Thread: “1 in 5 state GOP lawmakers in far-right Facebook groups”

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,035 Times in 13,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Default “1 in 5 state GOP lawmakers in far-right Facebook groups”

“Nearly 22% of Republican legislators in the country have joined at least one far-right Facebook group”

In a year-long review of the 7,383 seats in state legislatures in the 2021-2022 session, the Institute for Research and Education on Human Rights found that 4,011 seats were held by Republicans. Of those GOP lawmakers, 872 — 21.74 percent — had joined far-right Facebook groups, according to the report, “Breaching the Mainstream.”

“The Facebook groups deal with issues including COVID-19 denial, immigration and critical race theory. Some promote the “Stop the Steal” movement, whose aim was to overturn the 2020 presidential election. And other groups, Burghart said, are influenced by ideas associated with the far-right paramilitary, sovereign citizens and the Posse Comitatus, a violent, racist and anti-Semitic movement.”

“The study didn’t include NRA groups, mainstream conservative groups or those focused on former President Donald Trump and his “Make America Great Again” theme.”

https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...#storylink=cpy

Not reassuring knowing the GOP is relying on extreme social media websites for their understanding of issues, but it sure explains a lot

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-27-2022), PoliTalker (05-27-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello archives,

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    “Nearly 22% of Republican legislators in the country have joined at least one far-right Facebook group”

In a year-long review of the 7,383 seats in state legislatures in the 2021-2022 session, the Institute for Research and Education on Human Rights found that 4,011 seats were held by Republicans. Of those GOP lawmakers, 872 — 21.74 percent — had joined far-right Facebook groups, according to the report, “Breaching the Mainstream.”

“The Facebook groups deal with issues including COVID-19 denial, immigration and critical race theory. Some promote the “Stop the Steal” movement, whose aim was to overturn the 2020 presidential election. And other groups, Burghart said, are influenced by ideas associated with the far-right paramilitary, sovereign citizens and the Posse Comitatus, a violent, racist and anti-Semitic movement.”

“The study didn’t include NRA groups, mainstream conservative groups or those focused on former President Donald Trump and his “Make America Great Again” theme.”

https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...#storylink=cpy

Not reassuring knowing the GOP is relying on extreme social media websites for their understanding of issues, but it sure explains a lot
    Is anybody surprised?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,035 Times in 13,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello archives,

Is anybody surprised?
    Certainly explains many of the GOP State Legislatures eagerness to overturn and ignore the 2020 vote

5. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-27-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello archives,

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Certainly explains many of the GOP State Legislatures eagerness to overturn and ignore the 2020 vote
    That's history. We'll see what they do in upcoming elections. Sad to think it won't budge the apathetic enough to care.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.