Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any measurable way the country does better with Republican presidents?

1. #226 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    FOX Business-Democrat policies hurt those they claim to help.

Indeed they do.
    Only in the minds of the morons of the American Right.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

2. #227 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,625 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    Don't we all? The difference is I can any time I feel like it.
    Very good point!

3. #228 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    America is a Constitutional Republic, dummy, not a Democracy.
    America is a democratic republic, you fucking moron. And until American conservatives started fucking it up, it probably was one of the more democratic countries on the planet.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Mina (05-23-2022)

5. #229 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed on more pity.

Text communications are great for passing data, but lousy at conveying emotion, sarcasm, etc. This is one reason why I like to understand a person's background; to get a sense of "where they are coming from"; age, education and gender being three major cultural areas where people differ on perspectives. Gender only for Americans since cross-cultural differences can cause men to appear as feminine or women as masculine.

Despite the whines of the fucking morons, this is not "doxxing". It's a means of understanding. It's one thing to know a person is History major with a degree as opposed to a HS dropout. It's another to want to know their name, address and social security number.

FWIW, IMHO, the reason they go personal is because they have nothing else to offer. They cut'n'paste some nonsense but get pissed off when asked to explain it. Why? Because they can't. They lack the education and are afraid of looking stupid. Again, the fear factor in them. LOL
    Add this to your store then, Dutch.

My guess is that I am the oldest person posting regularly in JPP. I was born in August of 1936...and have been self-sufficient since age 17, when I enlisted the in USAF in 1954.

I play a round of golf 4 to 5 times each week...and as late as last year, I often climbed to the top of an extension ladder with a chainsaw in-hand...cutting down branches of trees that need trimming. I was doing my own chimney cleaning until two years ago when I almost did a header off the roof. I now hire a guy to do that job...and I suspect I will also hire him to do the tree trimming from now on. (It us stupid to keep doing it at my age.) I visit The Big Apple often...and can make the walk from Central Park to the West Village in much less time than many people 25 years younger. I have loads of fun doing the things my wife and I do...and am one of the most content people I know. I am not afraid of death...something I will have to deal with relatively soon, I'm sure. (Since I am in such good shape and having so much fun, "relatively soon" is any time during the next 25 years.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-23-2022)

7. #230 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 62 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    You say

And I say why do intellectual snobs, not understand that most of us aren't clerk typists and make typos?
    We all make typos. But some errors are made with such consistency by people within certain groups that they are more like tribal markers than random occurrences. Two that I've noted as shibboleths for the right are confusing "loose" and "lose," and using "strawman" to describe any argument they feel lacks merit, no matter how poorly it fits within the proper understanding of what a strawman argument is.

That sure looks like an insulting statement to me.
    Yes. When someone insults me, I take it as permission to return fire. Often I don't bother, but sometimes it's fun to lay a trap, by effectively repeating their rhetoric back to them, and then watching as they sputter and blubber in response to the insult. I count on their lack of self-awareness to leave them looking like hypocritical buffoons, and they seldom disappoint.

There is nothing wrong with being young but you must understand that your elders have experienced and learned from life experiences you have yet to encounter.
    In the same sense, there's nothing wrong with being elderly, but you must understand that on average people's IQ's decline as they age, so that generally speaking those whose brains are closer to their peak will have a stronger understanding of what's going on in the world.

I am sure your parents tried to teach you the golden rule but apparently failed.
    I'm sort of a "bronze rule" gal, in that sometimes I do unto others as they've done unto me. When I try to discuss substance and am met, instead, with personal attacks and condescension, I take it as permission to do the same. If that hurts your feelings, consider cleaning up your own approach, so that you do not trigger reciprocal insults. I understand that at your age it's going to be extra hard to learn to be civil, but even late in life new skills can be mastered with effort. Good luck!

8. #231 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,222 Times in 10,693 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 579 Times in 563 Posts
    Blog Entries

In another thread, we were discussing the way that, on average, the country has had a much better private-sector job creation rate during Democratic presidencies than Republican ones. It got me thinking: is there ANY indicator you can think of where performance hasn't been better, on average, during Democratic presidencies?

Famously, the country has MUCH higher real GDP growth rates when Democrats are president, stronger median real income growth, and better stock market performance. Also, it's well established that while there has been a small net increase in poverty rates during Republican presidencies, there's been a gigantic net decrease in those rates during Democratic presidencies. Dem eras also look better when it comes to the change in the share of Americans covered by health insurance.

But surely there must be SOME indicator that looks better for the Republicans, right?

