Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, saltydancin, OG Yurt, serenity, Yakuda, ParachuteAdams and lichlord

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 key turning points in Western history

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    The invention of toilet paper changed everything!
    Corn cobs weren't available?
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    --->Didn't really answer the Question of 'Immigration in the Age of Automation'.
    Here is my personal experience with immigrants: my father and my aunt did jobs Americans and Canadians couldn't or wouldn't do.

If you are asking if immigrants are to blame for America losing it's textile industry, no I don't think so. I think the culprit is capitalists and outsourcing to Vietnam and Bangladesh.

To answer your next question, no I do not believe in unregulated and unlimited immigration.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Here is my personal experience with immigrants: my father and my aunt did jobs Americans and Canadians couldn't or wouldn't do.

If you are asking if immigrants are to blame for America losing it's textile industry, no I don't think so. I think the culprit is capitalists and outsourcing to Vietnam and Bangladesh.

To answer your next question, no I do not believe in unregulated and unlimited immigration.
    (sigh) 'OwlTwerking' comes to mind.
    Let me try again. In the 'Age of Automation', where people are losing Human Jobs to Machines, do YOU think that MORE PEOPLE is an answer to LESS JOBS.

(this has nothing to do with 'Textile Industries' or 'Immigrants are Nice People')

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    (sigh) 'OwlTwerking' comes to mind.
    Let me try again. In the 'Age of Automation', where people are losing Human Jobs to Machines, do YOU think that MORE PEOPLE is an answer to LESS JOBS.

(this has nothing to do with 'Textile Industries' or 'Immigrants are Nice People')
    I think more people are needed to keep paying for your social security benefits.

The American fertility rate is only about 1.9 kids for every couple. That is negative growth, without immigration.

That worker to retiree ratio would become unsustainable if we want to keep paying you your full SS benefits.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Jack (01-24-2022)

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think more people are needed to keep paying for your social security benefits.

The American fertility rate is only about 1.9 kids for every couple. That is negative growth, without immigration.

That worker to retiree ratio would become unsustainable if we want to keep paying you your full SS benefits.
    Yes. That is the Government argument for MORE PEOPLE.
    Of course, you could lift the $142,800 cap on Earnings.

"Nine million earners out of 169 million workers earned wages and salaries over the Social Security taxable cap, 4027 people earned over $10 million in 2019 - $2,397 every hour; they will have fully paid their Social Security tax by the time they start work Monday, January 4, the first working day of 2021."
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/teresag...h=283c59267ea9

I gather I'm not going to get an Answer that involves 'Automation Taking Human Jobs' and 'Immigration adding More People to the Workforce'. I'll stop trying.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

By #2 you meant "conversion", right?

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,616 Times in 51,912 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

According to Kenneth Harl, professor of history @ Tulane University, these are the four most important turning points in the history of western civilization:

1) Emergence of self-government (5th century BCE Greece).

2) Conversation of Europe to Christianity.

3) Discovery of the New World.

4) Industrial revolution.
    Good turning points although those points can be argued against others such as the Roman Empire, the Holy Roman Empire and Moors.

Coincidentally, I've been watching "History's Turning Points" I and II. Each are about an hour episode with 2-3 episodes per Netflix DVD. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446624/

Watched the Spanish Armada and Rise of the Mob today. The whole Spanish vs. England/Catholics vs Protestants thing was every interesting as was the enormous amount of back luck* suffered by the Spanish along with the plucky git'r'done attitude of the Brits.

There were no saints. Elizabeth was a murderous bitch and Phillip II sent 400 priests from the Spanish Inquisition to forcibly convert the Brits.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (01-25-2022)

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My guess is Professor Harl left it off his list, because he was highlighting truly transformational turning points in western history.

In a sense, Locke, Hobbes, and the French philosophes were just resurrecting ground which had already been covered before by the Greeks: political rights, political theory, and the nature of the rights of the citizen.

Also, the Enlightenment was just one in a long line of intellectual traditions: Humanism, Enlightenment, Romanticism, Transcendentalism, Existentialism. In that sense, it wasn't really a turning point, it was another cog in the wheel, another link in the chain.

I would say the French Revolution was transformational, but I wouldn't rank it up there with the industrial revolution, or the discovery of the Americas.
    Agreed. OTOH, the shot heard around the world changed the course of world events as much as the conversion to Christianity because it became a bastion of democracy and an end to monarchy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (01-25-2022)

12. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

As to technological advances, I would rank invention of the printing press as the most important technical advance, hands down, which profoundly changed western politics and culture.
    What about the development of capitalism? Pretty profound difference for multitudes of lives.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (01-25-2022)

14. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Good turning points although those points can be argued against others such as the Roman Empire, the Holy Roman Empire and Moors.

