Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any measurable way the country does better with Republican presidents?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,222 Times in 13,955 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Biden inflation the highest since Jimmy Carter. Both Democrats
    Got to love these guys, "Mina" starts what could be an interesting thread, given it was a bit partisan, but offered room for any right leaning poster to make a case, and instead the thread turns into Trump did this, Biden did that

And, seeing the thread is blown, this inflation was going to happen no matter who was President, it is demand push coming out of Covid, it was inevitable

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Mina (05-20-2022), PoliTalker (05-23-2022), ThatOwlWoman (05-20-2022)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,274 Times in 13,406 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    In another thread, we were discussing the way that, on average, the country has had a much better private-sector job creation rate during Democratic presidencies than Republican ones. It got me thinking: is there ANY indicator you can think of where performance hasn't been better, on average, during Democratic presidencies?

Famously, the country has MUCH higher real GDP growth rates when Democrats are president, stronger median real income growth, and better stock market performance. Also, it's well established that while there has been a small net increase in poverty rates during Republican presidencies, there's been a gigantic net decrease in those rates during Democratic presidencies. Dem eras also look better when it comes to the change in the share of Americans covered by health insurance.

But surely there must be SOME indicator that looks better for the Republicans, right?

My first thought was maybe crime, since Republicans talk a good game when it comes to "law and order," and have been eager to incarcerate a large share of Americans to try to achieve that. There are two ways we could score that: average rates or change in rates.

Using the murder rate as a proxy, the average murder rate during Republican presidencies is 7.5 (going back to 1960 and up to 2020). The average during Democratic presidencies is 6.3.

Calculating it, instead, by the change in rates, on average murder rates fell 0.05 points during Democratic presidencies, and rose 0.6 points during Republican presidencies.

So, whichever way you calculate that, Democratic presidential eras look better.

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

The next thought that occurred to me is inflation, since Republicans are hawkish on that. Again, there are two main ways you could score that: the average inflation rate per year, or the change in the rate of inflation from the start of a presidency to the end. The former looks better for the Democrats (3.17%, average, versus 4.16% for Republicans). The latter, though, looks better for Republicans (largely on the strength of Reagan inheriting high rates and leaving fairly low ones).

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FPCPITOTLZGUSA#0

So, out of all the indicators I've thought of, Dems look better on all of them except inflation.... and that one depends on how you score it. Are there any others you can think of that look better for the Republicans?
    McNamara fallacy.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,175 Times in 14,712 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Got to love these guys, "Mina" starts what could be an interesting thread, given it was a bit partisan, but offered room for any right leaning poster to make a case, and instead the thread turns into Trump did this, Biden did that

And, seeing the thread is blowThat creats inflation. n, this inflation was going to happen no matter who was President, it is demand push coming out of Covid, it was inevitable
    The buck lands on the President's desk. If Biden couldn't handle the job he shouldn't have ran for the job. Biden printed too much money (government spending) and now we have too much money chasing too few products. That creates inflation.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (05-19-2022)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,423 Times in 52,447 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

In another thread, we were discussing the way that, on average, the country has had a much better private-sector job creation rate during Democratic presidencies than Republican ones. It got me thinking: is there ANY indicator you can think of where performance hasn't been better, on average, during Democratic presidencies?
    LBJ, Carter. Clinton was a fluke but so was Trump...both adulterous Presidents who were impeached. Is there a connection?

FWIW, Presidents can't wave a wand and fix the economy. All they can do is talk about it.

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,423 Times in 52,447 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

The buck lands on the President's desk. If Biden couldn't handle the job he shouldn't have ran for the job. Biden printed too much money (government spending) and now we have too much money chasing too few products. That creates inflation.
    Same for Bush and Trump. Iraq and COVID. Both failed their duties.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Energy independence for the first time in, what, 70 years? Peace in the Mideast. Record low unemployment rates along all sectors and groups, especially minorities. Massive decreases in regulation. Manufacturing moving back to the US.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Matt Dillon (05-20-2022)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra MAGA View Post
    Energy independence for the first time in, what, 70 years? Peace in the Mideast. Record low unemployment rates along all sectors and groups, especially minorities. Massive decreases in regulation. Manufacturing moving back to the US.
    And raise the income for lower income wage earners.
    Last edited by ExpressLane; 05-19-2022 at 07:39 PM.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

dukkha (05-20-2022), MAGA MAN (05-19-2022), Matt Dillon (05-20-2022)

