS, biting off their own nose to spite their face because their candidate in the primary didn't win, AND THEN BY ALSO GIVING BIDEN UNFAVORABLE REVIEWS BECAUSE HE DON'T- OR EVEN CAN (FOR THE REASONS I MENTIONED ABOVE)- GIVE THEM EVERYTHING THEY WANT!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 06-02-2022 at 11:53 AM.

23. The Following User Groans At Geeko Sportivo For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (06-02-2022)

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

True, Congress can't make Biden secure the border. Best they can do is impeach him for willful negligence/dereliction of duty and then drag him through a Senate trial.

They can also pass meaningless resolutions condemning his energy policy.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

dukkha (06-02-2022)

26. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Dude- define wide-open borders!

I hear a lot of what you are saying, but let's get real about the term wide-open borders.

WE DO NOT NOW HAVE WIDE-OPEN BORDERS AND WE NEVER DID!

PROGRESSIVES DO NOT CONTROL THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY-

TO BE HONEST- THE FILIBUSTER- RED STATE GERRYMANDERING- SINEMA AND MANCHIN- THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE ARE MUCH LARGER FACTORS IN WHO AND WHAT IS CONTROLLING THE DEMOCRAT PARTY!

PROGRESSIVES CAN BE A DRAG ON OUR PARTY AND THEIR OWN BEST INTERESTS SOMETIMES THOUGH- WHEN THEY DO NOT VOTE IN THE GENERAL ELECTIONS, biting off their own nose to spite their face because their candidate in the primary didn't win, AND THEN BY ALSO GIVING BIDEN UNFAVORABLE REVIEWS BECAUSE HE DON'T- OR EVEN CAN (FOR THE REASONS I MENTIONED ABOVE)- GIVE THEM EVERYTHING THEY WANT!
    Progressives are the Democratic Party.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

dukkha (06-02-2022), Sailor (06-05-2022)