Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Predictions -- Some History for the Coward

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 62 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    You should worry about defending your own position....
    As you can see, I did. That's why you had your little meltdown. It was adorable.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mina For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-16-2022)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 62 Times in 55 Posts

You aren't banned from my threads...
    Glad to hear it. I've always felt that kind of censorship signaled a real cowardice. A person should have the courage to take on all challenges to her positions... and the courage to change positions if it turns out they can't be defended.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    get lost you cowardly troll
    wald was wrong.

caring about the environment has been hijacked by nazi eugenicist power fiends.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackwater Lunchbreak For This Post:

Earl (05-17-2022)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,114 Times in 11,687 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Prima was right. Wald was wrong, I believe Prima is British and lives In Thailand. I live in Georgia, home state of the Georgia peach, Ty Cobb.

Wald was wrong ...so was Algore (sic).

We ban loons like you because we know that you will post the usual far left garbage.
    You can obviously see that such bans don't work.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Earl (05-17-2022), gfm7175 (05-16-2022)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,114 Times in 11,687 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

He wasn't talking about arms control, sweetie.

He was talking about population control and climate change.

"The author of 1968’s “The Population Bomb” was another gloom-and-doom prophet who made so many failed predictions over the years that it’s almost hard to keep count

Climatologists lay out four possible future trajectories for the environment. Alarmists seized on the worst one. It’s also the least likely.

It’s time for the global-warming crowd to realize, once and for all, that civilization isn’t ending – not in 1985 and not in 2100. And those are the cold facts.

“Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”

Harvard biologist George Wald made that claim in 1970.

So if Wald had been correct, just about everything would have crumbled to ruin sometime between 1985 and 2000.

Wald, however, wasn’t alone. He and others came up with some incredibly over-the-top predictions as the 1960s came to a close.

“Earth Day” founder Denis Hayes, for example, didn’t hedge his bets: “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation.” Or take Paul Ehrlich (please). The author of 1968’s “The Population Bomb” was another gloom-and-doom prophet who made so many failed predictions over the years that it’s almost hard to keep count.

“Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” he said in a 1970 interview. “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next 10 years.”

Off by about 180 degrees. Food production spiked in the ensuing years. And starvation on such a massive scale never materialized, thank God.
    Radical Doom and Gloom predictions like this are the way fear mongers justify themselves. Many religions depend on them for this reason as well, including the Church of Global Warming, the Church of Green, the Church of the Ozone Hole, and the Church of Covid.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Earl (05-17-2022)

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,856 Times in 3,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    Since one of our posters was too frightened of people being exposed to facts to allow open participation in a thread, I figured I'd post here:
    Kudos to you for doing this!! I also do this whenever someone bans me from a particular thread that I wish to participate in. What I find is that people then shift over to the "free speech" thread instead, and the original thread dies shortly thereafter.

This stuff can be misleading out of context. Wald was a peace activist concerned about the threat of nuclear war, speaking just a few years after the Cuban missile crisis had brought us to the brink of doomsday. He was arguing, among other things, in favor of deescalating the nuclear standoff between the US and USSR. At the time, the US did, in fact, take immediate action to address that, including the SALT nuclear arms limitation treaty, signed in 1972 (the first such treaty). Would civilization have fallen by 1985 or 2000 if not for round after round of talks and treaties to deescalate the nuclear threat? That's impossible to say, at this point.
    There have been countless doomsday predictions that have not happened. There have been countless Church of Global Warming "prophets" who have tried and failed at predicting the date of "climate apocalypse". This is no different than the Christian "prophets" who try to predict the date of the "end of the world".

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,105 Times in 12,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,443 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries

NOTE: Insect and bird populations are in collapse.

Buckle Up.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,856 Times in 3,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Legion, Earl, Primavera....probably same person. Antagonizes the liberals and bans them. Total pussy.
    "I see sock people!!!""

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,105 Times in 12,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,443 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seafood populations are in collapse too, but that seems to be mostly because of Chinese over fishing.

If you like seafood eat up now!
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Prima was right. Wald was wrong, I believe Prima is British and lives In Thailand. I live in Georgia, home state of the Georgia peach, Ty Cobb.

Wald was wrong ...so was Algore (sic).

We ban loons like you because we know that you will post the usual far left garbage.
    I noticed that I'm back on your thread-ban list again. It's because you started yet another alt-RW conspiracy stew thread, I posted facts from credible sources that proved you wrong, and you got butt-hurt.

Most people just ignore you because they're wise. Those of us on the left who dare to contradict your whacktoid propaganda with reality must be silenced.

Talk about chickenshit!
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Mina (05-16-2022)

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

get lost you cowardly troll
    You get lost, you dementia patient. Shouldn't even be that difficult.
    Anonymity is priceless!

17. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,259 Times in 7,142 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

The retarded Paranoid skitzoids and DOOM and Gloom idiots of today are some of the same old farts that stocked their shelves full of Cheetos, Dr. Pepper, and Charmin' and told us we were all going to die when the ball dropped in the year 2,000!

They apparently all turned into TRUMPTARDS eventually and are back at it again!

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,218 Times in 13,952 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

Got to love the diplomatic approach, "since one of our posters was too frightened of people being exposed to facts to allow open participation in a thread, I figured I'd post here, well said

And "Wald" was speaking twenty years after the world witnessed the immense power of the atomic bomb, the destruction and perceived threat, mostly from radiation, was fresh on people's mind. The whole fifties decade was defined by "living with the bomb," the era of the great black and white monster films where Godzilla and the like were awakened by radiation, kids did school drills, emergency broadcast systems, air raid centers where the people were suppose to flee when the sirens rang out. It was an era of paranoia

So when a person in the early sixties, after living thru the Cuba missile crisis, authors a warning over the possibility of uncontrolled nuclear weapons wrecking horror in the future isn't all that abnormal nor worthy of ridicule sixty years later

The first poster who seemingly banned others took the warning totally out of context

19. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Mina (05-16-2022)

20. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,067 Times in 3,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

Since one of our posters was too frightened of people being exposed to facts to allow open participation in a thread, I figured I'd post here:

This stuff can be misleading out of context. Wald was a peace activist concerned about the threat of nuclear war, speaking just a few years after the Cuban missile crisis had brought us to the brink of doomsday. He was arguing, among other things, in favor of deescalating the nuclear standoff between the US and USSR. At the time, the US did, in fact, take immediate action to address that, including the SALT nuclear arms limitation treaty, signed in 1972 (the first such treaty). Would civilization have fallen by 1985 or 2000 if not for round after round of talks and treaties to deescalate the nuclear threat? That's impossible to say, at this point.
    It's pretty amazing how many here think that if the prediction is "If we don't do something then this will happen" is wrong when we do something and the predicted outcome doesn't occur.

If you told them you have to put on your brakes or we will run into that brick wall and then if the brakes are applied and we don't run into the brick wall they will claim you were wrong to tell them to apply the brakes since we didn't hit the wall.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Mina (05-16-2022)

22. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Doomsday Predictions -- Some History for the Coward
    why do you think Biden is a coward.....is it because he's afraid of Putin?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Earl (05-17-2022)