Thread: Ooops: Bush posts a guide on how to build a nuclear bomb on the "Internets"

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,642 Times in 27,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default Ooops: Bush posts a guide on how to build a nuclear bomb on the "Internets"

New York Times report that the federal government (under pressure from congressional repubs) put up a website on Iraqi war documents in hopes of leveraging the internet to "prove" that Saddam Hussein had WMD.

It turns out the documents also provide a guide to building an atom bomb.

...in recent weeks, the site has posted some documents that weapons experts say are a danger themselves: detailed accounts of Iraq’s secret nuclear research before the 1991 Persian Gulf war. The documents, the experts say, constitute a basic guide to building an atom bomb.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/wo...documents.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice of them to verify for everybody that the plans listed would actually work....
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 479 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wonder what information is more valuable to Osama?

1.)finding out that America might be trying to listen in to his phone conversations (as if he didn't know), or

2.)step by step instructions on how to build a nuclear weapon?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 479 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Nice of them to verify for everybody that the plans listed would actually work....
    nicer of Bush to post them, don't you think?

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maineman View Post
    nicer of Bush to post them, don't you think?
    They actually posted all these Saddam docs in order to get help translating, if I remember correctly.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

They actually posted all these Saddam docs in order to get help translating, if I remember correctly.
    Are you saying that excuses faux pas?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    New York Times report that the federal government (under pressure from congressional repubs) put up a website on Iraqi war documents in hopes of leveraging the internet to "prove" that Saddam Hussein had WMD.

It turns out the documents also provide a guide to building an atom bomb.

...in recent weeks, the site has posted some documents that weapons experts say are a danger themselves: detailed accounts of Iraq’s secret nuclear research before the 1991 Persian Gulf war. The documents, the experts say, constitute a basic guide to building an atom bomb.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/wo...documents.html

well if ya hang around here enough you wouldnt think bush was smart enough too use the internet !!!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
    Are you saying that excuses faux pas?
    No. I am saying exactly what I said. I believe I remember them posting these to get help translating. I thought it was stupid back then too...

Intel should be gathered and processed by those with the proper training. I stated so then too.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,642 Times in 27,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

GOP House Intelligence Committee Chariman Pete Hoekstra responsible for atomic bomb plans being published on Web

The nuclear program was eliminated by the Gulf War, but documents remained. Who demanded their release, and that they be posted on the Internets?

None other than House Intelligence Committee Chariman Pete "We found the WMD!" Hoekstra, who sang the praises of "leveraging the internet," i.e., throwing a political bone to right-wing bloggers who would invent connections between Saddam and al Qaeda,

http://americablog.blogspot.com/

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Uh I thought that Saddam had no nuclear WMD program?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Should not have been posted, but it does show that Saddam had plans. Not what the Times had hoped for I supect! LOL Backfire! Bush was right once again!

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No. I am saying exactly what I said. I believe I remember them posting these to get help translating. I thought it was stupid back then too...

Intel should be gathered and processed by those with the proper training. I stated so then too.
    Put it on the open internet to get it translated ??? Why are we paying for all those CIA, etc types then ?

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Put it on the open internet to get it translated ??? Why are we paying for all those CIA, etc types then ?
    These were back burner things. The idea was to get a faster response. I stated back then that it was foolish.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah, it backfired alright. I can't wait to see how this backfire is treaterd by a Democratically controlled Congress!