Thread: 'Judicial Philosophy'

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Default 'Judicial Philosophy'

This is well said and brilliant.

'Sen. Whitehouse Speaks on Day 3 of Supreme Court Confirmation Hearings for Ketanji Brown Jackson'

A conservative (dark money) SCOTUS is simply the legislative branch of the oligarchs, the corporatist, and the powerful over the working class.

'Injustices: The Supreme Court's History of Comforting the Comfortable and Afflicting the Afflicted' Ian Millhiser

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22715946-injustices

"Few American institutions have inflicted greater suffering on ordinary people than the Supreme Court of the United States. Since its inception, the justices of the Supreme Court have shaped a nation where children toiled in coal mines, where Americans could be forced into camps because of their race, and where a woman could be sterilized against her will by state law." https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22715946-injustices

'13 Worst Supreme Court Decisions of All Time'

https://blogs.findlaw.com/supreme_co...-all-time.html

"Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished." Jeremy Bentham
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-25-2022), Taichiliberal (03-24-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    A conservative (dark money) SCOTUS is simply the legislative branch of the oligarchs, the corporatist, and the powerful over the working class.
    and i'll just bet that you think a liberal SCOTUS would be a shining beacon for the good of humanity, don't you?

"Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished." Jeremy Bentham
    you forgot cops
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,632 Times in 4,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,357 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is well said and brilliant.

'Sen. Whitehouse Speaks on Day 3 of Supreme Court Confirmation Hearings for Ketanji Brown Jackson'

'Injustices: The Supreme Court's History of Comforting the Comfortable and Afflicting the Afflicted' Ian Millhiser

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22715946-injustices

"Few American institutions have inflicted greater suffering on ordinary people than the Supreme Court of the United States. Since its inception, the justices of the Supreme Court have shaped a nation where children toiled in coal mines, where Americans could be forced into camps because of their race, and where a woman could be sterilized against her will by state law." https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22715946-injustices

BRAVO! ENCORE!
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

midcan5 (03-28-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

I think he's upset because the Republicans have finally gotten enough justices on the Supreme Court to stop progressives from violating the Constitution.

It is the conservative justices who support fundamental civil liberties like the right to keep and bear arms.

It is the progressive justices who oppose fundamental civil liberties like the right to keep and bear arms.

It is hard to see how progressives can credibly claim to support the working class when they keep voting to violate the working class' fundamental civil liberties.

They think it was bad for the Supreme Court to step in and block Al Gore's attempt to steal the 2000 election??

It was too late for Al Gore to win anyway despite his cheating. December 12 was the deadline. If they hadn't stopped him, the only thing Al Gore could have achieved is throwing the nation into a pointless Constitutional crisis.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil Kasseri View Post
    I think he's upset because the Republicans have finally gotten enough justices on the Supreme Court to stop progressives from violating the Constitution.

It is the conservative justices who support fundamental civil liberties like the right to keep and bear arms.

It is the progressive justices who oppose fundamental civil liberties like the right to keep and bear arms.

It is hard to see how progressives can credibly claim to support the working class when they keep voting to violate the working class' fundamental civil liberties.

They think it was bad for the Supreme Court to step in and block Al Gore's attempt to steal the 2000 election??

It was too late for Al Gore to win anyway despite his cheating. December 12 was the deadline. If they hadn't stopped him, the only thing Al Gore could have achieved is throwing the nation into a pointless Constitutional crisis.
    I note that you completely side step the content of what the man said in favor of your personal opinions, supposition and conjecture that have NOTHING to do with the topic of his speech.

Typical MAGA move; avoid what you can't disprove or defend against, change the subject and accuse others of not responding to that detour.

You fool no one but the man you see in the mirror, and you convince no one but fellow willfully ignorant MAGA minions.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    I note that you completely side step the content of what the man said in favor of your personal opinions, supposition and conjecture that have NOTHING to do with the topic of his speech.
    That isn't quite right. My opinions, supposition, and conjecture was related to the topic of his speech.

I was speculating on his underlying motivation for taking the position that he expressed in his speech.

Typical MAGA move; avoid what you can't disprove or defend against,
    I listened to his speech before replying. But I confess that I've completely forgotten the entire speech already. And I'm listening to something else right now.

I'll listen to it again later tonight just to be sure, but I don't recall feeling that there was anything I would need to disprove or defend against.

change the subject
    I don't think that speculating on his underlying motivation is changing the subject.

and accuse others of not responding to that detour.
    I'm not sure I would use the term "accuse". That implies wrongdoing.

People are free to respond to points expressed on the internet, or not respond to them, as they please.

I mean, I guess I'd prefer it if an intelligent conversation occurred. But if I put my points out there and no one responds, that's OK.

