Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elon Musk: It is difficult to give money away effectively if you care about outcome..

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Elon Musk: It is difficult to give money away effectively if you care about outcome..

Elon Musk says it's 'very hard to give away money effectively' if you care more about the outcomes than the optics of philanthropy

Elon Musk is the richest person in the world, but he says it's still hard to give away money to do good.

"When it comes to donations, I'd say it is very difficult to give away money effectively," Musk said in a recent conversation with Mathias Döpfner, the CEO of Insider's parent company, Axel Springer.

When asked about the goals of his foundation, Musk said he cares more about the outcomes, not optics, of philanthropy. This, he says, makes it harder for him to give away money "effectively."

"If you care about the reality of doing good and not the perception of doing good, then it is very hard to give away money effectively," he said. "I care about reality. Perception be damned."

More at link...

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...fexdXVe5wAfIxc
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I can't pretend to know what it's like to give away millions, or tens or hundreds of millions, but what he says makes sense to me. On one hand you'd think anyone who gives away that type of money cares about the outcome but then again maybe he's right that the optics are more important to some because its an ego thing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Jack (03-31-2022)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is my first consideration when giving away money. It is important to me that the money gets to the folks I want to help rather than line the pockets of folks running the "organization" or for ads. I give away less money, because I have less, therefore I want it to have the best impact it can. I spend a LOT of time researching the organizations to which I donate money.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-31-2022), Phantasmal (04-06-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree with the 'optics' part of the Philanthropy. After a life of being a ruthless Capitalist, it would be nice to have multitudes praise you at your Death.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    It is my first consideration when giving away money. It is important to me that the money gets to the folks I want to help rather than line the pockets of folks running the "organization" or for ads. I give away less money, because I have less, therefore I want it to have the best impact it can. I spend a LOT of time researching the organizations to which I donate money.
    Most of us who regularly donate to various organizations do the same thing. Therefore, if nobodies like us can do it -- why can't the richest guy on the planet instruct his staff to do it as well? It's not that hard.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-31-2022), TTQ64 (04-06-2022)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Elon Musk says it's 'very hard to give away money effectively' if you care more about the outcomes than the optics of philanthropy

Elon Musk is the richest person in the world, but he says it's still hard to give away money to do good.

"When it comes to donations, I'd say it is very difficult to give away money effectively," Musk said in a recent conversation with Mathias Döpfner, the CEO of Insider's parent company, Axel Springer.

When asked about the goals of his foundation, Musk said he cares more about the outcomes, not optics, of philanthropy. This, he says, makes it harder for him to give away money "effectively."

"If you care about the reality of doing good and not the perception of doing good, then it is very hard to give away money effectively," he said. "I care about reality. Perception be damned."

More at link...

Agreed with Musk. Just throwing money at a money isn't always efficient or even beneficial. In some ways it's like trying to spot reduce fat on one's body: hard to do.

People gain and lose fat in reverse order. Losing fat requires a system solution, not just a targeted attack. Solving social ills are similar.

Unfortunately, too many people are impatient and, in America, the result is often one group attempting the targeted attack solution and the other group saying it's useless to even try. Neither of which actually helps solve the problem.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,224 Times in 10,695 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 579 Times in 563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I can't pretend to know what it's like to give away millions, or tens or hundreds of millions, but what he says makes sense to me. On one hand you'd think anyone who gives away that type of money cares about the outcome but then again maybe he's right that the optics are more important to some because its an ego thing.
    no

only a greedy person needs all that unearned stolen money he should be jailed!

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    hes not a aa rolling my eyes fuckin white men think people are so stupid
    only stupid white people listen to them

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IQ=64 View Post
    no only a greedy person needs all that unearned stolen money he should be jailed!
    What a racist you are. You hate him because he's African-American.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do as well, same reasons.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

More at link...

Heyy! I like this guy!

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    That's most likely the case more often than not.

Ronald McDonald House is a good charity.

Black Lives Matter tried to barricade them and the caretakers in one of them and burn them all alive.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...-house-n782973

And if you think those riots weren't sponsored and organized by the left? You're not very smart.

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I do as well, same reasons.
    So you say.