Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla is attracting more and more Republicans. MAGA wets panties.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,330 Times in 6,018 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

Default Tesla is attracting more and more Republicans. MAGA wets panties.

A new survey shows that Tesla is gaining steam as a brand with Republicans after being a darling of the Democrats for years.

In general, Tesla buyers, and electric car buyers, have always been more likely to be Democrat than Republican.

Left-leaning individuals are generally more environmentally cautious, though climate change concerns have been gradually gaining ground on the right in the last few years.

But EV buyers tending to be more Democrat than Republican is also due to the market incentives.

That’s due to blue states like California implementing stronger EV incentives to encourage buying electric vehicles than red states.

California is still Tesla’s biggest market in the US, but since the automaker moved its headquarters to Texas, the automaker is making progress with Republicans.

A new survey shows an important three-point increase in Republicans considering a Tesla as their next car over just a month (via CNN):

Surveys by research firm Morning Consult show that in January about 22% of Democrats were considering buying a Tesla, while 17% of Republicans were looking to purchase one. And that gap has been closing — Republican consideration of buying a Tesla has risen about 3 percentage points just since December’s survey.

That’s when it comes to jumping into action and actually planning to buy a car, but even more surprising, Republicans are now more trusting of Tesla as a brand than Democrats:

And Republicans are slightly more likely to trust the Tesla brand, 27% compared to 25% among Democrats.
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (02-26-2022), ThatOwlWoman (02-26-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I’d advise anyone interested in a Tesla to put the silly politics aside and judge a Tesla by its merits as a vehicle and go drive one. The Tesla Sporster I test drove impressed the hell out of me.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I’d advise anyone interested in a Tesla to put the silly politics aside and judge a Tesla by its merits as a vehicle and go drive one. The Tesla Sporster I test drove impressed the hell out of me.
    I’m not really a car guy so I’m likely missing something here but seems to me if the goal is to increase EV use why frame it in a partisan/culture war perspective?

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

ExpressLane (02-26-2022), Jarod (02-26-2022), Life is Golden (02-27-2022), Mott the Hoople (02-26-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,167 Times in 14,705 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    A new survey shows that Tesla is gaining steam as a brand with Republicans after being a darling of the Democrats for years.

In general, Tesla buyers, and electric car buyers, have always been more likely to be Democrat than Republican.

Left-leaning individuals are generally more environmentally cautious, though climate change concerns have been gradually gaining ground on the right in the last few years.

But EV buyers tending to be more Democrat than Republican is also due to the market incentives.

That’s due to blue states like California implementing stronger EV incentives to encourage buying electric vehicles than red states.

California is still Tesla’s biggest market in the US, but since the automaker moved its headquarters to Texas, the automaker is making progress with Republicans.

A new survey shows an important three-point increase in Republicans considering a Tesla as their next car over just a month (via CNN):

Surveys by research firm Morning Consult show that in January about 22% of Democrats were considering buying a Tesla, while 17% of Republicans were looking to purchase one. And that gap has been closing — Republican consideration of buying a Tesla has risen about 3 percentage points just since December’s survey.

That’s when it comes to jumping into action and actually planning to buy a car, but even more surprising, Republicans are now more trusting of Tesla as a brand than Democrats:

And Republicans are slightly more likely to trust the Tesla brand, 27% compared to 25% among Democrats.
    They make nice golf karts.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

anonymoose (02-27-2022), Callinectes (03-03-2022)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,879 Times in 21,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I’m not really a car guy so I’m likely missing something here but seems to me if the goal is to increase EV use why frame it in a partisan/culture war perspective?
    I often like to point out when the conservatives take a half step forward after years of bitching about it and refusing progress.

Happened with civil rights, women’s rights, gay rights, drugs… those were the big ones. EV’s are another small example. They ridicule progress for many years before finally jumping on the bandwagon.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (02-26-2022), reagansghost (02-26-2022)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,167 Times in 14,705 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not opposed to EVs but I think we should use them when we can source all the material in the US and make them 100% American. Also I think we should transition to EV slowly as technology improves their range and charging speed. I dive a diesel truck to pull a 5th wheel trailer. When there is a good electric alternative I'll consider it. Its not uncommon for me to cover 500+ miles in a day so recharge and range would be important.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    You mean people actually consider politics when they buy a car? Totally and completely asinine. But then again, welcome to today's RepubliQan Party.

Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-26-2022)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,244 Times in 13,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

In terms of quality, Tesla is at best an average product. The cars come with lots of issues causing regular trips to the shop for repairs.

https://www.jdpower.com/sites/defaul...U.S.%20IQS.pdf

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...y-build-issues

Tesla, right now, is the worst car maker in terms of quality there is. Their cars suck in terms of quality and reliability. I will say that Musk has done a superb job of marketing his POS cars to people though...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Callinectes (03-03-2022), Doc Dutch (02-27-2022), Life is Golden (02-27-2022)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I often like to point out when the conservatives take a half step forward after years of bitching about it and refusing progress.

