Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool That Elon Musk guy...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaaaman For This Post:

Lionfish (04-17-2022), Matt Dillon (04-16-2022), Minister of Truth (04-15-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

Elon Musk is a scumbag billionaire like the rest. Nobody is a self-made man; like Bezos and the rest, Elon built his wealth on the backs of the working class and hoards it all for himself.

Warren Buffet recently announced that he will donate 99% of his fortune ($125 billion) to charity. He said this:

"Over many decades I have accumulated an almost incomprehensible sum simply by doing what I love to do. I've made no sacrifice nor has my family. Compound interest, a long runway, wonderful associates and our incredible country have simply worked their magic. Society has a use for my money; I don't."
    At least one of them is finally being honest.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to American Man For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-16-2022), ThatOwlWoman (04-16-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by American Man View Post
    Elon Musk is a scumbag billionaire like the rest. Nobody is a self-made man; like Bezos and the rest, Elon built his wealth on the backs of the working class and hoards it all for himself.

Warren Buffet recently announced that he will donate 99% of his fortune ($125 billion) to charity. He said this:

At least one of them is finally being honest.
    Well, what Buffet has enjoyed will not be available for future generations in America.

Government overreach and corruption and creeping Communism will see to that.

They want the hoi polloi to be serfs. That's the antithesis of America.

What I don't get is all the Hoi Polloi rushing to be serfs when they could be living The American Dream.

That is a result of the indoctrination. It has to be.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

Into the Night (04-18-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Well, what Buffet has enjoyed will not be available for future generations in America.

What I don't get is all the Hoi Polloi rushing to be serfs when they could be living The American Dream.

You are against government corruption, yet you offer up full support for Donald Trump who ran the most corrupt government in our lifetime. I would also like to see some examples of this creeping Communism you speak of.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    You are against government corruption, yet you offer up full support for Donald Trump who ran the most corrupt government in our lifetime. I would also like to see some examples of this creeping Communism you speak of.
    The changing of B.C. and A.D.
    to
    B.C.E. and A.C.E.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

MAGA MAN (04-19-2022)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

to
    B.C.E. and A.C.E.
    I knew you couldn't my dear, its just how FOS you are

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

to
    B.C.E. and A.C.E.
    Not communism, but certainly an attempt to change history and discard the calendar.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

to
    B.C.E. and A.C.E.
    Before Christ Existed
    After Christ Exists

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Void argument fallacy. You can't even described the corruption. It is obvious you are intentionally ignoring the communism. Examples of it have already been shown to you.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Void argument fallacy. You can't even described the corruption. It is obvious you are intentionally ignoring the communism. Examples of it have already been shown to you.
    Yet, once again you continue to support Donald Trump who gave us a massive increase in the size of communist government. That sweetheart makes no sense, and you continue to support Putin and Russia who comes about as close to Communism as you can get.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 28 Posts

The classic American Dream has been dead for decades. Once upon a time, a man with a high school education could work 40 hrs and support a family, buy a decent house, and drive a decent car. Back then, wealth was distributed more fairly. Now, wealth is balanced towards the upper class and the working class is left suffering; two adults need to work full-time just to support one household, while CEOs make more now than they ever have. Free-market capitalism has gutted America.

But there are ways that we working class people can reclaim some of the wealth we helped create. Personally, I invest 100% of my 401k in S&P500 index funds. I also max out my IRA, also 100% invested in SP500 index funds. The SP500 realizes an annual avg. of 10.5%, which means I'll be worth at least $2.5 million by retirement age. (And we learned in 2008 that the SP500 is "too big to fail," so it's the safest bet in the stock market. If it fails, it means the entire US economy has failed, and at that point, no investment would have saved me.) In the near future, I plan on opening a taxable brokerage account to invest in more SP500 index funds with any extra cash I have beyond retirement investments.

The point is that we need to be proactive in reclaiming the wealth we created. Aggeessive investing is the only way to reclaim a piece of the money pie that we rightfully deserve. Depending on politicans to magically fix the system -- to "make America great again" or whatever -- is a pipe dream that they use to gain votes.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The classic American Dream has been dead for decades. Once upon a time, a man with a high school education could work 40 hrs and support a family, buy a decent house, and drive a decent car. Back then, wealth was distributed more fairly. Now, wealth is balanced towards the upper class and the working class is left suffering; two adults need to work full-time just to support one household, while CEOs make more now than they ever have. Free-market capitalism has gutted America.

But there are ways that we working class people can reclaim some of the wealth we helped create. Personally, I invest 100% of my 401k in S&P500 index funds. I also max out my IRA, also 100% invested in SP500 index funds. The SP500 realizes an annual avg. of 10.5%, which means I'll be worth at least $2.5 million by retirement age. (And we learned in 2008 that the SP500 is "too big to fail," so it's the safest bet in the stock market. If it fails, it means the entire US economy has failed, and at that point, no investment would have saved me.) In the near future, I plan on opening a taxable brokerage account to invest in more SP500 index funds with any extra cash I have beyond retirement investments.

The point is that we need to be proactive in reclaiming the wealth we created. Aggeessive investing is the only way to reclaim a piece of the money pie that we rightfully deserve. Depending on politicans to magically fix the system -- to "make America great again" or whatever -- is a pipe dream that they use to gain votes.
    It wouldn't be bad to fight to get some more equal wealth distribution back. There are things that can be done. One step at a time.

The rules have changed since when I started out.

I'd focus on housing because that's taking 100% more of peoples' income now than when I started out. Fix that 1st.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,740 Times in 14,334 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

It wouldn't be bad to fight to get some more equal wealth distribution back. There are things that can be done. One step at a time.

I'd focus on housing because that's taking 100% more of peoples' income now than when I started out. Fix that 1st.
    Actually, the first focus is on manufacturing.

Republicans had a chance to bring manufacturing back when they crafted their billionaire tax giveaway.

All they had to do was to eliminate taxes for corporations that do all of their manufacturing here, and raise the taxes on those who didn't.

But they didn't.

The need for a two income household started when our standard of living increased. Two cars in every driveway instead of one. A t.v in every room of the house, instead of one. It was a tradeoff that families were happy to make, to the detriment of the 'latchkey' kids.

Now there are no quality jobs left for those with a high school education, outside of the service industry.

It's never going back.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Matt Dillon (05-02-2022), Taichiliberal (05-02-2022)

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,361 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I agree with you about the housing. But notice it doesn't get discussed much? I can offer two reasons. 1) on a board like this dominated by Boomers folks really only care that their properties values are maintained/increased and 2) it really is much more of a state/local issue than a national one so national politicians tend to talk about it much less

Really high property values make our economy less dynamic and it harmful to younger folks. (If you're an older property owner you're loving it). And this is one of those subjects that transcends partisan lines because clearly homes owners on the right and left like their property values increasing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Matt Dillon (05-02-2022)

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,929 Times in 13,196 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Who's fault is that?

It's the Democrats and Left that pushed the idea that women should enter the workforce and work just as hard as men for a paycheck.

It's Democrats and the Left that pushed the idea that you need a college education to get a decent job and that working for a living was demeaning.

It's Democrats and the Left that made skilled jobs in the trades that pay better than many college degree jobs undesirable.

I have two BS degrees and an MA, and I've made way more money working as a contractor and master electrician than I did off those degrees. Sure, they helped, but they weren't the driving force behind my success. I have sufficient wealth invested that I can get into Chase Bank's Private Client network and have a net worth of millions. It isn't anything the Left proposes as the path to success that worked for me. If anything, it was the exact opposite.