Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is Ukraine doomed?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Ukraine will continue to exist, they will just have a puppet government installed by Russia and once again become a satellite state owned and controlled by Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesion View Post
    That seems most likely. They 'existed' as part of the Soviet Union from 1921-1991, and it will continue to exist as part of the Russian Federation.
    Ukraine is more than holding their own, and they are never going to surrender.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Damocles (05-12-2022)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Ukraine is more than holding their own, and they are never going to surrender.
    Indeed. I have been surprised at how fearful they are to send fighters and or bombers over Ukraine. They send them in for very short periods and run quickly back to Russia. Ukraine's anti-air defense has been far more effective due to Russian fear of the Soviet Era S300 anti-air defense donated by Slovakia.

I thought Russia would command control of the air when I made those predictions before, but their hesitance to take control of the air over Ukraine makes it near impossible to protect tank columns, etc. and makes their job nearly impossible. Russia seems to have no real military strategy for a victory in Ukraine.

Our intel is far more effective because of this. Russia lost more fighters in the first week than we lost in the entire 20 years in Afghanistan, for example. Air superiority is so important, that the fact that they seem afraid to even try to obtain this objective astounds me and my friends that remain in military service.

All of this bodes well for Ukraine, and makes Putin's position untenable.

All I can say is, "Glory to Ukraine!" or "Slava Ukraine!"
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Indeed. I have been surprised at how fearful they are to send fighters and or bombers over Ukraine. They send them in for very short periods and run quickly back to Russia. Ukraine's anti-air defense has been far more effective due to Russian fear of the Soviet Era S300 anti-air defense donated by Slovakia.

I thought Russia would command control of the air when I made those predictions before, but their hesitance to take control of the air over Ukraine makes it near impossible to protect tank columns, etc. and makes their job nearly impossible. Russia seems to have no real military strategy for a victory in Ukraine.

Our intel is far more effective because of this. Russia lost more fighters in the first week than we lost in the entire 20 years in Afghanistan, for example. Air superiority is so important, that the fact that they seem afraid to even try to obtain this objective astounds me and my friends that remain in military service.

I thought the probability of Putin ordering a full scale invasion was very low, but I didn't think the Russians would have a cakewalk. I thought they were going to face a vigorous and deadly military resistance from the Ukranians, and you can never discount the traditional tenacity of the East Slavs to defend home and hearth against bloodthirsty invaders.

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,310 Times in 8,474 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Ukraine will continue to exist, they will just have a puppet government installed by Russia and once again become a satellite state owned and controlled by Russia.
    I am not blaming Damocles for being so wrong, but he was wrong. He posted this on February 25th, the second day of a war that was predicted to take 3 days. We are now two and a half months into a war that was predicted to last 3 days, and it is clear that it is not going as planned for Putin.

Clearly the Ukrainians are willing to fight, and that includes the Ukrainians who use Russian as their mother tongue. Even in the territories occupied for 8 years, Putin needs terror to keep control.

Biden is willing to supply the weapons that Ukraine needs. More amazing, Germany and other western powers that have historically been more neutral are willing to supply weapons. Biden has swatted away Putin's propaganda in most of the western world. He has done the diplomatic groundwork to keep our allies on our side.

And Ukraine is holding out. Ukraine is not doomed, but it is seriously damaged. Maybe that is all Putin needs. Putin desperately needed Ukraine not to be a western success. If Ukraine could be a liberal democracy with a prosperous efficient economy, then the Russians would start asking why can't they be all that also. That would be the end of Putin.

Maybe by damaging Ukraine with bombs, Putin can set them back... Or maybe not. Japan and Germany came back stronger after WWII's destruction of their economies. Ukrainian refugees are making contacts with the EU, and learning how the EU works. They are entering a crash course in being western. At the end of this war, they may well build back stronger as a western country. Putin may have accelerated the very trend he was trying to avoid.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."
    trump is a child rapist. We all know it.

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    The Ukraine is doomed but it's not Biden's fault, it's their own fault.
    If we start blaming people for wanting to be free and prosper in their own country, then yes, it is Ukraines fault for becoming more western, being free, and prospering. This inadvertently put Putin at risk.

But I refuse to accept a world where everyone needs to live in slavery and poverty to make Putin feel better.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Putin poised to unleash terrifying new weapon in battle for Kyiv

Western leaders fear Vladimir Putin could unleash devastating thermobaric rockets on Ukraine.

Will bungling Biden's sissy-boy sanctions stop him?
    Two and a half months later, Putin's devastating army is devastated, and the Ukrainians, with Biden's help, did stop them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Cypress (05-12-2022)

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    To answer your question only if they trust Biden and democrats to do the right thing. Might as well eat a bullet now....
    Two and a half months later, I am sure they are very happy they did not follow your advise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Cypress (05-12-2022)

11. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I just got good intel...."We are going to kick the living shit out of the Ukrainians..... YOU DONT POKE THE BEAR!" is the program.
    The Russian military has been getting it's ass kicked for 11 weeks.

12. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think we are all surprised how well Ukraine has done. They have not won in the conventional sense, but they have done far better than anyone imagined they could. It is if Luxembourg had been able to fight Germany to a stand still in WWI and WWII.

Putin told Belarus that he would sweep through Ukraine, and then into Moldova. There is already a Russian breakaway republic in Moldova, and Moldova is severely under-defended. They have no planes or helicopters in their air force, and the only tanks they have are for display in museums. All Putin had to do was sweep through Ukraine... We are learning that is not as easy.

13. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Two and a half months later, I am sure they are very happy they did not follow your advise.
    Tell all the dead Ukranians that. Fucking idiot and the other idiot who thanked you. That is what happens when you grow up apartment dwelling limp dicks.

14. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,095 Times in 12,622 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,439 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The Russian military has been getting it's ass kicked for 11 weeks.
    The world is plummeting into chaos and depravation, driven by the infant Western leaders.

China and their friends will cope better than the already collapsing West.

The Empire will also ramp up calls that American power must end.

We are too immature and incompetent.

Buckle Up.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

15. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Tell all the dead Ukranians that. Fucking idiot and the other idiot who thanked you. That is what happens when you grow up apartment dwelling limp dicks.
    You told all the Ukrainians "eat a bullet" because you thought getting aid from the west was hopeless. As it turns out, they have gotten enough aid from the west to hold out against the Russians, and to inflict many deaths on the Russians.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-12-2022)

17. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You told all the Ukrainians "eat a bullet" because you thought getting aid from the west was hopeless. As it turns out, they have gotten enough aid from the west to hold out against the Russians, and to inflict many deaths on the Russians.
    Feel free to show where I said that at all. Now would be good. You fucking white uneducated welfare collecting democrat.

18. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Feel free to show where I said that at all.
    OK, here it is:
    To answer your question only if they trust Biden and democrats to do the right thing. Might as well eat a bullet now....

19. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

OK, here it is:
    Thanks for showing I said nothing remotely to what you said I stated. You may go now, dunce.