Thread: Oh Lord, where Ark thou?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,633 Times in 9,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Ummm....I'd have to see the science behind that idea. Why doesn't California use that idea to stop the drought?
    I'm thinking that could be a disaster of Biblical proportions
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,421 Times in 52,445 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mason View Post
    I'm thinking that could be a disaster of Biblical proportions
    Okey dokey then.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Okey dokey then.
    Re thinking ,maybe there would be a way to control a hydrogen burn in a special factory to create water.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Re thinking ,maybe there would be a way to control a hydrogen burn in a special factory to create water.
    Isn't that how the astronauts do it?

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Isn't that how the astronauts do it?
    I'm not sure, that's a good question.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure, that's a good question.
    Solar powered electricity can be used to separate the H from the O2 in urine resulting on pure hydrogen and pure Oxygen with the nitrates and other impurities considered waste. Adding a spark to the H and the O2, as you already know, creates pure H2O also resulting in heat energy.

Solar power is free power. Electrolysis takes energy. The US Space Program worked extensively with this tech.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...m_A19730934000
    The Apollo Command Module's primary source of electric power was from a set of three "fuel cells" housed in the Service Module. Each fuel cell combines hydrogen and oxygen to produce electricity and water. The water was used for drinking by the astronaut crew. Each of the fuel cell power plants contain 31 separate cells connected in series. Each cell has hydrogen and an oxygen compartments and electrodes and in combination produce 27 to 31 volts. Normal power output for each power plant is 563 to 1420 watts, with a maximum of 2300 watts.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,726 Times in 4,159 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    /shrugs......he makes the same obvious errors atheists always make.......thus he's disproved nothing..
    Do tell? What are these "obvious errors" of which you speak?
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Honor View Post
    You don't know how high the water was BEFORE the flood!
    The Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit, so it doesn't matter how primitive the people were,that God chose to tell his story thru.
    Ahh, but Nye is pointing to basic logic based on PHYSICAL EVIDENCE. Using the Bible as "proof" that everything contained is true is a matter of faith, NOT logic, and certainly not fact based logic.

Creationist and fundamentalists MUST REJECT facts and logic after a certain point in order to maintain faith.
    Last edited by Taichiliberal; 05-02-2022 at 07:56 PM.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-02-2022)

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I am going to place greater weight on what the Jewish Rabbinic tradition says about it. Genesis is Jewish scripture and written by Jews, not by christians.
    Obviously there wasn't any Christians before Jesus!
    But there were prophesy of the coming of Jesus.
    Yep, and there lies the rub because you have rabbinical scholars who point out that the messiah has yet to appear, according to the religious dictate of terms.

Back to square one; what does Nye state that is NOT logical or accurate?
    Last edited by Taichiliberal; 05-02-2022 at 07:56 PM.

George Orwell

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Code1211 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    Some points of contention: you wrote, "...
    Finally, we see a guy like "Bill Nye, the Science Guy", noted charlatan and moron, asserting that this parable is a scientific recounting of an actual event."

FYI: Nye has a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Cornell. He also has six honorary doctorate degrees, including Ph.D.s in science from Goucher College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He was on the team at the NASA and California Institute of Technology’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory to design and create the MarsDial, a sundial and camera calibrator attached to the Mars Exploration Rover. So he's not a theologian nor an archeologist by training. But despite his TV flamboyance, he's hardly as you described, and his simple analysis of the topic at hand could NOT be discarded or refuted.

And you must remember, the current acceptance is that Moses existed during the Bronze Age .... about the same time as it's believed the pyramids of Egypt were constructed.

But I agree with you regarding local phenomena being interpreted as a "world" event.

Bill Nye has credentials. I have no doubt about that.

His credentials don't make the stupid stuff he says any less stupid. He is a passionate advocate of AGW Science and AGW Science is shown repeatedly to be erroneous and vaguely misleading.

With regard to science, whether we are talking about the Stone Age or the Bronze Age, your average man on the street was not in possession of the sort of educational foundation that would allow critical review of modern day astrophysics.

Assuming that Moses was "told" the story of creation, it is likely that his understandings would have influenced the transcription of of whatever it was he may have been told.

Even assuming that Moses was among the most educated in Egypt, the level of understanding of the cosmos at that point in Egypt was as much religious as scientific.

Anyway, the point is that the Book of Genesis, to me is interesting in how much it got right even though it got a whole bunch wrong.

As I understand it, the brightest light ever produced was the light that occurred in the moments following the Big Bang. I could be wrong.

As I watch lecture series on TV now that I'm retired, it is interesting how much is coming to light that seemed to me to be impossible, and yet, it is what it is.

