Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biologists surprised to discover that some "random" mutations may not be so random

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I wouldn't even attempt to slog my way through the peer reviewed article, it is beyond my pay grade!

Isn't punctuated equilibrium widely accepted by now?
    As a hypothesis yes. As a theory it has had the same problem that Natural Selection had when Darwin postulated it. Darwin didn’t know what the mechanism behind natural selection was. Ironically, and unbeknownst to Darwin, Gregor Mendel had discovered that mechanism around the same time Darwin published “On The Origin of Species”. Only Mendel’s work wasn’t published until after he died.

So it’s a similar situation with punctuated equilibrium. It has been observed but the mechanism was not known or identified by Gould/Eldridge. Now with this evidence there could now be evidence for a mechanism for punctuated equilibrium, if you see my point?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (02-09-2022)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    I understand but I am talking about the random mutations that will not survive in an environment. Those are eliminated.
    Well, I’m not trying to come off as splitting hairs with you but that’s true of natural selection regardless of if a genetic mutation is random or not. It’s just until now it was believed that genetic mutations were always random. The paradigm shift, and it’s a major one, is we now have evidence that on some instance the genetic mutations are not always random but are directed by adaptive mechanisms to protect the beneficial genetic codons.

However, regardless of if genetic mutations are always random or not, they still have to be naturally selected. Which is and always has been a non random process.

I guess what I’m trying to point out is the cause of a genetic mutation, whether it is random or not, has no bearing if that mutation is eliminated. Natural Selection determines that and not the mutation. However a directed mutation does appear to have a higher probability of being selected, if you see where I’m coming from? It still has to be selected. Which I think you would probably agree with.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 02-09-2022 at 07:25 PM.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Well, I’m not trying to come off as splitting hairs with you but that’s true of natural selection regardless of if a genetic mutation is random or not. It’s just until now it was believed that genetic mutations were always random. The paradigm shift, and it’s a major one, is we now have evidence that on some instance the genetic mutations are not always random but are directed by adaptive mechanisms to protect the beneficial genetic codons.

However, regardless of if genetic mutations are always random or not, they still have to be naturally selected. Which is and always has been a non random process.
    I agree. Abiogenesis and evolution are not random processes. The laws of physics aren't random either. The errors are just eliminated much like with computer programming.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Cypress (02-09-2022), Mott the Hoople (02-11-2022)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

black Jewish atheists are not natural......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

malaria immunity intelligently designed by malaria?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I agree. Abiogenesis and evolution are not random processes. The laws of physics aren't random either. The errors are just eliminated much like with computer programming.

But to be clear, natural selection is only one type of force driving evolution, and it is not random because it is adaptive to the environment.

Genetic drift is a evolutionary force which actually is random, but it is not adaptive like natural selection is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

AProudLefty (02-09-2022)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not always. Sometimes the errors get through and you end up with a Post Modern Prophet or a Lesion Troll.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

AProudLefty (02-11-2022), Doc Dutch (02-11-2022)

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,426 Times in 52,450 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Not always. Sometimes the errors get through and you end up with a Post Modern Prophet or a Lesion Troll.
    Good point but it may not be due to random mutations. They could be either a "Crack baby" and kids who got dropped a lot by their mothers.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (02-11-2022)