My first thought was maybe crime, since Republicans talk a good game when it comes to "law and order," and have been eager to incarcerate a large share of Americans to try to achieve that. There are two ways we could score that: average rates or change in rates.

Using the murder rate as a proxy, the average murder rate during Republican presidencies is 7.5 (going back to 1960 and up to 2020). The average during Democratic presidencies is 6.3.

Calculating it, instead, by the change in rates, on average murder rates fell 0.05 points during Democratic presidencies, and rose 0.6 points during Republican presidencies.

So, whichever way you calculate that, Democratic presidential eras look better.

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

The next thought that occurred to me is inflation, since Republicans are hawkish on that. Again, there are two main ways you could score that: the average inflation rate per year, or the change in the rate of inflation from the start of a presidency to the end. The former looks better for the Democrats (3.17%, average, versus 4.16% for Republicans). The latter, though, looks better for Republicans (largely on the strength of Reagan inheriting high rates and leaving fairly low ones).

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FPCPITOTLZGUSA#0

So, out of all the indicators I've thought of, Dems look better on all of them except inflation.... and that one depends on how you score it. Are there any others you can think of that look better for the Republicans?
    Trying to figure out if you have one functioning brain cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

9. #232 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,625 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

We all make typos. But some errors are made with such consistency by people within certain groups that they are more like tribal markers than random occurrences. Two that I've noted as shibboleths for the right are confusing "loose" and "lose," and using "strawman" to describe any argument they feel lacks merit, no matter how poorly it fits within the proper understanding of what a strawman argument is.

Yes. When someone insults me, I take it as permission to return fire. Often I don't bother, but sometimes it's fun to lay a trap, by effectively repeating their rhetoric back to them, and then watching as they sputter and blubber in response to the insult. I count on their lack of self-awareness to leave them looking like hypocritical buffoons, and they seldom disappoint.

In the same sense, there's nothing wrong with being elderly, but you must understand that on average people's IQ's decline as they age, so that generally speaking those whose brains are closer to their peak will have a stronger understanding of what's going on in the world.

I'm sort of a "bronze rule" gal, in that sometimes I do unto others as they've done unto me. When I try to discuss substance and am met, instead, with personal attacks and condescension, I take it as permission to do the same. If that hurts your feelings, consider cleaning up your own approach, so that you do not trigger reciprocal insults. I understand that at your age it's going to be extra hard to learn to be civil, but even late in life new skills can be mastered with effort. Good luck!
    Sorry but that is a myth.

Does your IQ change as you get older?
    Not generally. IQ tests are age adjusted, basically to take account of youth and inexperience (under 18) or age and diminishing speed. The reason is that, as we get older, diminishing speed and spatial awareness are balanced by having more knowledge and experience to draw on to solve problems.

Keeping your mind active as you grow older will help maintain your cognitive faculties, although of course degenerative brain conditions can affect this.
    https://www.mensa.org.uk/about-mensa...lve%20problems.

As I said earlier life's lessons are often better than book smarts.

10. #233 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hateful people just 'think' the country is better off with less immigration.

Every parameter which is measurable indicates otherwise.

Immigration built this country, it helps expand our economy, and it makes America stronger.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. #234 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    Trying to figure out if you have one functioning brain cell.
    Can you think of an indicator where, on average, Republican presidential eras have been better than Democratic ones?

Here's another possibility, measuring each president in terms of how the deficit changed, as a share of GDP, from the last budget year that started before his presidency, to the last budget year of his presidency:

Bush2: -10.97 (from a surplus of 1.21% to a deficit of 9.76%)
    Trump:-8.65 (from a deficit of 3.42% of GDP to one of 12.07% of GDP)
    Nixon: -3.48
    Bush1: -1.01
    JFK: -0.27
    Reagan: -0.24

Carter: +0.12
    Ford: +0.58
    Eisenhower: +1.08

LBJ: +1.18
    Clinton: +4.93 (from a deficit of 3.72% to a surplus of 1.21%)
    Obama: +6.34
    (from a deficit of 9.76% to one of 3.42%)

I find that interesting. The deficit situation got better under every Democrat of the modern era other than JFK, and even that would extremely close. Meanwhile, it got worse under every Republican other than Ford and Ike.

12. #235 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Can you think of an indicator where, on average, Republican presidential eras have been better than Democratic ones?