Happened with civil rights, women’s rights, gay rights, drugs… those were the big ones. EV’s are another small example. They ridicule progress for many years before finally jumping on the bandwagon.
    Tesla is a racist company that doesn't pay taxes. Why would any (self respecting) liberal purchase a vehicle from them?

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Tesla is a racist company that doesn't pay taxes. Why would any (self respecting) liberal purchase a vehicle from them?
    Pretty serious charges. Do you have proof of this or is this just allegations? You really should clarify before you post.

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    Pretty serious charges. Do you have proof of this or is this just allegations? You really should clarify before you post.
    Tesla is getting sued by the state of California for rampant discrimination. Now just because a lawsuit is filed doesn't mean the charges are accurate/correct. But if we're taking straight partisan positions when would someone on the left take the side of a major corporation (who doesn't pay taxes) against California in a discrimination/racist lawsuit?

This article is from a local black columnist in 2020.

I wanted a Tesla. Then I found out the company doesn’t hire enough Black people

If one of Tesla’s futuristic sedans had driven past me on the highway during my move from Louisiana to the Bay Area four years ago, I wouldn’t have noticed. I would have missed those sleek Tesla car doors without handles, the dashboards without speedometers, the 15-inch mounted touchscreens. In my car was a busted CD player.

After a few months of seeing these cars darting through Russian Hill in San Francisco, silently steering into parking spots near restaurants in Marin or escaping into the confines of the Oakland hills, I became kind of obsessed. The cars had a clean, minimalist look unlike anything else on the road, and this appealed to me.

Maybe it was where I often passed the cars — usually in neighborhoods where I could only dream of one day owning a house — that had equated affluence and enlightenment to the Tesla brand. Owning a Tesla didn’t just mean I would be financially capable of cutting a $66,000 check for a fully upgraded Model 3, but I would also be doing my part in reducing carbon emissions.

Earlier this month, the company released its first U.S. diversity report. In it, Tesla revealed that Black people make up only 4% of its leadership roles and 10% of its workforce.

After reading this data, I don’t want a Tesla anymore. In fact, I don’t think any Black people should buy one until the company addresses its staffing issues.

The lack of Black people on Tesla’s staff isn’t unusual in the tech world. The industry has long struggled with finding, hiring and promoting Black talent. But this data was often hidden. Only over the past few years have tech companies been more forthright about their diversity issues. Google, for example, reported in May that only 3.7% of its workers are Black.

Am I disappointed in Tesla? Absolutely. We’re in 2020, a year when some of the country’s biggest companies are sprinting to increase racial equity within their workforce. It’s an ongoing push that reached a milestone recently with OneTen, a coalition of 37 U.S. companies — Nike, Comcast, Target, Bank of America and Hewlett-Packard among them — that are aiming to hire and invest in 1 million Black Americans over the next 10 years. To my knowledge, Tesla isn’t a part of something so ambitious.

Tesla is worth roughly $550 billion, making it one of the most valuable auto companies on the planet. It’s based in the Bay Area. (For now.) And the company, in a statement, even said its employment numbers “do not represent the deep talent pools of Black and African American talent that exist in the U.S at every level — from high-school graduates to professionals.”

There’s something about Tesla acknowledging its diversity issues, and trying to justify it by stating how its leadership roles make up less than 0.4% of its overall workforce, that feels like the company is shrugging its shoulders at an important issue. This might be a byproduct of how they don’t often see Black people buying their cars.

I can count the number of Black Tesla owners I personally know on one hand — and have three fingers remaining. This is reflected in 2018 data compiled by a digital marketing company in the automotive aftermarket called Hedges & Company. Based on the company’s 2018 research, which included data from the master vehicle owner database of 175 million owners, “the average Tesla owner is a 54-year-old white man making over $140,000 with no children.”

Since falling in love with Tesla’s cars, I’ve joked with my two older brothers about how one day in the future, I would buy them Teslas as gifts. And being able to give them vehicles from this company would represent how I had “made it,” or reached a social and financial level uncommon among the Black folks we grew up around back home. After telling them about Tesla’s diversity issues, it isn’t a joke we really make anymore.

Now that the company is cementing its roots in Texas, I imagine more of my Black friends and family down South are going to be seeing Teslas driving in their cities. They’ll probably see them leaving and going into affluent neighborhoods, and eventually they’ll want one themselves. And when that time comes, I’ll tell them about Tesla’s leadership data, and I’ll tell them not to buy one.

