Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Families of US Embassy personnel in Ukraine ordered to begin evacuating Monday

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,031 Times in 8,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    PSAKI: And we’ve said from the beginning that there are certain proposals that will not be viable.
    We absolutely cannot rule out NATO expansion. I agree strongly with Biden's strong stance here.

Unfortunately, we can also not expand to Ukraine. They are already invaded partially by Russia, so allowing them to be members right now would mean we would be at war with Russia. We could get Finland and Sweden as members, but not Ukraine.

That leaves us in the in-between position of not accepting Ukraine as a member, but also not rejecting them. It is not a good position, but it is the best position available to us at the moment. Thankfully, trump is not in office to take a worse position.

What we must concentrate on is making Ukraine indigestible to Putin. Putin can invade Ukraine, but it will cost him a lot to try to hold it. Hopefully, he will be convinced to backdown because of that. Either way, I see no benefit to us keeping a lot of civilians in Ukraine.

As a side note, it is difficult to not put "the" in front of Ukraine, but I am trying to train myself to do it. "The Ukraine" is a region, where Ukraine is an independent country.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-22-2022)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    We absolutely cannot rule out NATO expansion. I agree strongly with Biden's strong stance here.

Unfortunately, we can also not expand to Ukraine. They are already invaded partially by Russia, so allowing them to be members right now would mean we would be at war with Russia. We could get Finland and Sweden as members, but not Ukraine.

That leaves us in the in-between position of not accepting Ukraine as a member, but also not rejecting them. It is not a good position, but it is the best position available to us at the moment. Thankfully, trump is not in office to take a worse position.

What we must concentrate on is making Ukraine indigestible to Putin. Putin can invade Ukraine, but it will cost him a lot to try to hold it. Hopefully, he will be convinced to backdown because of that. Either way, I see no benefit to us keeping a lot of civilians in Ukraine.

As a side note, it is difficult to not put "the" in front of Ukraine, but I am trying to train myself to do it. "The Ukraine" is a region, where Ukraine is an independent country.
    Thanks for your input.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Taiwan is Toast, get over it.
    They have been saying that for decades now. Still has not happened.

We were all hoping that the end of the Cold War would mean the world would no longer be on the edge of collapse. Instead, we have found how many smaller conflicts around the world could destroy the world. This is a time for careful nuance... You know the stuff trump is incapable of.

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,940 Times in 13,201 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller (ret) said on Tucker that every General above One Star should go immediately, and most of the One Stars too, if we want to fix our military....they cant be saved....they cant help.

Go to war with Russian which has China supporting them only of you are an idiot...the Russians are consistently way better than Western Intel has claimed.
    That will happen about six months into a major war, if we last that long this time around...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Hawkeye10 (01-22-2022)

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Go to war with Russian which has China supporting them only of you are an idiot...the Russians are consistently way better than Western Intel has claimed.
    Russia and China are often close to war. They might support each other, but that is far from certain. I doubt very much that China would give more than vague diplomatic support for an invasion of Ukraine, and probably not even that.

No one wants war with Russia. Clearly, they could invade Ukraine completely, and we would not go to war with them. We do have to go to war with them if they invade a NATO nation. This is not something we want to have happen, but sometimes war is unavoidable.

After the collapse of the USSR, we found out that it was much less prepared for war than we were told. So, you are wrong about that.

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This might go a lot like Israel in Lebanon 2006.
    If this happens, it will be much, much worse than Israel in Lebanon, but not for us. If Russia invade Ukraine, they are stuck with a huge country that does not want them occupying their country. And they will be cutoff from the West. We on the other hand, will not be directly involved.

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The worse is if we go to war and fuck it up, get our asses kicked by Russia, who we have mocked and demeaned for over 20 years.

