Thread: Disney World becomes unaffordable for the average American family

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,137 Times in 33,847 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Always thought Disney was expensive for most Americans, that is why it was always a special trip, not one of those rapid repeaters, besides, that’s capitalism, if the market will bear it, they’ll get it, and I don’t think they are going out of business anytime soon
    Exactly, Disney has always been expensive, it was in the 80’s when we went there. It’s never been a cheap experience, no theme parks are cheap experiences.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Life is Golden (05-23-2022)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    we could have 15-20 scattered around - we just need to stop letting Disney change our laws. Mickey again loses protection in 2024 - this time it better be for good
    if there were 15-20 of them they would go out of business as people cant afford them.
    making them affordable would mean making them tawdry.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 7,142 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    A family of four from New Jersey reached out to FOX News Digital after taking a recent trip to Disney World, saying they had sticker shock over what they spent on their visit and noticed changes at the park from times past.

Gone is the Magical Express that previously served as a courtesy shuttle, so the family shelled out $200 for private transportation to get to and from the airport.

Park hopper tickets cost $2,550 for the five days they attended. Their four nights of lodging inside the resort cost $3,780 for the parents and two kids.

Once inside the park, they spent $300 on Genie plus passes for their entire trip to skip lines in order to avoid spending all their time waiting for rides. The parents said they paid $950 on sit-down meals and another $700 or so for snacks and souvenirs. All told, the cost of the visit rounded out to $8,480, and airfare pushed the price of their vacation upwards of $10,000.

"I feel like Disney is pricing people out, can the average working American family really afford this?" the mother said in remarks to FOX Business. "I've been coming to Disney since I was six years old. I'm 39 now. My kids thought Disney was magical and so for me the cost was worth it, but I see that it's not the same Disney it was."
    Most people don't give one squirt of runny shit about Florida or Disneyland.

But most Americans are more concerned that home ownership or rent is not affordable anymore.

The Stock market bubble started busting just last week, and the Real Estate bubble is next.

If Disney wants to survive- they will move out of Florida and chooses a state that is not a refuge for Criminal ex-Presidents, retired Asshole Republicans, and Trumptarded Governors.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,892 Times in 21,656 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,684 Times in 5,187 Posts
    Blog Entries

If Disney is charging too much, they will suffer and lower the price... its called capitalism.

Should they not be free to charge what they want?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 62 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    A family of four from New Jersey reached out to FOX News Digital after taking a recent trip to Disney World, saying they had sticker shock over what they spent on their visit and noticed changes at the park from times past.

Gone is the Magical Express that previously served as a courtesy shuttle, so the family shelled out $200 for private transportation to get to and from the airport.

Park hopper tickets cost $2,550 for the five days they attended. Their four nights of lodging inside the resort cost $3,780 for the parents and two kids.

Once inside the park, they spent $300 on Genie plus passes for their entire trip to skip lines in order to avoid spending all their time waiting for rides. The parents said they paid $950 on sit-down meals and another $700 or so for snacks and souvenirs. All told, the cost of the visit rounded out to $8,480, and airfare pushed the price of their vacation upwards of $10,000.

"I feel like Disney is pricing people out, can the average working American family really afford this?" the mother said in remarks to FOX Business. "I've been coming to Disney since I was six years old. I'm 39 now. My kids thought Disney was magical and so for me the cost was worth it, but I see that it's not the same Disney it was."
    The interesting thing, though, is it remains crowded. Clearly they're not having trouble finding people to go.

Part of what's going on is probably regional differences in what constitutes an average family. Look at places like DC, MD, MA, NJ, HI, and CA. A median household in those areas earns between $80k and $92K. At the other end, if you're in MS, WV, AR, LA, and AL, it's more in the $45k-$52k range. That's an enormous difference.

Then there's the difference in family sizes. In MA, a family has 1.7-1.8 kids, on average, whereas in Mississippi it's 1.91-2.

https://www.insider.com/the-average-...y-state-2019-2

So, where the idea of taking the family to Disneyworld may seem like an insane expense for a typical Mississippi family, it may seem like nothing but a small luxury for a typical Massachusetts family, which has an extra $35k per year to play with and fewer kids to bring. I expect that the stats would support the idea that the distribution of who is going to Disney has changed over the last couple decades, from being disproportionately those within a few states' drive, to mostly people jetting in from the wealthier states of the Northeast and West Coast.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    if there were 15-20 of them they would go out of business as people cant afford them.
    making them affordable would mean making them tawdry.
    they would become more affordable - as they have to compete with each other

Disney would of already lost their rights to Mickey Mouse. others as well. competing corporations would be running their own house of mouse brand entertainment if we could get them to stop lobbying government for special favors.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    If Disney is charging too much, they will suffer and lower the price... its called capitalism.

Should they not be free to charge what they want?
    should they have trade mark protection of 95 years? fuck no

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zymurgy For This Post:

Jarod (05-23-2022)

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But they should not be punished for a political disagreement.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Mina (05-23-2022)

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    My wife says the logistics at Disney World suck. You have to load up on shuttle buses and have your ass driven around for miles before even reaching the park

At Disneyland, we just stay across the street from the park and walk over. If we want to splurge we stay at the Grand Californian which is right inside the park
    The logistics at Disney are great if you pay a premium.... stay at a monorail resort, like the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian, and you just hop on the monorail and you're there in no time flat -- and the short trip there is scenic and pleasant. But, you also pay a fortune for those accommodations.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mina For This Post:

Cypress (05-23-2022)

14. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Exactly, Disney has always been expensive, it was in the 80’s when we went there. It’s never been a cheap experience, no theme parks are cheap experiences.
    Now that is true.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-23-2022)

16. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ironically, the big reason they've got that is because Republicans were basically paying them off for political contributions. The euphemistically named "Mickey Mouse Protection Act" is, of course, more formally called the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act -- named after the corrupt Republican Congressman whom Disney purchased to take the lead on it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mina For This Post:

Jarod (05-23-2022)

18. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    But they should not be punished for a political disagreement.
    Like Chick Fil A was?

19. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    Their prices are over-the-top outrageous. Wish they would just pack up and move on.
    they area no different from any other comparable resort.

hell juszt go to an NFL game and see what a hot dog and a beer run you.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

20. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    Ironically, the big reason they've got that is because Republicans were basically paying them off for political contributions. The euphemistically named "Mickey Mouse Protection Act" is, of course, more formally called the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act -- named after the corrupt Republican Congressman whom Disney purchased to take the lead on it.
    Disney has been paying Republicans in Florida for decades. They payed DeSantis a ton, and he worked with them until they crossed him.

LOCK HIM UP!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Mina (05-23-2022)

22. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I thought Trump ass kissers were supposedly in favor of capitalism. I have been a annual pass holder at Disneyland for most of the 21st century. No matter how much they raise prices, the park is packed. People come from all over the world to visit.

Frankly, if they made passes cheap, demand would totally overwhelm supply, and they wouldn't even be able to pack people into the park like sardines.

That's capitalism, is it not?
    no. they limit the sale of tickets and require a "reseravtion" as well to keep the overcrowding
    But you put your finger on it.
    American families are being priced out and richer foreigners are taking their place
    That's all the OP said, and was intended..
    There is a general loathing around here for Diz even though a lot work there.