Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So much for the Trump economy:

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,736 Times in 14,331 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Callinectes View Post
    This is bullshit. How did Trump “wreck” the economy, and how did ‘tater ‘tard “fix” it? Put up or shut up.
    Idiot. He started a trade war with all of our (now) ex trading partners.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-27-2022)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Highest inflation rate since the end of Jimmy Carter makes it all not just a wash but an actual wages and wealth loss.
    Appears one doesn’t understand the concept of demand pull inflation, the effects of an imbalance in aggregate supply and demand, was always going to happen, but it isn’t structural

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Highest inflation rate since the end of Jimmy Carter makes it all not just a wash but an actual wages and wealth loss.
    download (1).jpg
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 890 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Why does it have to be true or false? Do you think complex economic issues can be distilled that way?

They can't. The lockdowns contributed, but a transformational leader could have overcome the obstacles. EVERY PRESIDENT has had a major crisis - terrorist attacks, wars, housing bubbles, crashes. Every single President.

Say that Trump did a good job with COVID. You can't. He took both sides of the issues, created confusion & division, and ADMITTED that he downplayed it. He was terrible. The worst possible President during a pandemic. And that contributed to the economy's downfall.

So, false.
    Why can't you read AND understand the entire post before you start typing?

I DO think Trump mishandled Coivd-19.
    He should NEVER have allowed the lockdowns and taken every state/municipality to court whom tried (though you TOTALLY disagree with that).
    That would have stopped the lockdowns before they began...and the 'Covid Depression' NEVER would have happened in America.
    But - you are right - he tried to sit on the fence too much.

Now....

MY QUESTION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TRUMP OR BIDEN!!!

THIS IS A MACROECONOMIC QUESTION ONLY.

OKAY?

Last time...

True or false, please?

The 'Covid Depression' was caused by the lockdowns...period.
    That means that when the lockdowns were lifted...the economy should automatically rebound back to near, pre-lockdown levels?

True or false, please?

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,736 Times in 14,331 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Appears one doesn’t understand the concept of demand pull inflation, the effects of an imbalance in aggregate supply and demand, was always going to happen, but it isn’t structural
    Corporations, despite getting billions in Fed handouts since the trump virus shut down the economy, are hiking prices despite record profits and record cash on hand.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    Why can't you read AND understand the entire post before you start typing?

I DO think Trump mishandled Coivd-19.
    He should NEVER have allowed the lockdowns and taken every state/municipality to court whom tried (though you TOTALLY disagree with that).
    That would have stopped the lockdowns before they began...and the 'Covid Depression' NEVER would have happened in America.
    But - you are right - he tried to sit on the fence too much.

Now....

MY QUESTION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TRUMP OR BIDEN!!!

THIS IS A MACROECONOMIC QUESTION ONLY.

OKAY?

Last time...

True or false, please?

That means that when the lockdowns were lifted...the economy should automatically rebound back to near, pre-lockdown levels?

True or false, please?
    If you didn't have the "period" in there, I'd play.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

[QUOTE=McRocket;4920860]First - I despise BOTH Trump and Biden as POTUS.

True or false, please?

That means that when the lockdowns were lifted...the economy would automatically rebound back to pre-lockdown levels?

True or false, please?
    [/QUOTE

If only life was an either or decision, it is an open ended question, not a dichotomy

Covid caused the lockdowns, did you think people were anxious to get out there and circulate knowing a virus with no vaccines was spreading rapidly via social contact?

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you didn't have the "period" in there, I'd play.
    Okay...than what else caused the economy of almost EVERY, SINGLE nation in the Western world to crash the most in one quarter in their history(s) - ALL at the SAME time - if not for the restrictions from Covid?

The weather?

Trump?

What?

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Okay...than what else caused the economy of almost EVERY, SINGLE nation in the Western world to crash the most in one quarter in their history(s) - ALL at the SAME time - if not for the restrictions from Covid?

The weather?

Trump?

What?
    Why does that matter?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

11. The Following User Groans At BartenderElite For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (01-28-2022)

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why does that matter?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
    The question IS the point I am trying to make.

But you assume that there must be some Trumpbot-angle that I am trying to ram down your throat.

Forget it...you don't want to answer the question...fine.

Bye.

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The weather?

Trump?

What?
    Why do you keep skipping the obvious, Covid caused it, did you think life was going to go on as normal when a killer virus with no vaccines or natural immunity was rapidly spreading thru social contact?

You had a number of Red States who didn’t lockdown, yet they suffered the same economic fate, how does that fit into your framing

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The question IS the point I am trying to make.