You fool no one but the man you see in the mirror,
    I don't fool myself either. I am not trying to fool anyone.

and you convince no one but fellow willfully ignorant MAGA minions.
    If so, that is evidence that MAGA minions respond to facts and logic, and others do not. Good for MAGA minions. If they were ignorant before, they won't be after they read my posts.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That isn't quite right. My opinions, supposition, and conjecture was related to the topic of his speech.

I was speculating on his underlying motivation for taking the position that he expressed in his speech.

I listened to his speech before replying. But I confess that I've completely forgotten the entire speech already. And I'm listening to something else right now.

I'll listen to it again later tonight just to be sure, but I don't recall feeling that there was anything I would need to disprove or defend against.

I don't think that speculating on his underlying motivation is changing the subject.

I'm not sure I would use the term "accuse". That implies wrongdoing.

People are free to respond to points expressed on the internet, or not respond to them, as they please.

I mean, I guess I'd prefer it if an intelligent conversation occurred. But if I put my points out there and no one responds, that's OK.

I don't fool myself either. I am not trying to fool anyone.

If so, that is evidence that MAGA minions respond to facts and logic, and others do not. Good for MAGA minions. If they were ignorant before, they won't be after they read my posts.
    Oh dear God, yet another right wing wonk long on denial and dodges, short of actual honest discussion at the topic at hand.

You discuss NOTHING regarding what the man is saying, which is that the straw man argument trumpeted by GOP parrots and flunkies is just that...a straw man argument because "philosophy" is NOT a requirement of a judge. He goes into GREAT detail as to why this is so. YOU offer NOTHING in way of point-for-point rebuttal, and instead try to detour the discussion based on your guesswork and opinion, as if they are based in fact (which they are not). Nor do you address the topic at hand.

All you've done here is just blow smoke with what is essentially an empty rebuttal, of which I already addressed. You can make all the self aggrandizing claims you want, but you can't logically or factually fault what the man is saying (general gain saying won't cut it either)

George Orwell

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh dear God, yet another right wing wonk long on denial and dodges, short of actual honest discussion at the topic at hand.

You discuss NOTHING regarding what the man is saying, which is that the straw man argument trumpeted by GOP parrots and flunkies is just that...a straw man argument because "philosophy" is NOT a requirement of a judge. He goes into GREAT detail as to why this is so. YOU offer NOTHING in way of point-for-point rebuttal, and instead try to detour the discussion based on your guesswork and opinion, as if they are based in fact (which they are not). Nor do you address the topic at hand.

All you've done here is just blow smoke with what is essentially an empty rebuttal, of which I already addressed. You can make all the self aggrandizing claims you want, but you can't logically or factually fault what the man is saying (general gain saying won't cut it either)
    That is incorrect. I've now reviewed the video again, and his two points are:

a) he does not like judicial originalists, and

b) he does not like the fact that the Republicans have placed so many judicial originalists on the Supreme Court.

My comment "I think he's upset because the Republicans have finally gotten enough justices on the Supreme Court to stop progressives from violating the Constitution," is entirely on topic and directly addresses both of his points.

As for a rebuttal, there is nothing in the video to rebut. He is perfectly free to dislike the fact that the Republicans have enough justices on the Supreme Court to prevent progressives from violating the Constitution.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That is incorrect. I've now reviewed the video again, and his two points are:

a) he does not like judicial originalists, and

b) he does not like the fact that the Republicans have placed so many judicial originalists on the Supreme Court.

My comment "I think he's upset because the Republicans have finally gotten enough justices on the Supreme Court to stop progressives from violating the Constitution," is entirely on topic and directly addresses both of his points.

As for a rebuttal, there is nothing in the video to rebut. He is perfectly free to dislike the fact that the Republicans have enough justices on the Supreme Court to prevent progressives from violating the Constitution.

Either you don't comprehend what is being said or you are being insipidly stubborn and are trying to misrepresent what was stated. For the honest, objective reader, here's what Sen. Whitehouse said:

https://foreignaffairs.co.nz/2022/03...ourt-nominees/

George Orwell

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Either you don't comprehend what is being said or you are being insipidly stubborn and are trying to misrepresent what was stated.
    Or maybe I am correct.

For the honest, objective reader, here's what Sen. Whitehouse said:
    https://foreignaffairs.co.nz/2022/03...ourt-nominees/
    That covers only the first half of what he said on the video. The article stops before he gets to his second point.

Bogus headline on that article. The Republicans' concern with originalism is hardly empty. It is important that the courts start enforcing the Constitution.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Either you don't comprehend what is being said or you are being insipidly stubborn and are trying to misrepresent what was stated.
    I just had a thought. Whatever points you believe I'm missing from his speech, why don't you express those points in your own words, and then I'll try responding to that.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Or maybe I am correct.

That covers only the first half of what he said on the video. The article stops before he gets to his second point.

