Thread: 'I was born free, I will die free': Hospital denies man kidney transplant over vax

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default 'I was born free, I will die free': Hospital denies man kidney transplant over vax

A North Carolina man who desperately needs a kidney transplant said he has been denied an operation because of his vaccination status.

But he said he is not changing his mind, and he said he is willing to die over his beliefs.

Right now, Chad Carswell's kidney is only operating at about 4%.

Asked whether he might change his mind, Carswell told ABC affiliate WSOC:

"No sir ... I was born free. I will die free. I'm not changing my mind. I've had conversations with my family and everybody who is close to me and they know where I stand and there will not be a situation that occurs where I'll change my mind on this topic."

The hospital is also standing firm, saying the vaccine is all about protection -- as transplant patients are at high risk for severe illness if they don't have pre-existing immunity.

https://abc11.com/chad-carswell-man-...ital/11518988/
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

evince (01-29-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-29-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Chad Carswell, a double amputee who has undergone several major surgeries on his heart, now faces a different battle. Carswell told Channel 9′s Dave Faherty his kidney is only operating at about 4%.

Dialysis three times a week keeps him going, but the solution is temporary.

“Without (a kidney transplant) there’s no telling how much longer I’ll be here, I have to have a kidney to prolong my life,” he said.

Carswell said he has received all kinds of tests and scans from Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem in hopes of getting a kidney transplant. Instead, Carswell learned that he and anyone who wanted to donate a kidney would be required to be vaccinated before the surgery.

He said friends and local businesses raised money to fund the transplant. More than 100 people, Carswell said, have offered to donate a kidney, but because of his vaccination status, that can’t happen.

Carswell said he won’t get the vaccine and he is willing to die over it.

“You will not change your mind?” Faherty asked.

“No sir, I was born free. I will die free. I’m not changing my mind,” Carswell said. “I’ve had conversations with my family and everybody who is close to me and they know where I stand and there will not be a situation that occurs where I’ll change my mind on this topic.”

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/i-...JB7VT24P5RED4/
    Last edited by Guno צְבִי; 01-29-2022 at 08:34 AM.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

evince (01-29-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-29-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

6. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-29-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    What makes these people unable to tell fact from fiction

It’s bizarre
    What makes them discriminated against for a transplant they need? Hmm?

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,494 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    A North Carolina man who desperately needs a kidney transplant said he has been denied an operation because of his vaccination status.

But he said he is not changing his mind, and he said he is willing to die over his beliefs.

Right now, Chad Carswell's kidney is only operating at about 4%.

Asked whether he might change his mind, Carswell told ABC affiliate WSOC:

"No sir ... I was born free. I will die free. I'm not changing my mind. I've had conversations with my family and everybody who is close to me and they know where I stand and there will not be a situation that occurs where I'll change my mind on this topic."

The hospital is also standing firm, saying the vaccine is all about protection -- as transplant patients are at high risk for severe illness if they don't have pre-existing immunity.

https://abc11.com/chad-carswell-man-...ital/11518988/
    It also shows that he is unlikely to follow the post-transplantation protocols. With donated organs so scarce, they will give priority to those who have demonstrated their willingness to do what it takes to stay healthy and prevent rejection.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (01-29-2022), Guno צְבִי (01-29-2022), Phantasmal (01-29-2022), Walt (01-29-2022)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,494 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    It's not discrimination. They do the same thing for ppl who refuse to follow other medical protocols pre-transplantation. Would you give a scarce resource to someone unlikely to do what it takes to keep it?

My late husband's first cardiologist told him that he could be a candidate for a heart transplant -- if he lost weight and quit smoking. He did neither one.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (01-29-2022), Phantasmal (01-29-2022), Walt (01-29-2022)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,008 Times in 8,270 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Kidneys must go to the people most likely to not die. If you have a kidney that can either go to someone with a 50% chance of death, or a 5% chance of death, you give it to the one with a 5% chance of death. You have the greatest chance of saving a life.

You do not like it? Everyone is allowed to voice their opinion, but everyone does not get a say. The doctors that do these transplants decide how to do them. If you want to change that, you need to go to medical school.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-29-2022)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It's not discrimination. They do the same thing for ppl who refuse to follow other medical protocols pre-transplantation. Would you give a scarce resource to someone unlikely to do what it takes to keep it?

My late husband's first cardiologist told him that he could be a candidate for a heart transplant -- if he lost weight and quit smoking. He did neither one.
    Exactly, my dad couldn't even have cooked out alcohol under liver transplant guidelines. I'd say, discrimination my ass, it's a disservice to donors to let the foolhardy that would gamble with a 2nd chance at life like it's a dice roll even be considered.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-29-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-29-2022)