Thread: Donald Trump asks his cultists for money — again and again and again and again

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,367 Times in 6,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

Default Donald Trump asks his cultists for money — again and again and again and again

Just think of all the dumb TrumpTards that Trump is scamming out of their hard-earned money. Trump must wake up laughing at all his minions who send him money, thinking "this is the easiest grift I've ever done. I send out emails and checks keep pouring in".

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...gain-and-again

"Donald Trump asks me for money — again and again and again and again"

For more than two months, Trump organizations have sent me repeated pleas for donations — sometimes as many as four emails in one day

BY MICHAEL SMOLENS COLUMNIST
    JAN. 23, 2022 5 AM PT
    Donald Trump is counting on me. He told me so.

“Michael, I need your help,” the former president said in an email on Wednesday.

His people stressed how important I am to him.

“When President Trump considers all of his Top Patriots, he thinks of YOU, Michael. YOU have been his #1 supporter from the beginning, and we want you to know it has not gone unnoticed,” said a subsequent email on Wednesday.
    A day earlier, however, they let me know Trump wasn’t very happy with me.

“We just received the below email from President Trump. He’s disappointed that you weren’t on the first list of entries to win lunch with him in FLORIDA,” they wrote on Tuesday.

From Trump’s purported email: “Why haven’t my top supporters contributed to win a trip to meet me in Florida? I really want them there with me as my VIP guest.”

Yes, somehow I ended up on Trump fundraising email lists. For the record, I am not a supporter nor one of his Top Patriots and, if anyone cares, I am a “No Party Preference” registered voter. I have not been in contact with any of the Trump organizations or responded to any of their missives. They certainly know how to get in touch with me, though.

Between Nov. 9 and Friday, I’ve received 74 emails from Trump organizations. That’s an average of about one a day. Often, two have arrived on one day, occasionally three — and, at least a couple times, four in one day. They are not repeats; each email is different.

The string actually started before then, but I deleted I don’t know how many before realizing something bizarre was going on.

Fundraising through massive email campaigns is common. So are the generic messages tailored to include the recipient’s name. But the volume in this case is stunning.

The vast majority come from Trump’s Save America committee. A relative few are from the Republican National Committee, but the messages and tone are similar.

I receive plenty of emailed news releases, requests to join something and contribution come-ons from all sorts of political groups — Democratic, Republican and others. But they almost always come to my work email. These are addressed to my personal email. There’s no sign in the emails that the committees know what I do for a living.

This firsthand look at Trump’s relentless fundraising tactics raises the question, even concern, of how a less-detached person might react to being inundated with so many emails for so long. The pressure on an actual Trump supporter to contribute would seem great.

For a contribution of any size, the emails promise all sorts of benefits: first dibs on new Trump paraphernalia, exclusive memberships, a Trump Card and more. Perhaps most of all, they offer a sense of being special by officially joining Team Trump.

Meanwhile, the emails insinuate that Trump knows if you haven’t ponied up.

It’s unclear how much Trump has raised to date because his committees only need to report their financial status to the Federal Elections Commission twice a year. But his reputation as a prolific fundraiser seems secure. At the end of July, his various operations had $100 million on hand, according to news reports.

The Washington Post in October said he had been consistently raising more than $1 million per week — sometimes nearly $2 million. This was done through emails, text messages, events and advertisements. Because these aren’t technically campaign committees, they face looser restrictions.

The year-end report should become public at end of this month and it will be no surprise if the totals are eye-popping. What Trump has and will be spending the money on also is unclear, though there’s obvious potential to use it to be a factor in this year’s midterm elections and to assist a presidential run in 2024.

There was a fair amount of commentary and criticism last year noting that Trump didn’t use his political funds to help finance the various election audits, ballot reviews and recounts that he encouraged of his 2020 election loss to Joe Biden. He still maintains, with zero proof, the election was stolen from him.

Election fraud is a regular theme in the emails I’ve received.
    But such matters are secondary to raising money.

On Dec. 20, an email landed with the subject line “Trump Christmas store.”

“For a short time, when you make a contribution of $75, we’ll send you one of our ICONIC Trump Save America Christmas Ornaments FOR FREE,” it said.

For free.

In a similar vein, I was told in a Jan. 18 email that Trump is “proud to let you know that you’ve been identified as a Trump MVP.

“All you have to do is make a contribution of ANY AMOUNT and you’ll automatically reach MVP status and become an Official 2022 Trump MVP.”

The emails attempt to flatter, cajole and intimidate. (“I’ve been told you haven’t stepped up.” “We have an opportunity you can’t refuse.” “What happened? Is your email working?”)

The big prize is a meeting with the man himself (and a photo) at Mar-a-Lago on Feb. 11. That offer carried some fine print familiar to so many sweepstakes.

“NO PURCHASE, PAYMENT, CONTRIBUTION, OR TEXT MESSAGE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.** Contributing or sending a text message will not improve your chances of winning.”

Several emails urged me to act now because time is running out. Stated deadlines have come and gone, repeatedly. There have been multiple “last opportunity” and “last chance” offers.

In December, Trump warned me three times: “This is my last email.”
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,340 Times in 8,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Wasn't trump supposed to be so rich that he would fund his campaign on his own... Then he needs huge amounts of campaign funds to fund himself?