Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The GOP...a WASP nest

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 344 Times in 322 Posts

Default The GOP...a WASP nest

Pew Poll: Dems Making Massive Gains As GOP Deteriorates

In seven short years, the American electorate has radically changed, as voters' priorities have shifted to the economy and away from such wedge issues as abortion and gay rights, as well as away from the threat of terrorism and from the war in Iraq, according to a comprehensive survey released Thursday morning by the Pew Research Center.

From 2002 to 2009, voters' partisan identification has moved from virtual parity -- 43 percent Republican and 43 percent Democratic at the height of George W. Bush's popularity in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 -- to a massive Democratic advantage today of 53 to 36, a 17 percentage point split, by far the largest difference in the past two decades.

The GOP is currently 88 percent non-Hispanic white; it has grown steadily older, from an average of 45.5 years in 2000 to 48.3 years in 2009; it is increasingly dependent on self-identified white evangelicals (35 percent of today's GOP, on Southerners (39 percent of today's GOP), and on voters who describe themselves as conservative (66 percent of today's Republican electorate). Those who espouse conservative views on the family, homosexuality and civil liberties -- a population which was in the majority in 1987 -- have fallen to the 50 percent level or below, the Pew survey found.

"The Republican Party is facing formidable demographic challenges," Kohut wrote in a report describing the new Pew findings. "Its constituents are aging and do not reflect the growing ethnic and racial diversity of the general public. As was the case at the beginning of this decade, Republicans are predominantly non-Hispanic whites (88%). Among Democrats, the proportion of non-Hispanic whites has declined from 64% in 2000 to 56%, as Latinos and people from other racial backgrounds have joined the ranks of the Democrats."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/21/obamas-new-electorate-pol_n_206249.html
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
    John Kenneth Galbraith

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

The rumor of it's death has been greatly over exaggerated.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

I was at work the last couple of days doing some Annual Training for the Guard, and thus I managed to catch a few hours of Fox News in the break room. According to Beck, both parties are going into freefall with regard to membership, and the Dems have fallen to where the GOP was some months ago before much of the most severe fallout.

Some guy wrote a book called "Independent America" or some such title about the concurrent rise of Independents to record high levels.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sad that we have virtually no truely independent candidates to vote for.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    However, the illness has been diagnosed correctly.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

More like pissants than wasps though.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    I don't know. On the surface I would agree with you but what's odd about the present situation is how conservative Republicans, those whom control the party apparatus at present, are reacting.

Politics is first and foremost a transactional busines, you know? Quid Pro Quo, you scratch my back and I scratch yours, and all that. Conservative Republicans have moved strongly away from that. They identify to heavily with ideology and being conservative then to practical political objectives.

Now most political parties when faced with the reality of a rapidly declining constituency understand that reform is in order for that party unless they wish to face electoral irrelevence but that's not happening with Republicans. Faced with the facts that this and other polls are showing, you would think the Republican party would be shitting it self and have a high priority of changing their message and adjusting their coalition so at to be competative in obtaining a ruling majority.

Insteady, they are reacting as if the life of the party is under attack. That if the party changes or shift ideology and/or it's identity that it would all together cease to represent their values and so the powers that be in the Republican party are shifting farther and farther to the reactionary right which, to state the obvious, is not politically tenable.

So will losing enough seats in the legislative branch to give Dems a super majority while we have a sitting Democratic President be enough of a warning shot for Republicans to reform their party if they don't wish to become completely irrelevant?

I would think it would but hell I though that would have happened sooner and not later so I"m not so sure now that it will happen.

So maybe the demise of the Republican party isn't being exagerated.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,326 Times in 9,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 511 Times in 484 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mottleydude View Post
    I don't know. On the surface I would agree with you but what's odd about the present situation is how conservative Republicans, those whom control the party apparatus at present, are reacting.

Politics is first and foremost a transactional busines, you know? Quid Pro Quo, you scratch my back and I scratch yours, and all that. Conservative Republicans have moved strongly away from that. They identify to heavily with ideology and being conservative then to practical political objectives.

Now most political parties when faced with the reality of a rapidly declining constituency understand that reform is in order for that party unless they wish to face electoral irrelevence but that's not happening with Republicans. Faced with the facts that this and other polls are showing, you would think the Republican party would be shitting it self and have a high priority of changing their message and adjusting their coalition so at to be competative in obtaining a ruling majority.

Insteady, they are reacting as if the life of the party is under attack. That if the party changes or shift ideology and/or it's identity that it would all together cease to represent their values and so the powers that be in the Republican party are shifting farther and farther to the reactionary right which, to state the obvious, is not politically tenable.

So will losing enough seats in the legislative branch to give Dems a super majority while we have a sitting Democratic President be enough of a warning shot for Republicans to reform their party if they don't wish to become completely irrelevant?

I would think it would but hell I though that would have happened sooner and not later so I"m not so sure now that it will happen.

So maybe the demise of the Republican party isn't being exagerated.
    Some people don't view politics as merely a quid pro quo business. your framing of politics as something expected to be corrupt and acceptable as corrupted is what's wrong with politics.
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition
    https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/trump

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    Some people don't view politics as merely a quid pro quo business. your framing of politics as something expected to be corrupt and acceptable as corrupted is what's wrong with politics.
    Those people are niave and don't understand politics. Politics has alway.....let me repeat that "ALWAYS" been a transactional business. If you do not know when and how and where to compromise you cannot possibly succeed in politics.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those people are niave and don't understand politics. Politics has alway.....let me repeat that "ALWAYS" been a transactional business. If you do not know when and how and where to compromise you cannot possibly succeed in politics.
    You advocate criminality. How sad for you.
    morality is a set of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships.

Trump Wins,
    by definition

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Weren't you supposed to be eating pudding with your plastic spoon?

You're a fool and you don't understand politics.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Weren't you supposed to be eating pudding with your plastic spoon?

You're a fool and you don't understand politics.
    Yet I continually make you look foolish.

Trump Wins,
    by definition

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Criminality? Maybe Barry Goldwater can kill two birds with one stone, explain politics AND what has derailed the Republican Party...

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
    Barry Goldwater (R) – Late Senator & Father of the Conservative movement

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bfgrn View Post
    Criminality? Maybe Barry Goldwater can kill two birds with one stone, explain politics AND what has derailed the Republican Party...

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
    Barry Goldwater (R) – Late Senator & Father of the Conservative movement
    The major stone that kills all the birds is the commitment to internationalist fascism both parties display.

Conservatives like it cuz it's pro "business", liberals like it because destructive to american workers, whom they all are trained to hate in their ivory towers.

Trump Wins,
    by definition

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The major stone that kills all the birds is the commitment to internationalist fascism both parties display.

Conservatives like it cuz it's pro "business", liberals like it because destructive to american workers, whom they all are trained to hate in their ivory towers.
    What is internationalist fascism?
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
    John Kenneth Galbraith