Thread: FINALLY cutting the cord!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,454 Times in 9,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 867 Times in 825 Posts

Default FINALLY cutting the cord!

Im probably the last dumbass here that kept holding on to traditional cable but I finally did it. I have been a customer of Charter spectrum for decades and generally liked their service,.. but man,......they just keep creeping up and up in price to the point where now you just feel screwed over . Time to go. I will continue on with their wifi service though.

Additional info..... I also have the free stuff that anyone can get like Pluto, Roku, Tubi, Peacock, and IMDB. And my paid Prime video membership. I mean really,....how much tv can you watch. Honestly,....if I were a single guy,....I wouldnt have cable or a cable alternative at all, the free stuff combined with the free network tv would be PLENTY enuff.

So,....here is what I did in my search for a cable replacement. First,....I kept my cable while I was trying other alternatives so that no matter what happened I would have good reliable service. Then I tried 2 of the top three alternatives before setting on one. I looked up the ratings on each and also the type of programming that came with it.

Tried YOUTUBE TV for a month as it was highly rated. Honestly,....didnt like it that much at all. VERY glitchy IMO. Lots of times the picture would freeze up, buffer. If it would have been something where it was every now and then I would have been ok with it,....but it wasnt......it was just a little too much for my liking.

Next up.....FUBO TV,...The techies that rate this stuff all had them at the top, or near the top. They have 2 packages, one is like 62 a month, the other is like 70 a month. One thing that drew me to FUBO is it is really sports heavy and I am very much into sports. Even in the 62 a month version which is the one I chose, came with espn 1 and 2 , the NFL Network, and the Big 10 network. Those are all MUSTS for me. It also has a VERY nice variety of other channels in its lineup so you get plenty of movies, shows, and docs. I have like 50, 52 channels somewhere in that range and just about all are channels that I would watch. Plus all my local channels as well. You also have the ability to pause and record/rewind live tv.

How does it perform? IMO....EXCELLENT. Once in a blue moon it will freeze and buffer for a quick second but VERY rarely. Might happen for me once every couple days or so for 10 seconds instead of 10 times a day like I had with YOUTUBETV.

My conclusion? FUBO is the way to go. Its reliable, has a great channel lineup, and the price is right in there where it should be. Bye bye cable.

Hope this helps someone........

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stone For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-28-2022), Jack (01-28-2022), Matt Dillon (01-28-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh,....in addition to all this other stuff we used to have Netflix too. I never liked it much myself. It was either all stuff Ive seen a million times OR a bunch of totally cheesy B movies. I just kept it around for my wife, and it was cheap. Then, she stopped using it all that much so that got shit canned too.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Im probably the last dumbass here that kept holding on to traditional cable but I finally did it. I have been a customer of Charter spectrum for decades and generally liked their service,.. but man,......they just keep creeping up and up in price to the point where now you just feel screwed over . Time to go. I will continue on with their wifi service though.

Additional info..... I also have the free stuff that anyone can get like Pluto, Roku, Tubi, Peacock, and IMDB. And my paid Prime video membership. I mean really,....how much tv can you watch. Honestly,....if I were a single guy,....I wouldnt have cable or a cable alternative at all, the free stuff combined with the free network tv would be PLENTY enuff.

So,....here is what I did in my search for a cable replacement. First,....I kept my cable while I was trying other alternatives so that no matter what happened I would have good reliable service. Then I tried 2 of the top three alternatives before setting on one. I looked up the ratings on each and also the type of programming that came with it.

Tried YOUTUBE TV for a month as it was highly rated. Honestly,....didnt like it that much at all. VERY glitchy IMO. Lots of times the picture would freeze up, buffer. If it would have been something where it was every now and then I would have been ok with it,....but it wasnt......it was just a little too much for my liking.

Next up.....FUBO TV,...The techies that rate this stuff all had them at the top, or near the top. They have 2 packages, one is like 62 a month, the other is like 70 a month. One thing that drew me to FUBO is it is really sports heavy and I am very much into sports. Even in the 62 a month version which is the one I chose, came with espn 1 and 2 , the NFL Network, and the Big 10 network. Those are all MUSTS for me. It also has a VERY nice variety of other channels in its lineup so you get plenty of movies, shows, and docs. I have like 50, 52 channels somewhere in that range and just about all are channels that I would watch. Plus all my local channels as well. You also have the ability to pause and record/rewind live tv.

How does it perform? IMO....EXCELLENT. Once in a blue moon it will freeze and buffer for a quick second but VERY rarely. Might happen for me once every couple days or so for 10 seconds instead of 10 times a day like I had with YOUTUBETV.

My conclusion? FUBO is the way to go. Its reliable, has a great channel lineup, and the price is right in there where it should be. Bye bye cable.

Thanks...it does...will definitely check out FUBO...you hooked me with the sports channels...

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Thanks...it does...will definitely check out FUBO...you hooked me with the sports channels...
    I love it. I really do. Any questions do not hesitate to ask. And btw,....there are quite a few other sports channels as well,...I just mentioned the most well known. You also get Fox sports 1 and I think 2 along with others.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

TOP (01-28-2022)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

I love it. I really do. Any questions do not hesitate to ask. And btw,....there are quite a few other sports channels as well,...I just mentioned the most well known. You also get Fox sports 1 and I think 2 along with others.
    Will do... But that's one I hadn't heard of...

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

We moved two weeks ago and started streaming everything, we like it so far. We went with the HULU, Disney, ESPN+ package and we are Prime Members as well. Our costs went down 100.00/month vs cable at old house
    Doc Dutch finally admits he is a steaming pile of chickenshit!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stringfellow Hawk For This Post:

Stone (01-28-2022)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Stone, what are you doing about Internet...and phone?

I call across country often...so the unlimited phone service is big. And we use the cable service for our Internet service.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I call across country often...so the unlimited phone service is big.
    Skype.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

We did the same with spectrum a year ago , just use their wifi and just use streaming
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Stone (01-28-2022)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you are referring to TV, then may I suggest, that you get an antenna and get your TV service free from the air.
    Lock Him Up

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Stone, what are you doing about Internet...and phone?

I call across country often...so the unlimited phone service is big. And we use the cable service for our Internet service.
    I kept the "wifi internet" and phone. Phone was awesome, I am locked in at it and costs me almost nothing. I just got rid of the cable end of it.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    If you are referring to TV, then may I suggest, that you get an antenna and get your TV service free from the air.
    Naw,...I cant/wont. Not enuff viewing options. Also I need the sports channels to watch my teams. Im good with sixty some a month I pay Fubo. Also,....its not REALLY about saving the money with us, but that aspect is nice too,....it is more about feeling like you are getting screwed over by the big cable companies.