Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Republicans Can Block Breyer’s Replacement

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default How Republicans Can Block Breyer’s Replacement

FEAR THE TURTLE

Within moments of widespread media reports that Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer will retire when the current term ends this summer, the Washington parlor game of making a short list of judges bungling Joe Biden might consider to replace him began.

After all, bungling Biden had pledged during the campaign that he would nominate a Black woman to the nine-Justice panel.

There’s one major problem facing bungling Biden’s prospects, though: he might not be able to win confirmation for the pick.

So much of influence in Washington isn’t in the press conferences or performative turns on cable news.

The real power comes from mastering the process by which it is transferred, accumulated and defended. And, when it comes to managing a generational shift of power in America’s judicial system, no one has proven more adept than Mitch McConnell.

https://time.com/6142711/joe-biden-supreme-court-nominee-mitch-mcconnell-stephen-breyer/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,183 Times in 13,933 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

News Flash for "copy and paste," they don't need Republicans, and thanks to Mitch's precedents, it can all be completed in thirty days, did you think Manchin was going to oppose Biden's nominee especially considering it is going to be a Black women?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Althea (01-26-2022), AProudLefty (01-27-2022), Guno צְבִי (01-26-2022), Phantasmal (01-26-2022)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,012 Times in 6,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

Althea (01-26-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anchovies View Post
    News Flash for "copy and paste," they don't need Republicans, and thanks to Mitch's precedents, it can all be completed in thirty days, did you think Manchin was going to oppose Biden's nominee especially considering it is going to be a Black women?
    I didn't write the article, Anchovies.

Maybe you should check the link.

Poor Anchovies.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Now, back to the topic:

The nuclear option can go into motion only if the Judiciary Committee reports the nomination to the floor, a procedural move that says whether a majority on the committee recommends the full Senate consider the pick.

Well, in a little-noticed backroom deal that took more than a month to hammer out, McConnell and Schumer agreed to a power-sharing plan in February that splits committee membership, staffs and budgets in half.

Why does this matter?

If all 11 Republican members of the Judiciary Committee oppose bungling Biden’s prejudicial pick and all 11 DEMOCRATS back her, the nomination goes inert. (A pretty safe bet in a committee where at least half of the Republican members have White House ambitions of their own.)

The nomination doesn’t die, but it does get parked until a lawmaker—historically, the Leader of the party—brings it to the floor for four hours of debate.

A majority of the Senate—51 votes, typically—can then put debate about the issue on the calendar for the next day.

But that’s the last easy part.

When the potential pick comes to the floor again, it’s not as a nomination.

At that point, it’s a motion to discharge, a cloture motion that requires 60 votes.

In other words, 10 Republicans would have to resurrect the nomination of someone already blocked in the Judiciary Committee.

https://time.com/6142711/joe-biden-supreme-court-nominee-mitch-mcconnell-stephen-breyer/

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,095 Times in 12,622 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,439 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Now, back to the topic:

The nuclear option can go into motion only if the Judiciary Committee reports the nomination to the floor, a procedural move that says whether a majority on the committee recommends the full Senate consider the pick.

Well, in a little-noticed backroom deal that took more than a month to hammer out, McConnell and Schumer agreed to a power-sharing plan in February that splits committee membership, staffs and budgets in half.

Why does this matter?

If all 11 Republican members of the Judiciary Committee oppose bungling Biden’s prejudicial pick and all 11 DEMOCRATS back her, the nomination goes inert. (A pretty safe bet in a committee where at least half of the Republican members have White House ambitions of their own.)

The nomination doesn’t die, but it does get parked until a lawmaker—historically, the Leader of the party—brings it to the floor for four hours of debate.

A majority of the Senate—51 votes, typically—can then put debate about the issue on the calendar for the next day.

But that’s the last easy part.

When the potential pick comes to the floor again, it’s not as a nomination.

At that point, it’s a motion to discharge, a cloture motion that requires 60 votes.

In other words, 10 Republicans would have to resurrect the nomination of someone already blocked in the Judiciary Committee.

The WOKE dont believe in rules, they'll do as they like.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Given this is an election year and Republicans have historically shown they’re not willing to give DEMOCRATS any wins on the Supreme Court in such a politically charged environment, there’s a good chance that bungling Biden’s racial-and gender based nominee spends her summer waiting for invites that never come from GOP lawmakers.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

The first reaction by the GOP to a Supreme Court opening is 'how can we block it'. Says all you need to know about the party, and the losers like Legion that support it. Maybe you should wait until someone is named before you start figuring out how you can fuck with government again.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-27-2022), Guno צְבִי (01-26-2022)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    The first reaction by the GOP to a Supreme Court opening is 'how can we block it'. Maybe you should wait until someone is named.
    No.

Bungling Biden stupidly limited his options by preemptively promising that any Supreme Court nominee he might pick would only be a black woman.

He disqualified hundreds of jurists for no reason other than their race and gender.

This is not equal justice under the law.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The D's are once again the party of racism.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Matt Dillon (01-27-2022)

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    The D's are once again the party of racism.
    And sexism.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    And sexism.
    Did you delete your thread on Breyer having apparently not announced that he is leaving?

I might be blind, I tend to be....but this seems to be correct so I was looking for it.

https://redstate.com/sister-toldjah/...s-leak-n512968

DARK AGES SUCK!

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Did you delete your thread on Breyer having apparently not announced that he is leaving?
    https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...tired-quot-Him

No, but I'm surprised that Rana didn't "merge" it with another thread from days ago in an effort to hide it.

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    all Biden needs to do is get the votes.......given his track record, is it likely?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Earl (01-27-2022)

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    all Biden needs to do is get the votes.......given his track record, is it likely?......
    Maybe his handlers are trying to figure out a way to harvest mail-in ballots in the Senate.