Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This one is too funny to be believed even for Florida;

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,295 Times in 10,342 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,667 Times in 2,486 Posts

Default This one is too funny to be believed even for Florida;

"Florida bill aims to shield whites from ‘discomfort’ of nation’s racist past"

"A bill pushed by Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that would prohibit public schools and private businesses from making white people feel discomfort when they teach students or train employees about discrimination in the nation’s past received its first approval Tuesday."

"Democrats argued the bill isn’t needed, would lead to frivolous lawsuits and said it would amount to censorship in schools. They asked, without success, for real-life examples of teachers or businesses telling students or employees that they are racist because of their race."

"The bill reads, “An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race.”

"The bill is called “Individual Freedom.”

https://www.14news.com/2022/01/19/fl...t-racist-past/

Got to love the "Individual Freedom" bit, the right sure loves throwing around the word "freedom," they've managed to turn an abstract concept into a bumper sticker cliché

You'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to see DeSantis blowing the dog whistles here, echoing the same CRT crap over and over again. I never knew that white people felt uncomfortable over events occurring in our nation's history, least not to the extent that they needed a law banning making them feel uncomfortable

Beautiful

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-20-2022), christiefan915 (01-20-2022), Darla (01-20-2022), guno (01-20-2022), PoliTalker (01-21-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,919 Times in 12,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,737 Posts

It's too ambiguous. Students could just say they feel uncomfortable with attending history classes and they'd be exempt.
    Black Cat Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    No. Disney does not account for that much of the tourism here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The right of citizens to have arms is essential to a community being able to form a militia.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Elon knows pissing off half of your customers is a bad business model.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Dutch Uncle (01-21-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,919 Times in 12,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,737 Posts

This reminds me of a biology class I had in the last 80's. When we got to a chapter on evolution, he explained to us how controversial the subject was (this was during the time of Moral Majority) and that it would be too uncomfortable for us. So we skipped it.
    Black Cat Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    No. Disney does not account for that much of the tourism here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The right of citizens to have arms is essential to a community being able to form a militia.

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Elon knows pissing off half of your customers is a bad business model.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 18 Times in 16 Posts

I posted this yesterday and they all had a meltdown, some screaming 'IT'S NOT A SNOWFLAKE LAW IT'S THE FREEDOM LAW!"

It entertained me for a while.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

guno (01-20-2022), PoliTalker (01-21-2022)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,295 Times in 10,342 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,667 Times in 2,486 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I posted this yesterday and they all had a meltdown, some screaming 'IT'S NOT A SNOWFLAKE LAW IT'S THE FREEDOM LAW!"

That's the one that cracks me up, "THE FREEDOM LAW," any time any politician or demogogue on the right wants to get attention or support they start throwing around the word "freedom." I have seen it used in everything from packing anywhere you want to not being able to attend the buffet at the Golden Corral. As I've noted, they have reduced an abstract concept into a bumper sticker cliché

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Darla (01-20-2022), guno (01-20-2022)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,370 Times in 8,904 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,261 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

"A bill pushed by Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that would prohibit public schools and private businesses from making white people feel discomfort when they teach students or train employees about discrimination in the nation’s past received its first approval Tuesday."

"Democrats argued the bill isn’t needed, would lead to frivolous lawsuits and said it would amount to censorship in schools. They asked, without success, for real-life examples of teachers or businesses telling students or employees that they are racist because of their race."

"The bill reads, “An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race.”

Got to love the "Individual Freedom" bit, the right sure loves throwing around the word "freedom," they've managed to turn an abstract concept into a bumper sticker cliché

You'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to see DeSantis blowing the dog whistles here, echoing the same CRT crap over and over again. I never knew that white people felt uncomfortable over events occurring in our nation's history, least not to the extent that they needed a law banning making them feel uncomfortable

Beautiful
    Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein

America's future is bright, not white

ברוך השם

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,760 Times in 5,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,906 Times in 1,761 Posts

Think about this, the alt right says there should be "no safe place" for liberals, but then says that even private businesses should not be allowed to say facts that make the alt right feel uncomfortable.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,908 Times in 15,360 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,900 Times in 1,811 Posts

An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race.”

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,505 Times in 10,928 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 985 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race.”
    Every person deserves an equal opportunity for success... Shouldn't each person be treated as an individual instead of stereotyping them?... How anyone finds the ideas in this bill "controversial" is somewhat surprising....and incredibly sad....

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,710 Times in 30,144 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,292 Times in 2,249 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    It's too ambiguous. Students could just say they feel uncomfortable with attending history classes and they'd be exempt.
    Exactly. The result is even dumber Cultists.....as if that was possible.
    "know the truth, and the truth will set you free"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dutch Uncle For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-21-2022)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,710 Times in 30,144 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,292 Times in 2,249 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post

Nazis fear snowflakes.....and they should. Americans should feel justified in killing such despicable examples of humanity. There is no scum lower than Nazi scum. Bottom of the bucket.

"know the truth, and the truth will set you free"

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,474 Times in 12,020 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,682 Times in 4,954 Posts
    Blog Entries

Beautiful
    Bizarre with a capitol R.

And this from "no-rules" Florida?

SMH

If Republicans could only see themselves through non-Republican eyes.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-21-2022)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,997 Times in 7,552 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 799 Times in 741 Posts

Beautiful

"The bill reads, “An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.

Just what is your problem with that? Should Dims bear responsibility for actions committed in the past like Jim Crow laws etc...Should Robert KKK Byrd great great grandkids bear responsibility for his racist actions

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,036 Times in 36,289 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,261 Times in 4,002 Posts
    Blog Entries

Beautiful
    And here we've been told all along that it's the "woke" ppl who are sissified snowflakes who need safe spaces because of their fear of "microaggressions." Who knew it was the Reichwingers all along who are the whiny wimps?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- JFK (5/17/61)

21. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

Primavera (01-21-2022)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-21-2022)

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,036 Times in 36,289 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,261 Times in 4,002 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    "The bill reads, “An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.

Just what is your problem with that? Should Dims bear responsibility for actions committed in the past like Jim Crow laws etc...Should Robert KKK Byrd great great grandkids bear responsibility for his racist actions
    How odd that you believe that we can legislate feelings now. How long do you think it will be before we ban outrage, disgust, and shame?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- JFK (5/17/61)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-21-2022)