Thread: Ban on protests in front of homes signed by Gov. DeSantis

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,898 Times in 21,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    then why are you upset about this new law signed by DeSantis? are you just needing to be a little bitch about it?
    I don’t believe free speech should be limited in that way, but I do believe it should be illegal to yell fire in a non-burning theater.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I don’t believe free speech should be limited in that way, but I do believe it should be illegal to yell fire in a non-burning theater.
    as a lawyer, you should have been informed that that decision has been overturned, right?

https://www.popehat.com/2012/09/19/t...ip-are-enough/
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,303 Times in 13,425 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Nobody will trespass.
    History proves you wrong

9 BLM protesters cited for trespassing in St. Louis
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/nine-blm-...be-any-charges

Protesters Arrested for Trespassing at Ted Cruz’s Texas Home
    https://news.yahoo.com/protestors-ar...115758410.html

Protesters trespass regularly, damn near universally. It's part of what they do, particularly Leftist protests.

4. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    So, do your second Amendment rights work the same way?
    Existential fallacy. The two amendments are not one in the same thing nor are they interchangeable. But even so, to some degree, yes they do work the same way. Want a machinegun? You can get one with a permit. No different than a special case where a large protest has to get a permit. I can't shoot firearms wherever I want, nor can I protest wherever I want. There are limits on both.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

ExpressLane (05-17-2022)

6. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    If I wear a "DeSantis is De Satan" t-shirt and walk down the sidewalk in front of the Governor's mansion, should I be arrested for "protesting"?
    Trivial objection in the form of an reductio ad absurdum.

7. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,243 Times in 6,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,852 Times in 1,715 Posts

Conservatives seemed to have no issue whatsoever w/ this when it was MAGA protesting outside of the homes of election officials in 2020...

8. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    It's fascinating how fast the right wing in this country is oscillating between posing as first amendment champions and actually trying to use the government to restrict freedom of assembly and speech. The basic rule seems to be that when a private entity enforces terms of use for their services, that's an egregious restriction of people's fundamental rights, whereas when the government punishes people for their political speech, that's just fine.
    The Capitol is the peoples house yet they fence it off to keep us off public property. Something like 500 peaceful protesters have been in jail for 16 months simply for protesting our corrupt government.

9. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,263 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    stay off my lawn
    That's not a bad request for protestors! Lawns can be damaged by an abundance of traffic and no one should have a right to destroy one's property.

Protesting on the sidewalks only and staying off people's lawns demonstrates manners, but maybe not!

I do not believe that protests are appropriate in front of homes- Office and government buildings yes and public squares yes- but not in front of peoples homes.

I remember when the Tea Party and other White Supremacy groups used to do that, and it didn't seem appropriate to me then either.

The family members and neighbors of politicians should not have to deal with protestors in front of their homes- even if the politician in the family or neighborhood is a real DICK!

I also believe that all public protests should have to require a permit from the police department to protest, and that all protests should be granted automatically, with the exception of protests in front of people's homes. But that gives the police departments fair warning to patrol protests as a precaution to keep them safe and orderly.

And remember- The White House is somebody's home too!

Also, if the property is zoned commercial property- even though people take up residency there- it should be fair game to protest in front of!

But that is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 05-17-2022 at 01:58 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

anatta (05-17-2022)

11. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 62 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    The Capitol is the peoples house yet they fence it off to keep us off public property. Something like 500 peaceful protesters have been in jail for 16 months simply for protesting our corrupt government.
    As you'll recall, there was a violent insurrection against our nation, in which insurrectionists breached a security perimeter in hopes of voiding the election and installing their preferred leader as dictator. Now, obviously, that's a far cry from peacefully standing outside someone's home in protest. If those who are protesting leaders end up breaking into their homes and beating some of them mercilessly, then by all means they belong in prison. But there are already laws on the books that provide for that. This is about preventing even those peaceful assemblies adjacent to their properties.

12. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    That's not a bad request for protestors! Lawns can be damaged by an abundance of traffic and no one should have a right to destroy one's property.

Protesting on the sidewalks only and staying off people's lawns demonstrates manners, but maybe not!

I do not believe that protests are appropriate in front of homes- Office and government buildings yes and public squares yes- but not in front of peoples homes.

I remember when the Tea Party and other White Supremacy groups used to do that, and it didn't seem appropriate to me then either.

The family members and neighbors of politicians should not have to deal with protestors in front of their homes- even if the politician in the family or neighborhood is a real DICK!

I also believe that all public protests should have to require a permit from the police department to protest, and that all protests should be granted automatically, with the exception of protests in front of people's homes. But that gives the police departments fair warning to patrol protests as a precaution to keep them safe and orderly.

But that is just my opinion.
    We have a constitutional right to protest in front of private property, no state can take that away. It's usually media who set up camp with news vans, lighting, and your phone number so if a governor wants to end protesting, they also have to end media rights too.

Julian Assange and countless other journalists are being locked up or murdered for believing they have constitutional rights.

13. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

I hope the shit stain progressives make a big deal abut this

they are fine with mask mandates and forcing business to close - but you are a fascist if you don't let me picket outside of someone's home

please run with that platform you shit stain idiots

14. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As you'll recall, there was a violent insurrection against our nation, in which insurrectionists breached a security perimeter in hopes of voiding the election and installing their preferred leader as dictator. Now, obviously, that's a far cry from peacefully standing outside someone's home in protest. If those who are protesting leaders end up breaking into their homes and beating some of them mercilessly, then by all means they belong in prison. But there are already laws on the books that provide for that. This is about preventing even those peaceful assemblies adjacent to their properties.
    About 200 of the 700 capitol protesters were violent and only after they were hit with stun grenades and pepper spray. Legacy media never tells you how or why the violence started. The 500 peaceful protesters are still being help in jail without bail.

15. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,034 Times in 14,529 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

People who protest in front of private residences in Florida can face jail time and fines under a bill signed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Anyone who protests in front of a private residence in Florida can face jail time and fines under a bill Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed Monday.

The legislation makes it a second-degree misdemeanor to protest in a manner that is aimed at intentionally harassing or disturbing someone in their home. Violators face 60 days in jail and fines of up to $500.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...antis-84762843

Wow he doesn't even pretend. He truly is a fascist. People being thrown in jail for exercising their First Amendment rights?

I predict many people will be protesting in front of his house to spite him. They won't be enough rooms in jail.
    Pretty sure this won't pass muster in court. Where will they put 10,000 protestors who show up in front of his house?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

AProudLefty (05-17-2022)

17. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,179 Times in 14,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is a public street, not private. It isn't trespassing. If they are blocking the street, the cops will disperse. What's next? Making it illegal to protest in front of government and business places? That is your logic.
    Trying to intimidate a judge into ruling the way you want him to is obstruction of justice.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

18. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

The government is not supposed to limit the right of the people to peaceably assemble and petition for a redress of grievances, nor to restrict freedom of speech. These are EXACTLY the things the founders had in mind with the First Amendment. The Sons of Liberty, for example, had famously demonstrated at the homes of various officials to protest things like the Stamp Act. The line the Founders drew was between peaceful assembly and non-peaceful assembly, not whether it was in front of a private home or a public building or workplace.
    courts have long distinguished between sidewalks and public property used by a business vs an individual - thankfully.

sorry shit stains - you are not petitioning government when you harrass people outside their homes

https://www.freedomforuminstitute.or...vate-property/

also - the Sons of liberty understood the bill of rights only applied to the Federal Government - not the states. so you are just being your usual retarded self here. that changed with the 14th amendment, long after they were dead