Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh, Reedy Creek will outlast DeSantis!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,617 Times in 21,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Uh-oh, Reedy Creek will outlast DeSantis!

https://news.bloombergtax.com/tax-in...mB_elt0Zivm2ng

If Reddy Creek is going to be dissolved it doesn’t look it could happen until 2029. The bond holders of the $2 billion in Reddy Creek bonds have rights and the Florida government can’t to do anything to add risk to those investments. (It is spelled out in the reddy creek creation docs)
    A lot of lawyers seem to have become ignorant of / unable to read contracts/laws once they became politicians.
    Disney has told shareholders they are proceeding with business as usual.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-28-2022), christiefan915 (04-27-2022), Cypress (04-27-2022), evince (04-27-2022), Guno צְבִי (04-27-2022), Nomad (04-28-2022), PoliTalker (04-29-2022), ThatOwlWoman (04-27-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,561 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

I am sure Deasantis knows he cannot do it. However he knows his lie is galvanizing the right into a paroxysm of Disney hate, and he thinks votes for him. I am sure the GOOFY governor knows better. he has some pros on staff. This is political red meat for the easily led.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

evince (04-27-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,505 Times in 52,730 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wonder if the FL state constitution contains any language prohibiting lawmakers from using the power of the state and of the law to get revenge against corporations and/or individuals?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-29-2022), PoliTalker (04-29-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

8. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (04-27-2022)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I wonder if the FL state constitution contains any language prohibiting lawmakers from using the power of the state and of the law to get revenge against corporations and/or individuals?
    It’s Florida

Probably not

10. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-27-2022)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nope, but I suspect there’s some racketeering laws against it

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

evince (04-27-2022)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The cure for Trumpism is better education.

LOCK HIM UP!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Doc Dutch (04-28-2022), evince (04-27-2022)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I am sure Deasantis knows he cannot do it. However he knows his lie is galvanizing the right into a paroxysm of Disney hate, and he thinks votes for him. I am sure the GOOFY governor knows better. he has some pros on staff. This is political red meat for the easily led.
    Exactly, 100% political move, and I’d also add that he did it to draw attention off of his gerrymandering, now giving Florida, which enrollment wise is pretty much an even State, a 20-8 district advantage to the GOP while also eliminating two predominantly Black districts

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Althea (04-28-2022), evince (04-27-2022), Henry (05-24-2022), Phantasmal (04-29-2022), PoliTalker (04-29-2022)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Interesting. I wonder if those cities that hated on Chick-Fil-A have any so that the municipalities that used permit codes and taxation codes to keep Chick-Fil-A out of their cities might have some comeuppance.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-28-2022), Earl (04-27-2022), Grokmaster (04-28-2022), leaningright (04-28-2022), PostmodernProphet (04-28-2022)

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Exactly, 100% political move, and I’d also add that he did it to draw attention off of his gerrymandering, now giving Florida, which enrollment wise is pretty much an even State, a 20-8 district advantage to the GOP while also eliminating two predominantly Black districts
    Could be

It seems to be having that effect

They just made it so the guy running can change the game to fix the election so he can win

Not very democratic

20. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-29-2022)

21. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if those cities that hated on Chick-Fil-A have any so that the municipalities that used permit codes and taxation codes to keep Chick-Fil-A out of their cities might have some comeuppance.
    Good question. What cities did this? I know there was some screeching when the Chick-Fil-A ppl wanted to put one in the fairly liberal little enclave where we lived in STL, but the city itself did nothing to keep them out, nor did they keep out the nearby and almost-as-controversial Hobby Lobby. Most leaders put bucks and the good of the community overall, over political differences. Unless, of course, they're thinking of out-trumping Trump in the divisiveness category.

There is a difference, though, in preventing a business from coming in in the first place, and punishing a long-existing business because they spoke out against your discriminatory legislation.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Althea (04-28-2022), PoliTalker (04-29-2022)

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those are not using the power of the state huh

24. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good question. What cities did this? I know there was some screeching when the Chick-Fil-A ppl wanted to put one in the fairly liberal little enclave where we lived in STL, but the city itself did nothing to keep them out, nor did they keep out the nearby and almost-as-controversial Hobby Lobby. Most leaders put bucks and the good of the community overall, over political differences. Unless, of course, they're thinking of out-trumping Trump in the divisiveness category.

There is a difference, though, in preventing a business from coming in in the first place, and punishing a long-existing business because they spoke out against your discriminatory legislation.
    Not in reality. In reality keeping a business from operating in your area because you don't like someone or something they donated to is punishing the company for saying something you simply didn't like. This is exactly the same thing, even if you are uncomfortable in the hypocrisy.

I am always interested in this kind of hypocrisy. If I were an advisor for DeSantis I would have advised against this action, because it isn't what we do. Folks vote for companies through dollars we shouldn't have our politicians deciding where you can spend your money at that level.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Grokmaster (04-28-2022), PoliTalker (04-29-2022)

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Not in reality. In reality keeping a business from operating in your area because you don't like someone or something they donated to is punishing the company for saying something you simply didn't like. This is exactly the same thing, even if you are uncomfortable in the hypocrisy.
    I'm not seeing it the way you do. Example: Long ago when my kids were young, there was a family-owned pet store that had set up in a former single-family home in an older part of the town bordering Hwy. 70. The area had been rezoned as mixed so there were several other businesses that occupied former residential buildings. The problem with the pet store was that they started keeping dangerous animals. Outside they had chain link pens with a baby black bear, a baby lion, and some hybrid wolf pups. Inside they had a variety of small and large snakes (non venomous that I was aware of), rats, mice, lizards, scorpions, spiders, and a four-foot caymen that walked around the store. Neighbors complained about the sad plight of the outside animals as well as the inside. The city could do nothing since they'd issued the license to begin with. So they changed pet store licenses and tacked on a hefty fee (I think it was $500 per year) for each animal on the premises deemed "dangerous." The store folded up and left town.

Fair use of the city's power, or persecution? The store owner called it persecution, went to the news stations, tried to get customers to sign a petition, etc.

FL revoking a special incentive granted to a corporation to entice them to settle there smacks more of persecution than a legitimate use of power.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-29-2022)

28. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am always interested in this kind of hypocrisy. If I were an advisor for DeSantis I would have advised against this action, because it isn't what we do. Folks vote for companies through dollars we shouldn't have our politicians deciding where you can spend your money at that level.
    It’s a city not the state

It’s city planning

Do you want them a part of your community

NO

done