Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruling: Alabama Republicans Violate Black Voters' Rights

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,001 Times in 8,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    according to one article I read, the current districts were established by a federal court in 1992 and one is 67% black......it was unchanged in 2001 and 2011......the state legislature made no changes this year.......
    That is simply untrue, and not possibly true. Districts need to be redrawn as populations move. If they stayed the same for 30+ years, they would become uneven.

There have been two redistrictings since 1992, with another proposed one being worked out for the next election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabam...onal_districts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-26-2022)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    That is simply untrue, and not possibly true. Districts need to be redrawn as populations move. If they stayed the same for 30+ years, they would become uneven.

There have been two redistrictings since 1992, with another proposed one being worked out for the next election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabam...onal_districts
    looks pretty much the same since 92....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabam...ict_boundaries
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default How Republicans Are Planning The Big 22 Steal

Hello Concart,

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    What's even more frightening is what's happening in Georgia. Republicans can now change the makeup of election boards, and the first thing they did was get rid of the Democratic members of the Fulton county board (Atlanta). It is not about voter suppression, its about voter disenfranchisement. You can vote, but we aren't going to count it. It's absolutely frightening. Believers in the big lie are being installed all over the country. Had they been in place in 2020 they would have overturned the results of a free and fair election. They are GOING to do that in 2024, and they are going to install Donald Trump as the dictator of the country. And once he is installed, he will never relinquish the office This isn't hyperbole. This is playing out right now and everyone is looking the other way. We are about to lose our democracy unless good people stop it from happening. BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. Protecting the filibuster is meaningless if democracy is dead.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/geo...ds-2021-12-09/
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...local-n1275571

If we continue down the present path and do not pass legislation to prevent this, it WILL happen. And our free and fair elections WILL be a thing of the past. Why this isn't the most important topic for both parties in Washington is beyond me. It's appalling.
    This is truly frightening. I agree. Voter suppression pales in comparison to this.

Everybody who truly believes in fair elections should read every word of your two links.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,540 Times in 9,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    U.S. court rejects Alabama redistricting as violating Black voting rights

"Jan 24 (Reuters) - A U.S. court rejected on Monday the Alabama legislature's redrawn U.S. congressional district map for November elections, saying it likely violated the Voting Rights Act and stood to deny Black voters an additional representative.

The ruling, which can be appealed, addresses an issue of contention between the two major political parties, in which Democrats accuse Republicans of exploiting their relative strength in state legislatures to diminish Black voting power.

U.S. states must redraw congressional lines once a decade to reflect shifts in population. In most states, lawmakers control redistricting, which can lead to one party manipulating district lines to entrench its power.

In Alabama, African Americans make up 27% of the population, but ethnic minorities have a majority of voters in only one of the state's seven congressional districts. That district, concentrated around the city of Birmingham, is held by the Democratic Party and the other six by Republicans."

1 district out of 7 gives blacks representation which equates to 14% of the population, despite the reality that they are 27% of the population of Alabama.

Shame on you, racist Alabama Republicans.

Wassa mattah? Having a 5-2 majority of districts isn't enough?

It is so time for those federal voter rights bills to be made law.
    Link to any blacks that "cant" vote in Bama?

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If Republicans fight fair and pursue their vision of good policy, Republicans lose.

That is why Republicans fight dirty.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    If Republicans fight fair and pursue their vision of good policy, Republicans lose.

That is why Republicans fight dirty.
    Link to any blacks that "cant" vote in Bama?

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thats right, u cant link!!! All blacks have the right to vote just like I do!

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Republicans are the party of No. No immigrants, no choice, no building back better, no voting rights.

Woke Americans in the know, know better than to support the party of no progress and no vision.