Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cawacko re: Supreme Court

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 18 Times in 16 Posts

Default Cawacko re: Supreme Court

Cawacko, would love to respond to your thoughts, but I'm not going on that thread, for reasons obvious to anyone who sees the title.

I agree with you, in part. Certainly it was black voters who gave Biden the nomination. It was a fascinating primary. Full disclosure, I supported Kamala in the primary and I wanted a Harris/O'Rourke tickets. Biden was down on my list, trust me. A lot of primary voters were waiting to see who the "anybody but Bernie" votes trended towards. I remember the Klobuchar voters standing around one of the caucuses, she didn't have enough, so they were waiting to see who had the best numbers against Bernie. I love Amy btw! Man, when I heard that comb story,. I was like, yeah! People who bitched about it never had people working for them. Since I was promoted to assistant to the assistant manager at Costco last year, after 10 years of being a cashier, I have. Most people are idiots! I say, comb them!

Anyway, I knew it wouldn't be Amy or Liz, or anyone without big black support. At some point, it became obvious that the anyone but Bernie (which is by far the majority of the dem base) was going to go to Biden, and then of course, we hit the South and Clyburn said it's gonna be Joe. That was a big boon to Biden, but I personally think the black vote was trending towards him anyway, especially with Kamala dropping out.

But I also think it's important to note that black women specifically, are the Democrats most reliable voters. They vote. In addition, they do a lot of the field work. The knocking on doors, and etc.

They are owed by the Democratic party. They should have someone who looks like them in the VP seat, and in the Supreme Court seat. They, unlike many of the sneering idiots here,. are well aware of the many qualified black women in this country, so they know that 'the best person for the job" can absolutely be found among their demographic.

But that's just politics. I think that any President while choosing a nominee, doesn't ask for "the best person" because no such person exists who can be universally agreed upon as "the best" even among those vetting them and don't have a "white male" agenda. They always ask, "who's going to make the biggest part of my base happy".

That's been going on forever. Black women finally said, hey, we're the most dedicated, loyal part of your base, where's ours? And they were right to do so.

Just my two cents.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

evince (02-01-2022), Frank Apisa (02-01-2022), Jarod (01-27-2022), reagansghost (02-01-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-27-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Now I have to run out and get stuff in preparation for this Nor'easter. I will see you later!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

evince (02-01-2022), Phantasmal (02-01-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Blacks represent about 12% of the electorate. They typically vote for Democrats. Black votes dropped in 2020 from 2016.

Black voting did not hand the election to Biden. Fraudulent mail in ballots did.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Celticguy (01-27-2022), Earl (02-01-2022), Stringfellow Hawk (01-27-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 6,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,852 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Blacks represent about 12% of the electorate. They typically vote for Democrats. Black votes dropped in 2020 from 2016.

Black voting did not hand the election to Biden. Fraudulent mail in ballots did.
    Are you cawacko?

Quick trivia: did you know that Trump also declared "massive fraud" in 2016, when there was no additional mail-in due to COVID? Oh, and guess what? He also said 2012 was a "sham."

You believe that there was fraud because a pathological liar told you to. Congrats.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-27-2022), Darla (01-27-2022), evince (02-01-2022), Jack (01-27-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-27-2022)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Cawacko, would love to respond to your thoughts, but I'm not going on that thread, for reasons obvious to anyone who sees the title.

I agree with you, in part. Certainly it was black voters who gave Biden the nomination. It was a fascinating primary. Full disclosure, I supported Kamala in the primary and I wanted a Harris/O'Rourke tickets. Biden was down on my list, trust me. A lot of primary voters were waiting to see who the "anybody but Bernie" votes trended towards. I remember the Klobuchar voters standing around one of the caucuses, she didn't have enough, so they were waiting to see who had the best numbers against Bernie. I love Amy btw! Man, when I heard that comb story,. I was like, yeah! People who bitched about it never had people working for them. Since I was promoted to assistant to the assistant manager at Costco last year, after 10 years of being a cashier, I have. Most people are idiots! I say, comb them!

Anyway, I knew it wouldn't be Amy or Liz, or anyone without big black support. At some point, it became obvious that the anyone but Bernie (which is by far the majority of the dem base) was going to go to Biden, and then of course, we hit the South and Clyburn said it's gonna be Joe. That was a big boon to Biden, but I personally think the black vote was trending towards him anyway, especially with Kamala dropping out.

But I also think it's important to note that black women specifically, are the Democrats most reliable voters. They vote. In addition, they do a lot of the field work. The knocking on doors, and etc.

They are owed by the Democratic party. They should have someone who looks like them in the VP seat, and in the Supreme Court seat. They, unlike many of the sneering idiots here,. are well aware of the many qualified black women in this country, so they know that 'the best person for the job" can absolutely be found among their demographic.

