Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Can there be a proof of God?

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Incorrect, that's just your anger and resentment revealing itself.

I keep my mouth shut on subjects I lack knowledge in. You can search until the cows come home, but you will be hard pressed to find any posts from me on threads concerning the stock market, the Federal Reserve, major league baseball, etc
    you are too immature to bother with

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

I'm agnostic. I am trying to understand the nature of proof implied by the OP. Because I am dubious of the very concept of proof outside of mathematics.

To begin with, it seems like God would have to have an ego to perform extraordinary acts to convince the world of his presence. What if God is more like the God of the Deists, universalists, or Spinoza's God?

What's an example of something God could do to prove to seven billion people he is the Abrahamistic God, rather than some advanced technology from alien civilizations? It would be nice to have a specific example of how that would work..

And how would God convince billions of Hindus, Buddhists, Jains Zoroastrians, and animists that any demonstration of miraculous power is actually the Christian God, and not any other spiritual manifestation associated with other cultural traditions?

I am just trying to understand how it would work.
    My personal position on the question of gods is:

I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;
    I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;
    I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;
    I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

Obviously an agnostic position. So we are both coming from an agnostic position.

I could care less about whether you suppose there are no proof outside mathematics; whether or not any god that might exist has an "ego" or not; whether it is the Abrahamic god or not; or any of the other concerns you are raising.

The question is, "Can there be a proof of God?"...and I am saying YES THERE CAN BE IF THERE IS A GOD. THE GOD CAN REVEAL ITSELF IN AN UNAMBIGUOUS WAY IF IT CHOOSES TO DO SO.

Jesus H. Christ, Cypress...what in hell is your problem with that?
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-22-2022)

4. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Honor View Post
    If you're agnostic why do you give a damn if there is a God?
    What makes you suppose an agnostic position makes one "not give a damn if there are gods?"

God has his own ways to prove he exists to TRUE believers!
    IF there is a GOD...it could make itself known. These "TRUE believers" want to pretend that their blind guesses are a god making itself known.

Sounds a lot like bullshit to me.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

5. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Of course it is. And, of course, you are wrong as usual.
    BINGO!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-22-2022)

7. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Translation: I can't explain myself.

No worries. It's good they allow you computer time so you can interact with the real world outside of your "home".
    While going Dutch with "they", those under color of law Uncle Sam whom seems to be the national religion of Christiananality pedophilia's "man is God" in centuries of suicidal cognitive dissonance super egos organized proof of themselves; just as Russia's rootin' tootin' Putin expunging Ukraine for fabricated Nazi misnomers while bungling GI Joe Biden maintains the holy trinity of "serve the Pope or die" baptize thine eyes by urinations followed with an immaculate drug conception preceding murder aforethought malfeasance that maybe a computer can unravel since it's Klues Klucks duh Klans.

8. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    So...you think that a god who could make the hundreds of billions of galaxies...each filled with hundreds of billions of suns...would not be able to give incontrovertible proof of its existence.

Okay. What can I say?

I think you are doing what theists do, Cypress...coming from a position of supposed certainty that no gods exist...except they come from a position of supposed certainty that at least one does exist.

Nothing wrong with either side making blind guesses...and pretending they have value.
    I'm agnostic. I am trying to understand the nature of proof implied by the OP. Because I am dubious of the very concept of proof outside of mathematics.

To begin with, it seems like God would have to have an ego to perform extraordinary acts to convince the world of his presence. What if God is more like the God of the Deists, universalists, or Spinoza's God?

What's an example of something God could do to prove to seven billion people he is the Abrahamistic God, rather than some advanced technology from alien civilizations? It would be nice to have a specific example of how that would work..

And how would God convince billions of Hindus, Buddhists, Jains Zoroastrians, and animists that any demonstration of miraculous power is actually the Christian God, and not any other spiritual manifestation associated with other cultural traditions?

I am just trying to understand how it would work.
    to both of you......and what if God simply chose to create a situation where people chose to believe in him based upon a choice to love him rather than because they had no other possibilities?......if you were God would you want to have an eternity with pre-programed robots?.....

your arguments are "COULD God have proven his existence if he chose to.......the thread is about "HAS God provided proof of his existence that is currently accessible"........you waste your time arguing with each other........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    to both of you......and what if God simply chose to create a situation where people chose to believe in him based upon a choice to love him rather than because they had no other possibilities?......if you were God would you want to have an eternity with pre-programed robots?.....

your arguments are "COULD God have proven his existence if he chose to.......the thread is about "HAS God provided proof of his existence that is currently accessible"........you waste your time arguing with each other........
    Who's arguing? Articulating opinions and asking questions is a dialectic, not an argument.

