Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McDonald’s to temporarily close 850 stores in Russia

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,658 Times in 2,114 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 93 Times in 89 Posts

Default McDonald’s to temporarily close 850 stores in Russia

McDonald’s said Tuesday it is temporarily closing all of its 850 restaurants in Russia in response to the country’s invasion of Ukraine.

The burger giant said it will continue paying its 62,000 employees in Russia “who have poured their heart and soul into our McDonald’s brand.” But in an open letter to employees, McDonald’s President and CEO Chris Kempckinski said closing those stores for now is the right thing to do.

“Our values mean we cannot ignore the needless human suffering unfolding in Ukraine,” Kempczinski said.

Kempczinski said it’s impossible to know when the company will be able to reopen its stores.

McDonald’s has also temporarily closed 100 restaurants in Ukraine and continues to pay those employees.

McDonald’s could take a big financial hit because of the closures. In a recent regulatory filing, the Chicago-based company said its restaurants in Russia and Ukraine contributed 9% of its annual revenue, or around $2 billion.

Unlike other big fast food brands in Russia that are owned by franchisees __ including KFC, Pizza Hut and Burger King __ McDonald’s owns 84% of its Russian locations.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-uk...48c962762be3cc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy For This Post:

martin (03-08-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,897 Times in 21,661 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,689 Times in 5,192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    McDonald’s said Tuesday it is temporarily closing all of its 850 restaurants in Russia in response to the country’s invasion of Ukraine.

The burger giant said it will continue paying its 62,000 employees in Russia “who have poured their heart and soul into our McDonald’s brand.” But in an open letter to employees, McDonald’s President and CEO Chris Kempckinski said closing those stores for now is the right thing to do.

“Our values mean we cannot ignore the needless human suffering unfolding in Ukraine,” Kempczinski said.

Kempczinski said it’s impossible to know when the company will be able to reopen its stores.

McDonald’s has also temporarily closed 100 restaurants in Ukraine and continues to pay those employees.

McDonald’s could take a big financial hit because of the closures. In a recent regulatory filing, the Chicago-based company said its restaurants in Russia and Ukraine contributed 9% of its annual revenue, or around $2 billion.

Unlike other big fast food brands in Russia that are owned by franchisees __ including KFC, Pizza Hut and Burger King __ McDonald’s owns 84% of its Russian locations.

Wow, I’m impressed… an American corporation taking a stand that costs them!

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,062 Times in 8,414 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

No ruskie burgers for a while I guess huh? Back to the borscht

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,176 Times in 14,712 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Damn that is too bad. Their food is poison.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

Matt Dillon (03-08-2022)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 18 Times in 16 Posts

I'm surprised they are continuing to pay both their Russian AND Ukraine employees. That's something I wouldn't have expected to see. That's admirable.
    “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Darla For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-08-2022)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,062 Times in 8,414 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I'm surprised they are continuing to pay both their Russian AND Ukraine employees. That's something I wouldn't have expected to see. That's admirable.
    Evil capitalists

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    That wont last long.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,515 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

I foresee a Russian trend towards real food.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    I foresee a Russian trend towards real food.
    The days when they admired the West are certainly over.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The collective punishment of the Russian people will not work out well for us.

DARK AGES SUCK!

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Gee, I wonder who that'll hurt the most?

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts