Thread: GOP, Trump, now wants to Presidential debates

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,035 Times in 13,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Default GOP, Trump, now wants to Presidential debates

"Trump blows a hole in 2024 presidential debates"

"With last week’s Trump-inspired threat to boycott 2024 debates sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates, the Republican National Committee began priming the electorate for a race in which the GOP nominee might not debate at all. In its plan to amend party rules to prohibit future nominees from participating in commission-sponsored debates, the RNC is doing the work of an aggrieved former president"

“This is part of the Trumpified Republican Party’s war on institutions,” said Pete Giangreco, a strategist who has worked on nine presidential campaigns. “They don’t want every citizen to vote. They only want their voters to vote. They don’t want everybody’s vote counted. … And now they don’t want honest debates.”

"It’s a tactic straight out of the Trump playbook, similar to how the then-president worked for months before the 2020 election to sow distrust in the outcome by claiming without evidence that it would be rigged."

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...e-trump-527247

Can't blame him, Trump got his ass kicked in every Presidential debate he ever participated in, even by the guy who the right told us endlessly was "senile" and "too dumb" to run for office

But there is more to this than just possibly just skipping debates, it's orchestrated to shed doubt on debates in general. Trump's schtick doesn't play in debates, he can't just stand there and call people names, he has to actually discuss issues and provide evidence, something Donnie isn't very good at, he doesn't have full control of the situation.

So, pure Trump, he'd rather discredit debates, and have the whole campaign based on fifteen minute soundbites on right wing infotainment channels and social media where he can personally attack who ever he likes and spin innuendos and fabrications

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2022), Phantasmal (01-19-2022), PoliTalker (01-19-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

"With last week’s Trump-inspired threat to boycott 2024 debates sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates, the Republican National Committee began priming the electorate for a race in which the GOP nominee might not debate at all. In its plan to amend party rules to prohibit future nominees from participating in commission-sponsored debates, the RNC is doing the work of an aggrieved former president"

“This is part of the Trumpified Republican Party’s war on institutions,” said Pete Giangreco, a strategist who has worked on nine presidential campaigns. “They don’t want every citizen to vote. They only want their voters to vote. They don’t want everybody’s vote counted. … And now they don’t want honest debates.”

"It’s a tactic straight out of the Trump playbook, similar to how the then-president worked for months before the 2020 election to sow distrust in the outcome by claiming without evidence that it would be rigged."

Can't blame him, Trump got his ass kicked in every Presidential debate he ever participated in, even by the guy who the right told us endlessly was "senile" and "too dumb" to run for office

But there is more to this than just possibly just skipping debates, it's orchestrated to shed doubt on debates in general. Trump's schtick doesn't play in debates, he can't just stand there and call people names, he has to actually discuss issues and provide evidence, something Donnie isn't very good at, he doesn't have full control of the situation.

So, pure Trump, he'd rather discredit debates, and have the whole campaign based on fifteen minute soundbites on right wing infotainment channels and social media where he can personally attack who ever he likes and spin innuendos and fabrications

Trump's debate with Biden could have been an SNL sketch, unedited.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 18 Times in 16 Posts

I wonder how he's gonna get out of debating the Republican primary?

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2022), Joe Capitalist (01-19-2022), Phantasmal (01-19-2022), PoliTalker (01-19-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,613 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

hahahahahaha. you babies know the gig is up

from big tech censoring and hiding damaging news - to the debate mods aiding and abetting one party. no more. you fucks are fucked.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zymurgy For This Post:

Stone (01-18-2022)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    They're just not going to have them at all.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

The presidential debates are dreck.

Discussing important issues in 90 second sound bytes with everybody's mic live at once is every bit as absurd as it sounds.

The debates exist for very stupid people to see who they like the most,
    because the fucking idiots are voting for personalities instead of policy positions.

I don't believe in God,
    but I could be wrong
    because I don't know how else a nation as STUPID as ours
    could have survived this long without divine help.

The debates are, as I said, pure dreck. That I know for certain, just by having a three digtit IQ.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why do you think there would be debates in a GOP primary?

With Trump in total control of the GOP the last thing he wants to do is share a stage with someone like a Christie, there won't be any GOP primary debates, not unless Trump can hand pick the moderators and approve of the questions ahead of time

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-19-2022), PoliTalker (01-19-2022)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

They're such drama queens, aren't they?

It's always melodrama with Conservatives...everything is always the greatest offense ever until they calm down and change their Depends.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2022)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    hahahahahaha. you babies know the gig is up

from big tech censoring and hiding damaging news - to the debate mods aiding and abetting one party. no more. you fucks are fucked.
    What "gig?" Presidential debates are now a "gig?" Or, because Trump can't debate issues they are now a "gig?"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2022)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Trump should be in Levansworth by 2024!
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melchizedek = Michael For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2022), PoliTalker (01-19-2022)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    The presidential debates are dreck.

Discussing important issues in 90 second sound bytes with everybody's mic live at once is every bit as absurd as it sounds.

The debates exist for very stupid people to see who they like the most,
    because the fucking idiots are voting for personalities instead of policy positions.

I don't believe in God,
    but I could be wrong
    because I don't know how else a nation as STUPID as ours
    could have survived this long without divine help.

The debates are, as I said, pure dreck. That I know for certain, just by having a three digtit IQ.
    Well no debates is 24/7 infotainment propaganda put out by the candidates mostly centered upon innuendo

I agree they have come a long way since the first Nixon Kennedy debates, but, they do serve a purpose, at the very least they give the audience an idea if either candidate knows what he is talking about or if they are just bullshitting their way thru the election

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Darla (01-18-2022), Phantasmal (01-19-2022), PoliTalker (01-19-2022)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

GOP, Trump, now wants to Presidential debates

yawn

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello archives,

This comes as no surprise at all.

And besides. Nobody can debate from prison anyway.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Darla. I like what I see in your post history.

I'm here to talk about politics. I don't get into the interpersonal stuff. I have a large Ignore List by design to weed out the trash talkers. Amazingly, I find lots of posters here enjoy a refreshing polite conversation as a break from the usual trolling. I hope I can count you in that group. I'll always be polite, just looking for the same in return. If not, c'est la vie.

He won't have to talk issues there. He'll simply go into insult mode like last time.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello archives,

Why do they even bother calling it the Republican Party any more?

Everybody knows it's the Trump Party.