Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World trade and my computer

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,340 Times in 8,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Default World trade and my computer

I ordered one of the new Macbook Pro's in early March. The delivery date was set for the unusually far away April 20th. Then with lockdowns, it was shifted to "June 7 - June 22". May was completely skipped over.

Apparently the workers in China have not even been allowed to go back to their onsite dorms, and are getting angry. They have smashed down barricades, and attacked police. China is not a country that tolerates attacks on police, so this is bad.

People I know at Apple say that it is worse than the news is reporting. Obviously, my computer is unimportant compared to the human beings involved, but it is a way to personalize it to me.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/05/06/hundr...ovid-barriers/
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."
    trump is a child rapist. We all know it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Code1211 (05-08-2022), Doc Dutch (05-08-2022), Guno צְבִי (05-09-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I ordered one of the new Macbook Pro's in early March. The delivery date was set for the unusually far away April 20th. Then with lockdowns, it was shifted to "June 7 - June 22". May was completely skipped over.

Apparently the workers in China have not even been allowed to go back to their onsite dorms, and are getting angry. They have smashed down barricades, and attacked police. China is not a country that tolerates attacks on police, so this is bad.

People I know at Apple say that it is worse than the news is reporting. Obviously, my computer is unimportant compared to the human beings involved, but it is a way to personalize it to me.

Food riots are coming back to America. The wealthiest empire in history has 42% of its people going hungry. Our militarized police will be brutalizing and killing people asking for food. This is what we are.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Food riots are coming back to America. The wealthiest empire in history has 42% of its people going hungry. Our militarized police will be brutalizing and killing people asking for food. This is what we are.
    What if that does not happen? Will you then vote to reelect Biden? You seem to seriously believe that is going to happen, and if it does not, you should seriously reevaluate your positions.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The wealthiest empire in history has 42% of its people going hungry.
    Food insecurity rates have been jumping up and down a bit lately, but they are usually around 10%. That is a chance of going hungry, the number actually going hungry is much lower. 42% is a fantasy land number.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food...tics-graphics/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Code1211 (05-08-2022)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What if that does not happen? Will you then vote to reelect Biden? You seem to seriously believe that is going to happen, and if it does not, you should seriously reevaluate your positions.
    Chris Smalls started a class war movement that is spreading like wildfire. His message is that workers need to ignore the left/right divide being pushed on us by politicians and media. Don't let politics get in the way of basic human rights.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Chris Smalls started a class war movement that is spreading like wildfire. His message is that workers need to ignore the left/right divide being pushed on us by politicians and media. Don't let politics get in the way of basic human rights.
    Smalls started a union in one Amazon facility. It has spread nowhere. It was not the first attempt at a union in an Amazon facility. A union is not about a left/right divide, but rather a management/labor divide.

But you did not answer my question: if food riots, and mass starvation in America does not happen, will you reconsider your position?

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Smalls started a union in one Amazon facility. It has spread nowhere. It was not the first attempt at a union in an Amazon facility. A union is not about a left/right divide, but rather a management/labor divide.

But you did not answer my question: if food riots, and mass starvation in America does not happen, will you reconsider your position?
    The food riots of 1931 gave us the New Deal. Chris Smalls gave us the Workers Bill of Rights. You can't put that genie back in the bottle. People are showing their power so politicians are frightened.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Idk about all that.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You know what lockdowns are in China? Their lockdowns=welding the front door of an apartment building shut.

They're locked down right now. It's a shame because that doesn't work to stop Covid and just makes people suffer.

I bet a lot of them have "fire ropes" and do a bit of moving around when nobody's looking.

You know they have suicide nets outside the Apple factory windows there, right?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...1-12-hour.html
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 05-08-2022 at 01:26 AM.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The food riots of 1931 gave us the New Deal.
    Seven people were arrested, and one shop owner had his arm broken. It was too small to get FDR elected.

And more importantly the real problem during the Great Depression was a lack of money. There was more than enough food, but people did not have the money to buy it. In fact, part of the cause of the Great Depression was lower food prices making less income for farmers.

Chris Smalls gave us the Workers Bill of Rights.
    Smalls has done one thing so far, given a Staten Island warehouse the right to unionize. They have not even actually unionized, much less gave all Americans a "Workers Bill of Rights."

People are showing their power so politicians are frightened.
    So wait, are you siding with Smalls and the people, or are you siding with the politicians?

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    You know what lockdowns are in China? Their lockdowns=welding the front door of an apartment building shut.
    That used to be their lockdowns. It has gotten much more brutal since then. They are now forcing workers to stay at their work stations for months at a time.

They're locked down right now. It's a shame because that doesn't work to stop Covid and just makes people suffer.
    Lockdowns definitely worked in the past. But Omicron seems too contagious to be controlled even by draconian Chinese lockdowns.

I bet a lot of them have "fire ropes" and do a bit of moving around when nobody's looking.
    You do not seem to understand how crowded factories work.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That used to be their lockdowns. It has gotten much more brutal since then. They are now forcing workers to stay at their work stations for months at a time.

Lockdowns definitely worked in the past. But Omicron seems too contagious to be controlled even by draconian Chinese lockdowns.

You do not seem to understand how crowded factories work.
    So you're suddenly an expert on crowded factories?

Do tell about your Chinese manufacturing days, Walty.

PS: Lockdowns didn't do a thing to stop Covid; What they did do is destroy the world economy and food production.

You'll be feeling that. Owait, you already are. 3 months later and no Mac laptop for you!

I bet I could order an Asus with more power and have it here in 3 days.

Have it emulate your Mac OS.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Actual, real world reports like the one you have posted here are revealing.

It shows a couple things:

1. The Propaganda issued by the US government is outright lies and we are in sheeper dip than they wish to allow us to know.
    2. The impact of Covid in China is extreme and the propaganda issued by that country's lying thieves regarding the success of their draconian Covid Response shows they are in sheeper dip than they want anyone to know, also.

We can't know what is actually going on. The flow of information is crippled, intentionally crippled, by the lying thieves in government(s).

We can ask a question, though, that will help to clear up our questions:

"If this is true, what else must be true?"

You can't get your computer. We all used to be able to get a computer off the shelf on the day we wanted to buy it. Now the wait is increased from minutes to months.

Why is the world falling apart and who is making it fall apart?

Why is the formerly very efficient and formerly very responsive free market commerce now an ever growing, ever expanding mess?

Over my life, supplies of everything constantly got better and better and quality and abundance only improved. Now, since 2019, everything has turned to crap.

WTF? What's going on?

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

As the intrusion of government into our everyday lives expands, the abundance of everything that we used to enjoy and take for granted is evaporating.

Might be a connection.

Ronald Reagan said, “The nine most terrifying words in the English language are ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’”

Seems like he was right. AGAIN.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

and you lefties admire xi and his surveillance/slave state fascism.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blackwater Lunchbreak For This Post:

Code1211 (05-08-2022), Matt Dillon (05-09-2022)