Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting approach to solving urban crime: Buckhead looking to leave Atlanta

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Interesting approach to solving urban crime: Buckhead looking to leave Atlanta

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-atla...de-11642687201

this could bring a whole new meaning to the term gated community !

ATLANTA—An increase in violent crime has spurred a movement in Atlanta’s wealthiest and whitest neighborhood, Buckhead, to push harder to secede and create a new city with its own police force. The idea, which has been gaining momentum over the past year, is raising alarm among Atlanta officials worried about a loss of population and tax revenue.The Republican-majority state legislature, which just opened its 2022 session, is taking up proposed legislation this month for a referendum on Buckhead cityhood. Politicians in largely Democratic Atlanta oppose the idea.
    Bill White, chief executive of the committee pushing Buckhead cityhood, said Atlanta hasn’t done enough to stem violence, car-thefts, drag-racing and other crimes that surged beginning in 2020, during the early stages of the pandemic and after civil unrest followed Black Lives Matter protests.

“They really don’t care about Buckhead,” Mr. White, said about city officials. “They just want the money.”
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Reminds me of 20 years ago when the San Fernando Valley had a ballot measure to break away from L.A. It ultimately failed.

I don't know enough one way or the other to state whether this is a good idea or not, but I definitely understand the frustration of living in an urban area with a lot of crime. On one hand you recognize crime comes with living in urban areas but everyone has their breaking point as to how much they are willing to tolerate. And if you feel its not being addressed I get the sentiment behind the move. But again, a lot comes with creating your own City so there is a lot to digest.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,969 Times in 14,556 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 949 Times in 933 Posts
    Blog Entries

Highland Park is a well to do town that is entirely surrounded by Dallas. It has a very well paid and effective police force. Its crime stats are a fraction of the stats of surrounding Dallas. I once drove around in Dallas for over a year without my car inspection. The first time I drove through Highland Park I was stopped and ticked. The Highland Park PD is very effective in keeping crime out of HP.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

Celticguy (01-20-2022), Lionfish (01-20-2022)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,956 Times in 10,497 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 573 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries

I hope they are successful. Many communities are encouraging their local police force to take a much more "active role" in discouraging riff-raff from committing crimes in their neighborhoods. I live in one that was somewhat off limits to thugs until a couple of weeks ago a young woman was carjacked and beaten in broad daylight in the parking lot of a local supermarket. Citizens intervened but it took a private citizen with a gun to convince the three tough guys that they might want to depart the scene which they promptly decided was a wise decision. The local police force was so active in catching those little miscreants that they caught all of them in a city miles away. The little bastards are lucky to be alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Dutch View Post
    Agreed. Shooting angry Trumpers should be a national pastime.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Only conclusion. Going to a Christian school causes you to be a mass murderer.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Reminds me of 20 years ago when the San Fernando Valley had a ballot measure to break away from L.A. It ultimately failed.

I don't know enough one way or the other to state whether this is a good idea or not, but I definitely understand the frustration of living in an urban area with a lot of crime. On one hand you recognize crime comes with living in urban areas but everyone has their breaking point as to how much they are willing to tolerate. And if you feel its not being addressed I get the sentiment behind the move. But again, a lot comes with creating your own City so there is a lot to digest.
    Buckhead was allowed to BECOME Buckhead years ago because Atlanta recognized that it was a boon to the tax base (ditto Underground Atlanta). But Atlanta has since dropped the heavy handed police presence (thanks blm) so I absolutely get this. Buckhead is already spending a lot and getting nothing for it so I dont think thats a tripping point. What might be is putting that force field up around Buckhead to keep the criminal element out. One element that isnt mentioned is that there are a lot of professional athletes living there and they have a lot of undesirable visitors (drug dealers, hip hop people etc) so sorting that out will not be easy.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Buckhead was allowed to BECOME Buckhead years ago because Atlanta recognized that it was a boon to the tax base (ditto Underground Atlanta). But Atlanta has since dropped the heavy handed police presence (thanks blm) so I absolutely get this. Buckhead is already spending a lot and getting nothing for it so I dont think thats a tripping point. What might be is putting that force field up around Buckhead to keep the criminal element out. One element that isnt mentioned is that there are a lot of professional athletes living there and they have a lot of undesirable visitors (drug dealers, hip hop people etc) so sorting that out will not be easy.
    To my knowledge entertainers (including hip hop artists) have always lived in Buckhead. So if they are deemed 'undesirable' one wouldn't move to Buckhead to begin with.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

The criminal element ALREADY LIVES IN BUCKHEAD.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We have good friends who live in Suwanee which is about 50 minutes North (northeast?) of Buckhead and the guy is an ex-athlete. Lots of athletes (current and retired) live around them. Atlanta is popular in that regard. So having athletes in your neighborhood isn't a sign that drug dealers are coming to your community.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

To my knowledge entertainers (including hip hop artists) have always lived in Buckhead. So if they are deemed 'undesirable' one wouldn't move to Buckhead to begin with.
    yeah but there are relatively few of them in Atlanta.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We have good friends who live in Suwanee which is about 50 minutes North (northeast?) of Buckhead and the guy is an ex-athlete. Lots of athletes (current and retired) live around them. Atlanta is popular in that regard. So having athletes in your neighborhood isn't a sign that drug dealers are coming to your community.
    it is in Atlanta.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

If I am reading this correctly, it is basically an existing gated community, an entire concept I don’t understand, trying to start their own police force, which would be illegal in the State I reside and I’m guessing in the majority of other States

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anchovies View Post
    If I am reading this correctly, it is basically an existing gated community, an entire concept I don’t understand, trying to start their own police force, which would be illegal in the State I reside and I’m guessing in the majority of other States
    But you aren't reading it correctly, Anchovies.

From the OP: "An increase in violent crime has spurred a movement in Atlanta’s wealthiest and whitest neighborhood, Buckhead, to push harder to secede and create a new city with its own police force.

Poor Anchovies.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    You're missing a couple of things. It's not a gated community, it's a neighborhood within Atlanta of a 100K people (or 20% of the City's population). They want to secede from the City and created their own new City. By doing that they would be able to control their own police department (among other things).

Not a rhetorical question, you aren't familiar with Buckhead?

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    But you aren't reading it correctly, Anchovies.

From the OP: "An increase in violent crime has spurred a movement in Atlanta’s wealthiest and whitest neighborhood, Buckhead, to push harder to secede and create a new city with its own police force.

Poor Anchovies.
    So a suburb wants to succeed from the city it is a part of and form its own entity, which as I said is a lot more difficult schematically, legally and structurally than just deciding to exit

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're missing a couple of things. It's not a gated community, it's a neighborhood within Atlanta of a 100K people (or 20% of the City's population). They want to secede from the City and created their own new City. By doing that they would be able to control their own police department (among other things).

Not a rhetorical question, you aren't familiar with Buckhead?
    No, nor Atlanta or Georgia for that matter, spent four months there in the service and the only thing I remember was red clay and depressing, other than perhaps driving thru or stopping for a air connection, ain’t ever going back