With 2020 coming to an end, and so much work having been done in this country regarding the elevation of Black voices and Black talent, I’ll repeat something I’ve said before: Why try learning to love a company that doesn’t seem to be making an effort to love you back?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-15805272.php

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,879 Times in 21,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Racist? It’s not their fault they don’t pay taxes, it’s the governments.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Racist? It’s not their fault they don’t pay taxes, it’s the governments.
    California sues Tesla over alleged rampant discrimination against Black employees

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/11/10800...racism-fremont

Maybe I'm missing something. From a liberal perspective explain to me how it's progress to support a company such as this.

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,319 Times in 53,229 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just in the last week I've seen at least four, probably more, threads started by Reichwingers crying about the evils of EVs. and other so-called green energy topics. They might be the ones to ask about why make it partisan.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Tesla is getting sued by the state of California for rampant discrimination. Now just because a lawsuit is filed doesn't mean the charges are accurate/correct. But if we're taking straight partisan positions when would someone on the left take the side of a major corporation (who doesn't pay taxes) against California in a discrimination/racist lawsuit?

This article is from a local black columnist in 2020.

If one of Tesla’s futuristic sedans had driven past me on the highway during my move from Louisiana to the Bay Area four years ago, I wouldn’t have noticed. I would have missed those sleek Tesla car doors without handles, the dashboards without speedometers, the 15-inch mounted touchscreens. In my car was a busted CD player.

After a few months of seeing these cars darting through Russian Hill in San Francisco, silently steering into parking spots near restaurants in Marin or escaping into the confines of the Oakland hills, I became kind of obsessed. The cars had a clean, minimalist look unlike anything else on the road, and this appealed to me.

Maybe it was where I often passed the cars — usually in neighborhoods where I could only dream of one day owning a house — that had equated affluence and enlightenment to the Tesla brand. Owning a Tesla didn’t just mean I would be financially capable of cutting a $66,000 check for a fully upgraded Model 3, but I would also be doing my part in reducing carbon emissions.

Earlier this month, the company released its first U.S. diversity report. In it, Tesla revealed that Black people make up only 4% of its leadership roles and 10% of its workforce.

After reading this data, I don’t want a Tesla anymore. In fact, I don’t think any Black people should buy one until the company addresses its staffing issues.

The lack of Black people on Tesla’s staff isn’t unusual in the tech world. The industry has long struggled with finding, hiring and promoting Black talent. But this data was often hidden. Only over the past few years have tech companies been more forthright about their diversity issues. Google, for example, reported in May that only 3.7% of its workers are Black.

Am I disappointed in Tesla? Absolutely. We’re in 2020, a year when some of the country’s biggest companies are sprinting to increase racial equity within their workforce. It’s an ongoing push that reached a milestone recently with OneTen, a coalition of 37 U.S. companies — Nike, Comcast, Target, Bank of America and Hewlett-Packard among them — that are aiming to hire and invest in 1 million Black Americans over the next 10 years. To my knowledge, Tesla isn’t a part of something so ambitious.

Tesla is worth roughly $550 billion, making it one of the most valuable auto companies on the planet. It’s based in the Bay Area. (For now.) And the company, in a statement, even said its employment numbers “do not represent the deep talent pools of Black and African American talent that exist in the U.S at every level — from high-school graduates to professionals.”

There’s something about Tesla acknowledging its diversity issues, and trying to justify it by stating how its leadership roles make up less than 0.4% of its overall workforce, that feels like the company is shrugging its shoulders at an important issue. This might be a byproduct of how they don’t often see Black people buying their cars.

I can count the number of Black Tesla owners I personally know on one hand — and have three fingers remaining. This is reflected in 2018 data compiled by a digital marketing company in the automotive aftermarket called Hedges & Company. Based on the company’s 2018 research, which included data from the master vehicle owner database of 175 million owners, “the average Tesla owner is a 54-year-old white man making over $140,000 with no children.”

Since falling in love with Tesla’s cars, I’ve joked with my two older brothers about how one day in the future, I would buy them Teslas as gifts. And being able to give them vehicles from this company would represent how I had “made it,” or reached a social and financial level uncommon among the Black folks we grew up around back home. After telling them about Tesla’s diversity issues, it isn’t a joke we really make anymore.

Now that the company is cementing its roots in Texas, I imagine more of my Black friends and family down South are going to be seeing Teslas driving in their cities. They’ll probably see them leaving and going into affluent neighborhoods, and eventually they’ll want one themselves. And when that time comes, I’ll tell them about Tesla’s leadership data, and I’ll tell them not to buy one.

With 2020 coming to an end, and so much work having been done in this country regarding the elevation of Black voices and Black talent, I’ll repeat something I’ve said before: Why try learning to love a company that doesn’t seem to be making an effort to love you back?

So, you think more Republicans are buying Teslas because they're racist?