Thread: more warrantless searches?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Default more warrantless searches?

FCC can search homes without a warrant, agency says

Have a Wi-Fi router? If you do — and it uses an unlicensed frequency — you could be subject to a warrantless search of your home.

Federal Communications Commission guidelines stipulate that the agency can enter property when it suspects radio frequency energy is being abused. The provision, which was originally intended to aid the monitoring of unlicensed radio and tv stations, now has a broader range of application as more consumers join the wi-fi ranks.

“Anything using RF energy — we have the right to inspect it to make sure it is not causing interference,” FCC spokesman David Fiske told Wired for an article Thursday. The FCC spokesman said the scope included Wi-Fi routers.

“The FCC claims it derives its warrantless search power from the Communications Act of 1934
    yeah, come for a warrantless search of my house, biatch.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess hopped up power wifi units.
    Mine has an FCC certification sticker on it.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This is ridiculous. The fact that STY thinks this is even a real issue is pretty telling.

I'll pay $100 to the first person who can link me to a case where the FBI has entered someone's home using this excuse about WiFI networks (which by the way are FCC compliant as per their regulations on low power transmission devices-just read the back of the thing and it'll even tell you precisely which regulations).

Retarded.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Similarly, the same excuse could be just as much of a potential problem to anyone who owns a microwave, cordless phone, cellular phone, or intercom system.

RETARDED.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

from the article

“Under Section 303(n) of Title 47 U.S.C., the FCC has a right to inspect any transmitting devices that must be licensed under the Act. Nonetheless, they must have permission to enter your home, or some other basis for entering beyond their mere supervisorial powers. With proper notice, they do have a right to inspect your communications devices. If they have given you notice of a pending investigation, contact a lawyer immediately.”

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    from the article

“Under Section 303(n) of Title 47 U.S.C., the FCC has a right to inspect any transmitting devices that must be licensed under the Act. Nonetheless, they must have permission to enter your home, or some other basis for entering beyond their mere supervisorial powers. With proper notice, they do have a right to inspect your communications devices. If they have given you notice of a pending investigation, contact a lawyer immediately.”
    And why would I need a lawyer? If my FCC approved device is malfunctioning and causing others problems I would want to know.
    Do we need tort reform to take care of this frivilous stuff?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Whomever View Post
    And why would I need a lawyer? If my FCC approved device is malfunctioning and causing others problems I would want to know.
    Why would you need a lawyer?

Because governmental officials tend to have the idea that they have the right to do as they please when it comes to enforcing their power over you and that your Constitutional rights are subservient to their cause. They tend to abuse such power even when you are not doing anything wrong. Should they notify you of some investigation against your devices, I would suggest that you get a lawyer before they throw your ass into Guantanamo Bay as some kind of terrorist for having a malfunctioning modem.

Immie
    Here's to the end of our two leading "tyrannical" political parties and the restoration of our government of the people, by the people, for the people.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

trust me, YOU need all the help you can get

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

typical idiot liberal, always thinking that the gov is there to help you.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.