Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama=Liar & Puts american soldiers lives at risk

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Obama=Liar & Puts american soldiers lives at risk

Dan Choi, a West Point graduate and officer in the Army National Guard who is fluent in Arabic and who returned recently from Iraq, received notice today that the military is about to fire him. Why? Because he came out of the closet as a gay man on national television.

Some readers might think it unfair to blame Obama. After all, the president inherited the "don't ask, don't tell" law when he took office. As Commander-in-Chief, he has to follow the law. If the law says that the military must fire any service member who acknowledges being gay, that is not Obama's fault.

Or is it?

A new study, about to be published by a group of experts in military law, shows that President Obama does, in fact, have statutory, stroke-of-the-pen authority to suspend gay discharges. Obama could simply invoke his authority under federal law (10 U.S.C. §12305) to retain any member of the military he believes is essential to national security.

Or he could take advantage of a legal loophole. The "don't ask, don't tell" law requires the military to fire anyone found to be gay or lesbian. But there is nothing requiring the military to make such a finding. The president can order the military to stop investigating service members' sexuality.

An executive order would not get rid of the "don't ask, don't tell" law, but would take the critical step of suspending its implementation, hence rendering it effectively dead. Once people see gays and lesbians serving openly, legally and without problems, it will be much easier to get rid of the law at a later time.

I spent a day with Dan Choi last month, and he is not someone we want to fire from the military. He loves the armed forces. He served bravely under tough combat conditions in Iraq. His Arabic is excellent, and he used his language skills to defuse many tough situations and to save lives, both Iraqi and American. All of his unit mates know he is gay, and they have been very supportive of him. But he doesn't want to live a lie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-..._b_199070.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

How many people go on national television and declare themselves heterosexual?

How is he living a lie? Do people normally ask others what their sexual preference is? If questioned, all he had to say was, "Mind you own damn business!"

As for him being such a bright individual didn't he know the consequences of his actions?

Quote Originally Posted by Robdawg View Post
    Dan Choi, a West Point graduate and officer in the Army National Guard who is fluent in Arabic and who returned recently from Iraq, received notice today that the military is about to fire him. Why? Because he came out of the closet as a gay man on national television.

Some readers might think it unfair to blame Obama. After all, the president inherited the "don't ask, don't tell" law when he took office. As Commander-in-Chief, he has to follow the law. If the law says that the military must fire any service member who acknowledges being gay, that is not Obama's fault.

Or is it?

A new study, about to be published by a group of experts in military law, shows that President Obama does, in fact, have statutory, stroke-of-the-pen authority to suspend gay discharges. Obama could simply invoke his authority under federal law (10 U.S.C. §12305) to retain any member of the military he believes is essential to national security.

Or he could take advantage of a legal loophole. The "don't ask, don't tell" law requires the military to fire anyone found to be gay or lesbian. But there is nothing requiring the military to make such a finding. The president can order the military to stop investigating service members' sexuality.

An executive order would not get rid of the "don't ask, don't tell" law, but would take the critical step of suspending its implementation, hence rendering it effectively dead. Once people see gays and lesbians serving openly, legally and without problems, it will be much easier to get rid of the law at a later time.

I spent a day with Dan Choi last month, and he is not someone we want to fire from the military. He loves the armed forces. He served bravely under tough combat conditions in Iraq. His Arabic is excellent, and he used his language skills to defuse many tough situations and to save lives, both Iraqi and American. All of his unit mates know he is gay, and they have been very supportive of him. But he doesn't want to live a lie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-..._b_199070.html
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    How many people go on national television and declare themselves heterosexual?

How is he living a lie? Do people normally ask others what their sexual preference is? If questioned, all he had to say was, "Mind you own damn business!"

As for him being such a bright individual didn't he know the consequences of his actions?
    The greater point is that there shouldn't be ANY consequences for his being gay no more than there is for not being gay.

That's a truth Obama knows.