Here's another possibility, measuring each president in terms of how the deficit changed, as a share of GDP, from the last budget year that started before his presidency, to the last budget year of his presidency:

Bush2: -10.97 (from a surplus of 1.21% to a deficit of 9.76%)
    Trump:-8.65 (from a deficit of 3.42% of GDP to one of 12.07% of GDP)
    Nixon: -3.48
    Bush1: -1.01
    JFK: -0.27
    Reagan: -0.24

Carter: +0.12
    Ford: +0.58
    Eisenhower: +1.08

LBJ: +1.18
    Clinton: +4.93 (from a deficit of 3.72% to a surplus of 1.21%)
    Obama: +6.34
    (from a deficit of 9.76% to one of 3.42%)

I find that interesting. The deficit situation got better under every Democrat of the modern era other than JFK, and even that would extremely close. Meanwhile, it got worse under every Republican other than Ford and Ike.
    You and I went round and round with yoiu denying that things are better with Biden than Trump. In spite of the long list of things I gave you that proved the opposite, you cling to your belief that everything is/was Trumps' fault and ignore the flat ass facts that Brandon is driving the US off a cliff and MOST of America is in agreement. Instead of dreaming up shit from long ago, open your pocketbook and watch it drain as you deal with your daily life, and as for you spouting your government 8.3% food increase, blow it out your rear end. My sandwich at the gas station that a few months ago was $2.19 in now $3.29 and the size has decreased. Ask your local chicken wing shop why their bucket of wings went from $13.99>$23.99>$33.99>now listed now as at market price.

This exchange between Hawley and Grandholm which I posted was met with flak from one of our dimmer posters who tried to deflect and turn this into a Hawley is bad bash.
    Ignore who is asking the questions and listen to the FACTS he is bringing to the table and then think about the bullshit answers coming out of Grandholm's mouth knowing she is just another in a long line of incredibly bad choices for cabinet positions in the Brandon administration.
    You are so out of touch with reality it is a waste of time trying to save you. Good luck with your future endeavors.

13. #236 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Sorry but that is a myth.
    It isn't. There have been a lot of studies about that. The average peak depends on which particular aspects of intelligence we measure, but with every measurable aspect, there is a peak and then a decline:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...lligence-peak/

That said, some of the lower scores for old people are due to the Flynn effect, rather than fading for individuals:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=ncen20

14. #237 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You and I went round and round with yoiu denying that things are better with Biden than Trump. In spite of the long list of things I gave you that proved the opposite, you cling to your belief that everything is/was Trumps' fault and ignore the flat ass facts that Brandon is driving the US off a cliff and MOST of America is in agreement. Instead of dreaming up shit from long ago, open your pocketbook and watch it drain as you deal with your daily life, and as for you spouting your government 8.3% food increase, blow it out your rear end. My sandwich at the gas station that a few months ago was $2.19 in now $3.29 and the size has decreased. Ask your local chicken wing shop why their bucket of wings went from $13.99>$23.99>$33.99>now listed now as at market price.

This exchange between Hawley and Grandholm which I posted was met with flak from one of our dimmer posters who tried to deflect and turn this into a Hawley is bad bash.
    Ignore who is asking the questions and listen to the FACTS he is bringing to the table and then think about the bullshit answers coming out of Grandholm's mouth knowing she is just another in a long line of incredibly bad choices for cabinet positions in the Brandon administration.
    You are so out of touch with reality it is a waste of time trying to save you. Good luck with your future endeavors.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mina For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-23-2022)

16. #238 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The last one, Reagan who replaced the peanut farmer, Eisenhower, the list can go on but in general and in my long lifetime, it comes down to Obama who divided this country so severely, that it may be beyond repair. In modern times, he and his spouse were the biggest disasters ever to set foot in the white house.
    BTW, you never took the time to watch the 6 minute exchange between Hawley and Grandholm. Do it, it will make you smarter.

17. #239 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 6,872 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

The last one, Reagan who replaced the peanut farmer, Eisenhower, the list can go on but in general and in my long lifetime, it comes down to Obama who divided this country so severely, that it may be beyond repair. In modern times, he and his spouse were the biggest disasters ever to set foot in the white house.
    BTW, you never took the time to watch the 6 minute exchange between Hawley and Grandholm. Do it, it will make you smarter.
    Reagan WAS a good economic President. But you have to go back almost 4 decades.

Obama didn't divide the country. Racism did.

18. #240 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Reagan WAS a good economic President. But you have to go back almost 4 decades.

Obama didn't divide the country. Racism did.
    You forgot Kennedy and Clinton who both figured out how to get shit done by compromise.

Obama, being the first mixed race president had the greatest opportunity to heal racism and bring all races together did nothing and his asshole wife who I believe to be more racist than anybody in the white house in the last 40 years, claimed she was for the first time proud of her country did little positive during their tenure.
    Now, you have their followers, the "woke generation" of idiot whites who have had their "white guilt syndrome" pounded into them in school making things worse.