This might go a lot like Israel in Lebanon 2006.
    That won't be the case. Russia has no ability to project power anywhere beyond their borders over about 300 to 500 miles using a land route. That's about as far as a land-based army can advance before having to stop and wait for the supply and command system to catch up. The only way Russia could slam the US is to use ICBM's and that means a nuclear holocaust I doubt any nation is willing to start.
    So, the likely outcome in Ukraine is the Russians invade, and Ukraine falls. The US and NATO protest loudly and slap meaningless sanctions on Russia.

China seeing this, green lights a Taiwan invasion and the US is left helpless to respond.

Biden is a complete fuck up on foreign policy. It has consistently been a weakness of his for his entire time in politics. I'd say it's because he's a mediocre, below average, intellect. He's the sort of jackass that copies the smart kid's homework after bullying them and thinks he's really just being clever...

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    No, my position is that this is an indication that Biden's negotiations with Russia are a failure and we are on the brink of a potential WW 3 with Russia. That this situation is occurring, is in good part due to Biden being a totally weak fuck up on foreign policy.
    Uh, yeah. Sure. Biden threatening 'Sanctions' will trigger WW3.

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Uh, yeah. Sure. Biden threatening 'Sanctions' will trigger WW3.
    You sure are dense. Biden threatening sanctions is meaningless here. He has no credibility and we can see that clearly in Blinken's meetings with Russia's diplomats. They brushed him off like a case of dandruff.

Biden has made the wrong call on every major foreign policy issue the US has faced since the day he first took office. Why should he suddenly change? He will fuck this up too and it might be very costly if the adults don't do something before that happens. Biden isn't included in that group.

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

You sure are dense. Biden threatening sanctions is meaningless here. He has no credibility and we can see that clearly in Blinken's meetings with Russia's diplomats. They brushed him off like a case of dandruff.

Biden has made the wrong call on every major foreign policy issue the US has faced since the day he first took office. Why should he suddenly change? He will fuck this up too and it might be very costly if the adults don't do something before that happens. Biden isn't included in that group.

That didn't take long. If 'Sanctions are meaningless', then WW3 won't be starting will it?

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,031 Times in 12,561 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

That won't be the case. Russia has no ability to project power anywhere beyond their borders over about 300 to 500 miles using a land route. That's about as far as a land-based army can advance before having to stop and wait for the supply and command system to catch up. The only way Russia could slam the US is to use ICBM's and that means a nuclear holocaust I doubt any nation is willing to start.
    So, the likely outcome in Ukraine is the Russians invade, and Ukraine falls. The US and NATO protest loudly and slap meaningless sanctions on Russia.

China seeing this, green lights a Taiwan invasion and the US is left helpless to respond.

Biden is a complete fuck up on foreign policy. It has consistently been a weakness of his for his entire time in politics. I'd say it's because he's a mediocre, below average, intellect. He's the sort of jackass that copies the smart kid's homework after bullying them and thinks he's really just being clever...
    "There is no way the Russians have the capacity to go to Syria" do you remember that?

Which was believed right up till the time that forces were in the air.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Grokmaster (01-26-2022)

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,626 Times in 10,690 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

"There is no way the Russians have the capacity to go to Syria" do you remember that?

Which was believed right up till the time that forces were in the air.
    That was more DUNCE-O-CRAT FOREIGN POLICY IDIOCY....
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,031 Times in 12,561 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    That was more DUNCE-O-CRAT FOREIGN POLICY IDIOCY....
    That was blowing through hundreds of billions of dollars a year and coming away with no fucking clue what reality looks like....AGAIN.

Buckle Up...America is going down.....HARD.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

18. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish View Post
    JD Vance,"Call me crazy but if trump ordered ground troops to protect a country that paid his family millions in illegal cash, I bet the media would be covering it differently."
    So a short sentence with so many lies. Biden's son was not paid millions in illegal cash. He was paid to get Burisma able to pass western style financial compliance. He did that job. President Biden is not sending any troops to Ukraine. He has made clear that he will not defend Ukraine. Biden is making plans to defend NATO nations with land troops. That has already been agreed to, because they are part of NATO, but Biden is making the actual plans to do it. NATO nations have paid Biden's son nothing.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."