Coincidentally, I've been watching "History's Turning Points" I and II. Each are about an hour episode with 2-3 episodes per Netflix DVD. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446624/

Watched the Spanish Armada and Rise of the Mob today. The whole Spanish vs. England/Catholics vs Protestants thing was every interesting as was the enormous amount of back luck* suffered by the Spanish along with the plucky git'r'done attitude of the Brits.

There were no saints. Elizabeth was a murderous bitch and Phillip II sent 400 priests from the Spanish Inquisition to forcibly convert the Brits.
    good stuff

I recently heard a historian say that the English victory over the Armada was not as miraculous later legend would imply.

The British had better ships, better crews, better tactics, and better cannons from the outset.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-25-2022)

16. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Cypress,

What about the development of capitalism? Pretty profound difference for multitudes of lives.
    I have think you are right. I would conflate capitalism with the industrial revolution, per the list professor Harl outlined in the OP

17. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

I have think you are right. I would conflate capitalism with the industrial revolution, per the list professor Harl outlined in the OP
    Capitalism not only preceded the industrial revolution, it was a contributory factor. Capitalism made the industrial revolution possible.

Prior to capitalism, few people had any money. The development of a market economy set the stage for the mass production of products to sell in that economy.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (01-25-2022)

19. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Cypress,

Capitalism not only preceded the industrial revolution, it was a contributory factor. Capitalism made the industrial revolution possible.

Prior to capitalism, few people had any money. The development of a market economy set the stage for the mass production of products to sell in that economy.
    Good point.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-25-2022)

21. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

good stuff

I recently heard a historian say that the English victory over the Armada was not as miraculous later legend would imply.

The British had better ships, better crews, better tactics, and better cannons from the outset.
    IMO better strategy and tactics made the difference, plus luck.

Was the Spanish Armada sailing into a winter storm bad luck or should they have known it was a dicey season to start a war?

The Spanish had large heavy ships loaded with naval infantry (Marines). They'd grapple along side and board enemy ships. The Brits had smaller, lighter and more maneuverable ships and favored long range cannon attacks.

The Armada, grouped together was impossible to conquer due to size and numbers. The Brits lit up fire ships; a ship loaded with gun powder, lit on fire and allowed to drift by winds and/or current into the Armada where the fire ships would blow up and light several Spanish ships ablaze. The Spanish captains broke formation and fled with their individual ships. This allowed the Brits to attack individual ships piece meal and led to Battle of Gravelines (1588).
    Battle of Gravelines – 8 August
    There followed an immense naval battle off Gravelines, during which the Spanish fleet were bombarded by the long-range English guns. In rough seas it lasted for nine hours, with great damage being done to the Spanish fleet, which for most of the time were unable to return fire due to a lack of trained gunners.

About 1,000 Spaniards were killed and over 800 wounded. The battle ended in the afternoon when the English fleet ran out of ammunition.
    Overall, the Spaniards lost about 2/3s of their 130 ships and about 2/3s of their 30,000 sailors and soldiers. The Brits lost about 100 sailors in combat. Oddly, as the wiki link notes, they later lost up to 8000 from disease (mostly typhus). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada

Results count; Spain went home with their tail tucked between their legs and Britain rose to become a global power. Human society turned course.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (01-25-2022)

23. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    IMO better strategy and tactics made the difference, plus luck.

Was the Spanish Armada sailing into a winter storm bad luck or should they have known it was a dicey season to start a war?

The Spanish had large heavy ships loaded with naval infantry (Marines). They'd grapple along side and board enemy ships. The Brits had smaller, lighter and more maneuverable ships and favored long range cannon attacks.

The Armada, grouped together was impossible to conquer due to size and numbers. The Brits lit up fire ships; a ship loaded with gun powder, lit on fire and allowed to drift by winds and/or current into the Armada where the fire ships would blow up and light several Spanish ships ablaze. The Spanish captains broke formation and fled with their individual ships. This allowed the Brits to attack individual ships piece meal and led to Battle of Gravelines (1588).

Overall, the Spaniards lost about 2/3s of their 130 ships and about 2/3s of their 30,000 sailors and soldiers. The Brits lost about 100 sailors in combat. Oddly, as the wiki link notes, they later lost up to 8000 from disease (mostly typhus). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada

Results count; Spain went home with their tail tucked between their legs and Britain rose to become a global power. Human society turned course.
    One of the most remarkable elements of the story I recently heard is that the Spanish could not retreat back through the English Channel, so they had to head north to Scotland into the treacherous waters of the North Sea, then down into the North Atlantic around past Ireland, before making it back to Spain.

Supposedly, more Spanish ships were lost on this ill fated attempt to get back to Spain, than were lost in the battle itself.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-25-2022)