What is he going to do about it?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Gays don't belong in the military.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

I understand the frustration with Obama on this issue, but I don't buy that he has "stroke of the pen authority" to change the status quo. DADT was passed by Congress. COngress has to undo it.

Obama should be pressing for that change to be made. But invoking his authority as commander-in-chief to bypass Congress on this in the face of a law passed by Congress is just a bit too Bush for me. It's isn't appropriate when it's done for stuff I hate and it isn't appropriate when its done for stuff I favor.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Gays don't belong in the military.
    Why?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dungheap View Post
    I understand the frustration with Obama on this issue, but I don't buy that he has "stroke of the pen authority" to change the status quo. DADT was passed by Congress. COngress has to undo it.

Obama should be pressing for that change to be made. But invoking his authority as commander-in-chief to bypass Congress on this in the face of a law passed by Congress is just a bit too Bush for me. It's isn't appropriate when it's done for stuff I hate and it isn't appropriate when its done for stuff I favor.
    But he's the president .. and a popular one who has the bully pulpit to lead the nation. If he wanted it done, it would be done.

What has he said about this case?

Surely he could frame this not only in what is best for society, but also what is best for national security. It's a gift-horse .. if he wants it.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,725 Times in 2,959 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 333 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    But he's the president .. and a popular one who has the bully pulpit to lead the nation. If he wanted it done, it would be done.

What has he said about this case?

Surely he could frame this not only in what is best for society, but also what is best for national security. It's a gift-horse .. if he wants it.

Which is why I said that I understand the frustration and that Obama should be pressing for the change to be made.

He isn't. And that's disappointing. But I don't fault him for not using his "stroke of the pen" authority.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why?
    Come on, BAC.

You only have to look at the Greeks, who invented gayness, to see the correlation between homosexual activity and abject military failure.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Why?
    Because the military doesn't need fancy hairdos, and gays can't be depended on in any other necessary role.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why?

How does that work, anyway? I mean, if a heterosexual guy was showering with a group of 20-something females wouldn't his "interest" show? If a gay guy is showering with a group of 20-something males wouldn't the same thing happen?

Sleeping in the same "room" (barracks), being in physical contact when wrestling and learning other self-defense measures......

I know if I was sleeping in a room full of 20-something females, having breakfast with them, having physical contact with them, showering with them.....I'd be twisting and twitching something wicked at the end of the day!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charver View Post
    Come on, BAC.

You only have to look at the Greeks, who invented gayness, to see the correlation between homosexual activity and abject military failure.

That explains it.

However, the all-gay Sacred Band of Thebes defeated the Spartans, an army four times their size, and they were responsible for the decisive victory at Leuctra.

That being said, your too funny comment is well taken.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    How does that work, anyway? I mean, if a heterosexual guy was showering with a group of 20-something females wouldn't his "interest" show? If a gay guy is showering with a group of 20-something males wouldn't the same thing happen?

Sleeping in the same "room" (barracks), being in physical contact when wrestling and learning other self-defense measures......

I know if I was sleeping in a room full of 20-something females, having breakfast with them, having physical contact with them, showering with them.....I'd be twisting and twitching something wicked at the end of the day!
    There are lesbians showering with non-gay women just as there are gay men showering with non-gay men. This isn't new. It's been happening since the invention of men and women. Happened in every war and military ever constructed.

Living with gays and gays living in a non-gay world is called life.

Intelligent people can figure it out.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There are lesbians showering with non-gay women just as there are gay men showering with non-gay men. This isn't new. It's been happening since the invention of men and women. Happened in every war and military ever constructed.

Living with gays and gays living in a non-gay world is called life.

Intelligent people can figure it out.

Yea, well, I'll bet if you were showering with a dozen or so 20-something females you'd be singing a different tune.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Because the military doesn't need fancy hairdos, and gays can't be depended on in any other necessary role.
    as long as the person can fire a weapon, hit what they are aiming, and won't run at the sound of gunfire, i say let em in.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.