But you assume that there must be some Trumpbot-angle that I am trying to ram down your throat.

Forget it...you don't want to answer the question...fine.

Bye.
    I didn't assume that, or even think it.

Your question didn't really make sense. Just wanted some clarification.

See ya, I guess.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why do you keep skipping the obvious, Covid caused it, did you think life was going to go on as normal when a killer virus with no vaccines or natural immunity was rapidly spreading thru social contact?

You had a number of Red States who didn’t lockdown, yet they suffered the same economic fate, how does that fit into your framing
    1) And where is your link to unbiased, factual proof that ANY 'RED' state COMPLETELY ignored lockdowns THROUGHOUT and still suffered that same drop in GDP as other states did that locked down?
    I GUARANTEE that no such link exists.

2) also...Sweden did not lockdown REMOTELY as much as America (though it did have some restrictions).
    Yet their GDP rose during 2020...when almost every, other western countries fell.

https://tradingeconomics.com/sweden/gdp

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp

There is just some of MY evidence that lockdowns/Covid restrictions DID cause the 'Covid Depression'.
    Last edited by McRocket; 01-27-2022 at 09:59 PM.

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

actually its a net loss.......inflation was 7% but growth was only 5.7%.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 661 Times in 608 Posts

”U.S. economy grew 5.7 percent in 2021 in rebound from 2020 recession”

“The U.S. economy grew last year at the fastest pace since Ronald Reagan’s presidency, bouncing back with resilience from 2020′s brief but devastating recession. GDP had shrunk 3.4 percent in 2020, the steepest full-year drop since an 11.6 percent plunge in 1946“

“The nation’s gross domestic product — its total output of goods and services — expanded 5.7 percent in 2021. It was the strongest calendar-year growth since a 7.2 percent surge in 1984 after a previous recession. The economy ended the year by growing at an unexpectedly brisk 6.9 percent annual pace from October through December, the Commerce Department reported Thursday.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...ssion-00002678

News you won’t see on Tucker and Sean

And because I know the “but, but, but inflation” is going arise let me borrow from the news to explain demand pull inflation so even the wingers can understand it:

“The resurgence in demand was so robust, in fact, that it caught businesses off guard. Many struggled to acquire enough supplies and workers to meet a swift increase in customer orders. Shortages became especially acute for goods ordered for homes, from appliances to sporting goods to electronic equipment. And with computer chips in especially short supply, auto dealers were left desperately short of vehicles.

“Factories, ports and freight yards were overwhelmed and supply chains became ensnarled. Inflation began to accelerate.”

Least Biden won’t be lying like Donnie when he points out he did inherited a lousy economy
    This is an addition to tRump's crashed economy at not making America great again but putting the domestic and global economies at the brink of a complete second great depression scenario. Fortunately, the majority voter and uncorrupted electoral college and unhacked election this time in 2020 rose to the occasion at giving tRump and his lawlessly hacked in sewer mob the boot! The legacy of what tRump did to America in terms of a legacy of crap:

5 Ways the Trump Administration’s Policy Failures Compounded the Coronavirus-Induced Economic Crisis
    The Trump administration’s failure to respond to the coronavirus pandemic and the subsequent economic fallout has exacerbated both crises in the United States.

The Trump administration’s failed public health response is mirrored by its failure to respond to the economic crisis, which has led to an economic fallout that sets the United States apart from other high-income nations.

With some 37.6 million Americans filing for unemployment insurance since the beginning of March and the official unemployment rate reaching 14.7 percent in April—a level not seen since the Great Depression—the American economy is in a disastrous state, with repercussions expected for years to come. The level of economic and public health pain that Americans are now experiencing, however, was not inevitable, but rather the consequence of a series of policy failures that started well before the coronavirus outbreak. The Trump administration’s past actions weakened the United States’ ability to respond to the pandemic, and its current actions continue to exacerbate the dual public health and economic crises. Although Congress was able to pass a series of stimulus measures that have blunted the economic pain for families, this relief happened in spite of the Trump administration, not because of it.

The weakness of the Trump administration’s economic response to the coronavirus crisis—much like the failure of its public health response—can be seen in comparison with the United States’ international peers. As demonstrated by the experiences of peer nations, a rapid and coordinated public health response could have contained the pandemic more effectively and reduced the mounting economic losses. Instead, it seems as though the United States is getting the worst of both: the highest death toll of any country and what will likely be the sharpest economic contraction in American history."
    https://www.americanprogress.org/art...onomic-crisis/