Thread: Supreme court justice selection method

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Supreme court justice selection method

Should we change the method we select them?
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

I voted for Grind, that way he can select me as Chief Justice for life.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

None of these seem complicated enough for me. Here is my proposed system.

1.) I think that the President should get to recommend one person to a panel, the Senate Majority leader gets to recommend one person, and the Speaker House gets to recommend one.

2.)These three three people each draw one letter out of a hat holding all 26 letters. This will give them three letters.

3.) With the help of the FBI and the NSA they must compile a list of all Americans who have these three initials.

5.) From this list the three person panel will select five candidates whose initials reflect the three letters the panel drew.

6.)The panel will vote to strike one of the five names from consideration.

7.) Then the remaining four candidate names are sent first to the House where the Speaker will get to strike one more name.

8.) Then the remaining three will proceed to the Senate, where the President pro Temp will strike another name from consideration.

9.) The last two names will make their way to the President, who will decide from among them which one he wants.

10.) The nominee then must be confirmed by the Senate.

11.) After being confirmed by the Senate, the appointment is sent to each of the 50 states for ratification by two-thirds of each state's legislature. The appointment must be ratified by at least half of the states successfully, or the process starts all over again.
    Last edited by Epicurus; 04-20-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermarx View Post
    Should we change the method we select them?
    I think one twenty year term is sufficient.
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post

1.) I think that the President should get to recommend one person to a panel, the Senate Majority leader gets to recommend one person, and the Speaker House gets to recommend one.

2.)These three three people each draw one letter out of a hat holding all 26 letters. This will give them three letters.

3.) With the help of the FBI and the NSA they must compile a list of all Americans who have these three initials.

5.) From this list the three person panel will select five candidates whose initials reflect the three letters the panel drew.

7.) Then the remaining four candidate names are sent first to the House where the Speaker will get to strike one more name.

8.) Then the remaining three will proceed to the Senate, where the President pro Temp will strike another name from consideration.

9.) The last two names will make their way to the President, who will decide from among them which one he wants.

11.) After being confirmed by the Senate, the appointment is sent to each of the 50 states for ratification by two-thirds of each state's legislature. The appointment must be ratified by at least half of the states successfully, or the process starts all over again.
    You forgot proportional representation epic.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post

This would lead to a string of XYZ Affairs...
    Last edited by Minister of Truth; 04-20-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: I mis-spelled "Affairs"

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

You forgot proportional representation epic.
    The way I made it up is kind of IRV-esque.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,119 Times in 1,992 Posts

i dont' see getting rid of the life time appt. i don't want any justice on the supreme court thinking about what they are going to do after their term is up etc...need them to be as unbiased as possible.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    i dont' see getting rid of the life time appt. i don't want any justice on the supreme court thinking about what they are going to do after their term is up etc...need them to be as unbiased as possible.
    What are they going to do after their term is up?

Retire.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's unfair that a justice gets to have their voice heard longer on the court based on trivial things like how long they live. They should all get a single 20 year term, and that's it for them as far as the judiciary goes. It has all the neutrality benefits of a life term without the depends-on-how-long-you-can-kick-it unfairness of a life term.

Also I hate the president so I think congress should appoint instead.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What are they going to do after their term is up?

Retire.
    no...get on all sorts of boards etc...just like politicians

think about it...what was your last job, scotus....very high demand, high visibility, just like politicians and i don't want the court full of politicians

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's unfair that a justice gets to have their voice heard longer on the court based on trivial things like how long they live. They should all get a single 20 year term, and that's it for them as far as the judiciary goes. It has all the neutrality benefits of a life term without the depends-on-how-long-you-can-kick-it unfairness of a life term.

Also I hate the president so I think congress should appoint instead.
    honestly, that is one of the strangest posts i have seen from you. just because they live longer...looool. life taint fair...and i do not believe that a single term will be neutral, see post above. independence is important and non life appts, IMO, would greatly take away from that....

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

and even with 20 year appts, one could still die and then still not have the same voice as you say....

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    I think one twenty year term is sufficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Two interesting perspectives. Personally I have a problem with lifetime appointments (even for the Pope) because it absolves them from behaving responsibly at their job. During the Founder's time it life expectancy wasn't as long as it is now, so I think a change is justified. I don't think we need to worry about what happens after retirement because they get 100% of their income and these guys, when retired, are too old to spend lots of ill begotten cash. And 20 years seems too long because most become Judges in their 50's, meaning they'd be lifetime appointments anyway.

Looking at the intention of the Constitution, the House term is two years to keep the folks who control the spending close to re-election, and the Senate 6 years to allow them some distance from the voter. Less than 8 would mean a two-term president could be requiring favors for the guy to get a re-term. So I'll say either 8 years would be ideal, with possibility of a second term.