There might be posts here containing grievances, annoyance, and personal digs at other posters, but none of those posts belong to me.

I personally don't think God, Vishnu, Brahman, the Dao, or any of the rest are going to perform magic tricks to prove their existence, assuming they even exist..

And I don't think the concept of proof is as easy, unambiguous, and clear cut as is being assumed.

10. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Honor View Post
    Yes,the history of the Jews
    No, evidence is something that can be either reproduced, or confirmed. The stories in the Hebrew bible do not achieve that evidentiary level

The best argument the theists have is the fine tuning of the physical constants of the universe. But even that is not really convincing evidence, because it cannot rule out alternative hypotheses.

11. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My personal position on the question of gods is:

I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;
    I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;
    I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;
    I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

Obviously an agnostic position. So we are both coming from an agnostic position.

I could care less about whether you suppose there are no proof outside mathematics; whether or not any god that might exist has an "ego" or not; whether it is the Abrahamic god or not; or any of the other concerns you are raising.

The question is, "Can there be a proof of God?"...and I am saying YES THERE CAN BE IF THERE IS A GOD. THE GOD CAN REVEAL ITSELF IN AN UNAMBIGUOUS WAY IF IT CHOOSES TO DO SO.

Jesus H. Christ, Cypress...what in hell is your problem with that?
    Okay, I was just asking if you knew what manner this proof would take. I just thought if we were talking about proof we would have some idea of what proof would look like.

But I get what you're saying in theory.

12. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Okay, I was just asking if you knew what manner this proof would take. I just thought if we were talking about proof we would have some idea of what proof would look like.

But I get what you're saying in theory.
    IF there is a "maker" of the entire universe and all the complexity of it...

...making humans understand without doubt that it exists would be a piece of cake.

If you are asking what a mere human might guess about the nature of how that would be done...you just are not groking the nature of my reply.

Are there any gods? I HAVE NO IDEA.

What would be the nature of a "proof?" I HAVE NO IDEA.

13. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    you are too immature to bother with
    You frequently try to make the topic of the thread about me.

If you can't stick to the topic of your own making, and prefer to indulge your petty personal resentments, create a thread about me in the war zone.

14. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

IF there is a "maker" of the entire universe and all the complexity of it...

...making humans understand without doubt that it exists would be a piece of cake.

If you are asking what a mere human might guess about the nature of how that would be done...you just are not groking the nature of my reply.

Are there any gods? I HAVE NO IDEA.

What would be the nature of a "proof?" I HAVE NO IDEA.
    I think we have a very good idea of what nature of proof God is likely to give, because we have a written testament of it. Jesus is reputed to have performed many miracles in the bible.

On the other hand, I don't think Christian Theology envisions a scenario in which God does something that forcibly compels people to believe in him, because that contradicts the Christian doctrine of free will

I agree with you that there is no convincing evidence of God, I don't know if God exists, and even if it did it might be completely unfathomable for my human cognition to even grasp.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Frank Apisa (05-22-2022)

16. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, evidence is something that can be either reproduced, or confirmed. The stories in the Hebrew bible do not achieve that evidentiary level

The best argument the theists have is the fine tuning of the physical constants of the universe. But even that is not really convincing evidence, because it cannot rule out alternative hypotheses.
    Nothing will convince you ,because you don't seek God!
    And you'll never find God till you seek God.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

17. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think we have a very good idea of what nature of proof God is likely to give, because we have a written testament of it. Jesus is reputed to have performed many miracles in the bible.

On the other hand, I don't think Christian Theology envisions a scenario in which God does something that forcibly compels people to believe in him, because that contradicts the Christian doctrine of free will

I agree with you that there is no convincing evidence of God, I don't know if God exists, and even if it did it might be completely unfathomable for my human cognition to even grasp.
    You'll never know till you seek God.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

18. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mason View Post
    Nothing will convince you ,because you don't seek God!
    And you'll never find God till you seek God.
    You are correct.

My guess is you have not put the effort into seeking Zeus.

If you did...REALLY, TRULY DID...

...you'd find him.