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,108 Times in 12,634 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,443 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries

Famously, the country has MUCH higher real GDP growth rates when Democrats are president, stronger median real income growth, and better stock market performance. Also, it's well established that while there has been a small net increase in poverty rates during Republican presidencies, there's been a gigantic net decrease in those rates during Democratic presidencies. Dem eras also look better when it comes to the change in the share of Americans covered by health insurance.

But surely there must be SOME indicator that looks better for the Republicans, right?

My first thought was maybe crime, since Republicans talk a good game when it comes to "law and order," and have been eager to incarcerate a large share of Americans to try to achieve that. There are two ways we could score that: average rates or change in rates.

Using the murder rate as a proxy, the average murder rate during Republican presidencies is 7.5 (going back to 1960 and up to 2020). The average during Democratic presidencies is 6.3.

Calculating it, instead, by the change in rates, on average murder rates fell 0.05 points during Democratic presidencies, and rose 0.6 points during Republican presidencies.

So, whichever way you calculate that, Democratic presidential eras look better.

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

The next thought that occurred to me is inflation, since Republicans are hawkish on that. Again, there are two main ways you could score that: the average inflation rate per year, or the change in the rate of inflation from the start of a presidency to the end. The former looks better for the Democrats (3.17%, average, versus 4.16% for Republicans). The latter, though, looks better for Republicans (largely on the strength of Reagan inheriting high rates and leaving fairly low ones).

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FPCPITOTLZGUSA#0

So, out of all the indicators I've thought of, Dems look better on all of them except inflation.... and that one depends on how you score it. Are there any others you can think of that look better for the Republicans?
    You are either a liar or really stupid, the parties are completely new now, they are not anything like they were a few years ago. D's are now the party of the Victim Culture Cult, of the WOKE, of power.....the R's are everybody else.

The entire premise of this tread is at best idiotic.

Perhaps nefarious.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

yes.........United States minus 1 demmycrat > United States plus 1 demmycrat......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,396 Times in 53,275 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    impeachment without conviction is meaningless from the partisan house.
    and no he didnt "lead" 1.6
    Unless, of course, it's Clinton and something to do with a blue dress.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-20-2022)

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,238 Times in 6,870 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    well once Clinton ralized that his original platform was going nowhere and he flipped to doing whatever Noot said, he got ppular ands productive.
    So, your take is that we clearly do better under Democrats - though once in awhile, it's because they listen to Republicans. Who fail.

17. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Biden inflation the highest since Jimmy Carter. Both Democrats
    Let me know the next time a Democrat leaves office w/ the economy worse off than when they started. Like the last 3 Republicans have.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Coolred44 (05-23-2022), Rune (05-25-2022)

19. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Let me know the next time a Democrat leaves office w/ the economy worse off than when they started. Like the last 3 Republicans have.
    The GDP declined from the Bush to the Obama administration.

George W. Bush (R): 2.2%

Barack Obama (D): 1.62%
    Last edited by ExpressLane; 05-19-2022 at 08:48 PM.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

20. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Trump wasn't responsible for those trends, he inherited an economy on the rise, majority of economic indicators were pointing in the upward direction before he took office, that would have happened coming out of the Great Recession regardless of who was President, Trump's only accomplishment was not screwing it up
    he inherited a lowering unemployment -
    but getting it even lower isn't a guarantee.

The Obama recovery was for the "1%"s - remember them?
    It's because the wage gains for lower and middle income lagged behind higher percentile earners.

see the rest of his accomplishments. Presidents get credit or blame for their record
    I wish he was still around "not screwing up" unlike this bozo biden

21. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The GDP declined from the Bush to the Obama administration.

George W. Bush (R): 2.2%

Barack Obama (D): 1.62%
    LOL

I wonder how long you had to search for that cherrypick.

Bush CRASHED THE ECONOMY. Obama led the longest recovery in decades.

Not even a good try.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

christiefan915 (05-20-2022), Coolred44 (05-23-2022)