Bogus headline on that article. The Republicans' concern with originalism is hardly empty. It is important that the courts start enforcing the Constitution.
    You are SO full of it. The transcript AND the video tell the tale....Whitehouse DOES NOTHING of what you accuse him off or insinuate. He's VERY specific about what particular voting actions and issues he has a stance on, and how "judicial philosophy" has NOTHING to do with those issues or with the qualifications of a SCOTUS candidate. That you can't logically fault his assessment but instead parrot an empty mantra by the MAGA GOP is pathetic, especially in light of Judge Brown's record (of which the GOPers could not misrepresent with the myopic, misleading questions).

The rational, objective reader can easily see your folly by just reading and listening....your absurd insistence that your personal opinion, supposition and conjecture is fact non-withstanding. Carry on, my little right wing wonk.

George Orwell

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I just had a thought. Whatever points you believe I'm missing from his speech, why don't you express those points in your own words, and then I'll try responding to that.
    You've already expressed your "thoughts"....of which are just denial, insipid stubbornness and a tendency towards willful ignorance. I've countered with valid documented FACTS via a video and a transcript and my statements. You don't accept them. That's your problem. I'm not going to rehash this topic because you can't be adult enough to concede a point and hope for a "got'cha" moment.

So unless you've got anything new to add, I'd say we're done here.

George Orwell

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are SO full of it. The transcript AND the video tell the tale....Whitehouse DOES NOTHING of what you accuse him off or insinuate.
    All I see/hear from his words are complaints about originalist judicial philosophy.

He's VERY specific about what particular voting actions and issues he has a stance on, and how "judicial philosophy" has NOTHING to do with those issues or with the qualifications of a SCOTUS candidate.
    Yes. He very specifically dislikes originalist judicial philosophy.

That you can't logically fault his assessment but instead parrot an empty mantra by the MAGA GOP is pathetic,
    I do not agree that I am parroting an empty mantra. I am addressing his stated position.

I do not agree that it is pathetic that I find no logical fault in his words. He has the right to dislike originalism. That's no reflection on me.

especially in light of Judge Brown's record (of which the GOPers could not misrepresent with the myopic, misleading questions).
    I confess that I know zero about her record.

I listen to the evening news, and the confirmation hearings were covered there, so I did hear some about them, but I've paid absolutely no attention to the confirmation hearings beyond whatever is mentioned on the evening news.

I admit that I wouldn't mind reading opinions/dissents (if any) that she has written in the past regarding Second Amendment issues. But I haven't bothered to look into the matter.

The rational, objective reader can easily see your folly by just reading and listening....your absurd insistence that your personal opinion, supposition and conjecture is fact non-withstanding. Carry on, my little right wing wonk.
    I never insisted.

I think it is likely that I nailed it and my speculation is accurate, but there is always a chance that I could be wrong.

You've already expressed your "thoughts"....of which are just denial, insipid stubbornness and a tendency towards willful ignorance.
    No. My thoughts were speculation as to his underlying motivation.

I've countered with valid documented FACTS via a video and a transcript and my statements. You don't accept them.
    Well, I don't see in them what you want me to see in them.

That's your problem.
    It's not really a problem for me.

I'm not going to rehash this topic because you can't be adult enough to concede a point and hope for a "got'cha" moment.
    I am adult enough to concede a point when I see a point to be conceded. I do not see any points to be conceded here however.

So unless you've got anything new to add, I'd say we're done here.
    Yes. Probably so.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

All I see/hear from his words are complaints about originalist judicial philosophy.

Yes. He very specifically dislikes originalist judicial philosophy.

I do not agree that I am parroting an empty mantra. I am addressing his stated position.

I do not agree that it is pathetic that I find no logical fault in his words. He has the right to dislike originalism. That's no reflection on me.

I confess that I know zero about her record.

I listen to the evening news, and the confirmation hearings were covered there, so I did hear some about them, but I've paid absolutely no attention to the confirmation hearings beyond whatever is mentioned on the evening news.

I admit that I wouldn't mind reading opinions/dissents (if any) that she has written in the past regarding Second Amendment issues. But I haven't bothered to look into the matter.

I never insisted.

I think it is likely that I nailed it and my speculation is accurate, but there is always a chance that I could be wrong.

No. My thoughts were speculation as to his underlying motivation.

Well, I don't see in them what you want me to see in them.

It's not really a problem for me.

I am adult enough to concede a point when I see a point to be conceded. I do not see any points to be conceded here however.

Yes. Probably so.
    Yep, just as I thought...SOS from Anvil, who apparently thinks that no one with an 8th of a brain can back track the chronology of the posts and deconstruct his obvious smoke blowing. Anvil is one those guys who thinks plain denial, revisionism and repetition will mask his inability to truly defend his position in a logical, fact based debate. Having the last predictable word in this vein is about all Anvil is good for at this point. So yes, we are truly done here despite his long winded rhetoric. See you readers on another thread or response to another poster.

George Orwell