But that's just politics. I think that any President while choosing a nominee, doesn't ask for "the best person" because no such person exists who can be universally agreed upon as "the best" even among those vetting them and don't have a "white male" agenda. They always ask, "who's going to make the biggest part of my base happy".

That's been going on forever. Black women finally said, hey, we're the most dedicated, loyal part of your base, where's ours? And they were right to do so.

Just my two cents.
    I responded in a couple of different threads but I think we are saying the same thing. As you stated, black women are the most loyal Democratic voters and it was Clyburn who basically saved Biden's campaign and one of the promises Biden made to him was to appoint a black woman to the Supreme Court. That's why I said his numbers would really tank if he didn't because that would likely really piss them off. But it seems pretty clear he's going to appoint a black woman and politically it's the smart thing to do.

I don't read blogs on judges, I'm sure in D.C. legal circles the chattering class can identify those who they think have the most potential to be future S.C. appointments. And I'm sure conservative and liberal groups track who the brightest judges are. But there's no metric that says this particular individual is the most qualified that I'm aware of.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Darla (01-27-2022), Jack (01-27-2022), Jarod (01-27-2022)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I responded in a couple of different threads but I think we are saying the same thing. As you stated, black women are the most loyal Democratic voters and it was Clyburn who basically saved Biden's campaign and one of the promises Biden made to him was to appoint a black woman to the Supreme Court. That's why I said his numbers would really tank if he didn't because that would likely really piss them off. But it seems pretty clear he's going to appoint a black woman and politically it's the smart thing to do.

I don't read blogs on judges, I'm sure in D.C. legal circles the chattering class can identify those who they think have the most potential to be future S.C. appointments. And I'm sure conservative and liberal groups track who the brightest judges are. But there's no metric that says this particular individual is the most qualified that I'm aware of.
    Trump tossed his base 3 appointments to the Supreme Court, Biden has to do the same thing since Clyburn anoited him to Souther Blacks, making sure Bernie wouldn't get their Vote.

And stepping back, looking at it in a rational way (rather than political), a Black woman might make up for that obvious Token Negro, Clarence Thomas.

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post

You. Are. An. Idiot!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Frank Apisa (02-01-2022)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Now I have to run out and get stuff in preparation for this Nor'easter. I will see you later!
    It is going to be a puff of wind and a little snow. Bout the equivalent of hen fart in a hurricane. You must be one of those wannabe New Engladahs...

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    It is going to be a puff of wind and a little snow. Bout the equivalent of hen fart in a hurricane. You must be one of those wannabe New Engladahs...
    Poopeye the fish cleaner.
    Lock Him Up

16. The Following User Groans At Trumpet For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-01-2022)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep, we agree. That's why I can't stand this round and round about "just pick the most qualified candidate".

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

evince (02-01-2022), Jarod (01-27-2022)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Yep, we agree. That's why I can't stand this round and round about "just pick the most qualified candidate".
    Qualifications are important, even with political appointees, question becomes how political do you want to extend. What makes is scary in recent times is that with just a simple majority vote needed, any President only has to nominate someone who appeals to their political base and basically, nothing else. Before, I think qualifications did play a more important role having to secure a sixty vote threshold. Don't believe that Mitch set the precedent cause he was worried about a nominees qualifications

20. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

evince (02-01-2022)

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Experience alone doesn’t necessarily make someone better but no President wants to appoint someone who is 70 years old to the SC even if they may be “the most qualified”. It’s ageism but it’s reality. Basically they want to appoint close to the youngest person they can who is deemed acceptable.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Qualifications are important, even with political appointees, question becomes how political do you want to extend. What makes is scary in recent times is that with just a simple majority vote needed, any President only has to nominate someone who appeals to their political base and basically, nothing else. Before, I think qualifications did play a more important role having to secure a sixty vote threshold. Don't believe that Mitch set the precedent cause he was worried about a nominees qualifications
    I definitely agree, but the people under consideration are usually chosen from a certain level of already highly qualified folks. At among that rarified group, IMO, there can really be no consensus on who the best qualified is.

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Experience alone doesn’t necessarily make someone better but no President wants to appoint someone who is 70 years old to the SC even if they may be “the most qualified”. It’s ageism but it’s reality. Basically they want to appoint close to the youngest person they can who is deemed acceptable.
    Yep, age plays a big role.

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

I definitely agree, but the people under consideration are usually chosen from a certain level of already highly qualified folks. At among that rarified group, IMO, there can really be no consensus on who the best qualified is.
    Not sure on that one, Kavanagh came right off of the Heritage's list, under the preMitch requirements, doubtful he would have ever made it, Barrett is also questionable given her unbending staunch conservative history

And there is never going to be the "best qualified candidate," but you used to think even with the influence of politics, it was the better nominee