Water, as one example, was "locked" in rocks that formed in the cooling from a molten blob blob orbiting the Sun that became Earth. The land and the sea were LITERALLY one, but were separated by the processes that formed the planet.

The Earth rotates and the night and day occurred. Plants grew and producing oxygen and then animals and then us.

Imagine telling a fourth grader the entire story of the creation of life on Earth starting from the Big Bang and working forward. No written power points or notes allowed.

What would be the take aways understood by that fourth grader? How would t hat fourth grader describe what he heard?

If you ever watched Tim Taylor trying to relay what he heard Wilson telling him as he revealed his new understandings to his long suffering Friends and family, the possibility of inaccurate interpretation is well demonstrated.

However, being wrong on the exact details does not make the entire message worthless. Things can be less than exact, but still be directionally helpful.

Okay, let's take this sentence for sentence:

1. But you DID doubt (with extreme prejudice) Nye's credentials when you called him a "noted charlatan and moron".

2. Let me put this side bar to rest: to say that over 230 years of increasing global deforestation, industrialization and its air/ground/sea pollution, urbanization on grand scales has no (or negligible) effect on the planet's eco-system is just illogical (or to put plainly, stupid). Too many bonafide scientists from various fields with more extensive credentials than Nye's concur. Industrial lobbies work long and hard on their propaganda to deny reality...and they are losing.

3. My good man, since you are taking a somewhat condescending attitude towards the common man, it should be noted that YOU incorrectly put Moses in the stone age, NOT the bronze age. Get an anthropologist to explain to you the extreme differences, especially when it comes to tool making and such. Once corrected, your original assertions change to a degree.

4. As you previously pointed out, the whole concept of divinely influenced scribes of the Bible is a dubious claim. Couple that with language, social and political changes in translations over the centuries and one can easily cast doubt beyond faith.

5. I suggest you do some research as to the accuracy of many of Egypt's endeavors...whether in science or medicine or mechanics or astronomy. Religion may have been the basis but constructing those pyramids sure as hell required some serious engineering genius by the human brain. There's nothing wrong with spirituality guiding scientific discovery and practices. Case in point, Chinese acupuncture. To date, Western and European medical science don't understand it, and condescendingly say it "tricks" the body into healing itself. Chinese doctors laugh their asses off at this desperate ploy to keep European based medicine as wholly superior.

6 - 10. An analogy that is off topic. At this point, I'm discussing how Nye deconstructs some major points regarding the "Great Flood" in the Bible. To date, no one on this thread .... including you ... can disprove or debunk what he says. My point of contention with you is that you dismissed Nye as some blathering phony, which is not the case. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them a fraud...you have to prove that they are. You can't, in this instance.

11 - 14. Essentially a rehash of what was covered in #1-5, video non-withstanding.
    Last edited by Taichiliberal; 05-04-2022 at 04:15 PM.

George Orwell

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Ahh, but Nigh is pointing to basic logic based on PHYSICAL EVIDENCE. Using the Bible as "proof" that everything contained is true is a matter of faith, NOT logic, and certainly not fact based logic.

Creationist and fundamentalists MUST REJECT facts and logic after a certain point in order to maintain faith.
    What's your problem with Creation?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ahh, but Nye is pointing to basic logic based on PHYSICAL EVIDENCE. Using the Bible as "proof" that everything contained is true is a matter of faith, NOT logic, and certainly not fact based logic.

What's your problem with Creation?
    Not creation in an of itself, because let's face it .... one either subscribes to a specific religious dogma or the religion of the scientific method on that. And to date, NEITHER HAS THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER.

I have a problem with sheer BS posing as religious tome. Creationists are folk who will concoct all sorts of tales to fit their particular interpretation of the Bible (or Bibles, if you include the 2nd Testament). Case in point:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...aee_story.html

So far, no one on this thread can disprove what Nye is saying.
    Last edited by Taichiliberal; 05-02-2022 at 07:46 PM.

George Orwell

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

for one, he assumes that the flood happened 6000 years ago
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Melchizedek = Michael (05-04-2022)

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post

for one, he assumes that the flood happened 6000 years ago
    No, he did not. Go over the video again.....Creationists contend that the Earth is only 6 to 10 thousand years old. Nye does not.

George Orwell

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, he did not. Go over the video again.....Creationists contend that the Earth is only 6 to 10 thousand years old. Nye does not.
    my mistake.....he actually said 4000 years......listen starting at 1:20......I guess Nye is a creationist, then......

he also claimed the fossil record would be altered because of "swimming animals"..........pure idiocy.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”