Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic party has turned its back on the working class

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "Bernie Sanders says Democrats are failing: ‘The party has turned its back on the working class’ "
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...lass-interview

"Senator Bernie Sanders has called on Democrats to make “a major course correction” that focuses on fighting for America’s working class and standing up to “powerful corporate interests” because the Democrats’ legislative agenda is stalled and their party faces tough prospects in this November’s elections."
    Shhhh! Don't listen to the crazy man from Vermont! He's probably too liquored up on boozy maple syrup.

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,454 Times in 9,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 867 Times in 825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    I actually did kill myself.
    I guess now we know that Wifi works pretty good 6 feet under as well. Better save your battery though. Gonna need it a longgggggggggggg time.

3. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 18 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This is totally off topic and feel free not to answer but if you are so inclined I'd be curious to your opinion (impetus for this was your liberal feminist comment - not that I didn't already know that of course...)

My 100 year old grandmother lives in Roanoke, VA so whenever I hear Roanoke mentioned my ears perk up. NPR had a story yesterday or today about a small all women's college in Roanoke called Hollins University. Think I heard them say its been around for over 150 years but don't quote me on that. The basis of the story was the attempt to change admissions to allow (please excuse me if I get this wrong) gender fluid and non-binary students into the school. It seemed there was some push back from the board. My impression was it could be a generational thing. One of the admissions officers was proud of the school's history of educating women and facing down the patriarchy and while they want an inclusive campus the school is for women. They interviewed current students who are gender fluid or non cis who want that changed.

1) curious if you have strong feelings one way or the other

and

2) my wife and I both went to co-ed schools and I never would have thought about single sex education. But now having a young daughter I'm more open to the idea of it (if I really like the school) so that's why this is also on the brain
    that's an interesting situation, I hadn't read about it.

My first instinct is to understand the admissions officer and where she is coming from. I have seen studies that show girls and young women do better in an all female classroom, because of ingrained misogyny and things like, the boys taking over and girls being less likely to raise their hands when they know the answer.

But I think you hit the nail on the head that it's a generational thing. And I do think we are moving towards a more gender-fluid world, which I definitely feel will benefit everyone. So I had to examine my own feelings for a few moments. Once I thought about it, I am fine with it.

4. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I guess now we know that Wifi works pretty good 6 feet under as well.
    Well, I do have the platinum plan.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Darla For This Post:

Stone (01-18-2022)

6. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

My first instinct is to understand the admissions officer and where she is coming from. I have seen studies that show girls and young women do better in an all female classroom, because of ingrained misogyny and things like, the boys taking over and girls being less likely to raise their hands when they know the answer.

But I think you hit the nail on the head that it's a generational thing. And I do think we are moving towards a more gender-fluid world, which I definitely feel will benefit everyone. So I had to examine my own feelings for a few moments. Once I thought about it, I am fine with it.
    Males in the classroom today have been trained from PreSchool that women rule and that men are toxic. .
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

7. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Males in the classroom today have been trained from PreSchool that women rule and that men are toxic. .
    Hawkeye, you've already done far too much for me today with your thoughts on the science of women, there was no need to gift me with this news on top of that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Darla For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-19-2022)

9. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Fwiw, here is the article. In hindsight, I have heard a story or two locally of kids at single sex schools transitioning. Can’t say I’ve spent much time thinking about this but it is interesting, what’s the point of having single gender schools if you allow those who identify with the opposite sex in? Seems the schools should just be co-Ed and then it doesn’t matter.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/10737...sions-policies

10. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Fwiw, here is the article. In hindsight, I have heard a story or two locally of kids at single sex schools transitioning. Can’t say I’ve spent much time thinking about this but it is interesting, what’s the point of having single gender schools if you allow those who identify with the opposite sex in? Seems the schools should just be co-Ed and then it doesn’t matter.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/10737...sions-policies
    Am I wrong that the only self-identified men allowed in, are those who transitioned after enrolling? I doubt that will be a common occurrence. It's interesting the article mentions a lot of women-only schools have closed, and those remaining are struggling with this question. It's likely a transition period, and I don't know how it's going to end.

11. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Am I wrong that the only self-identified men allowed in, are those who transitioned after enrolling? I doubt that will be a common occurrence. It's interesting the article mentions a lot of women-only schools have closed, and those remaining are struggling with this question. It's likely a transition period, and I don't know how it's going to end.
    Mills College in Oakland is a famous women's college that just announced they are closing in a year or two. Yeah, I think a number of women's colleges are struggling financially so from strictly an economic perspective it makes sense to allow gender fluid and non binary students in. I was also conflating Universities and then single gender K-12 schools because there are still a number of the latter. You ask a good question, this isn't something I really paid attention to until having a kid and now looking into schools and starting to hear about this more.

12. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hawkeye, you've already done far too much for me today with your thoughts on the science of women, there was no need to gift me with this news on top of that.
    True/Not True
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

13. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,543 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    In your case your wife supports you as she always had, in affect she wears the pants, stop whining about it. maybe if you acted like a man
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

14. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

cawacko is wrong that Mills College is closing. They are merging with Northeastern University and will continue to operate.

15. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    In your case your wife supports you as she always had, in affect she wears the pants, stop whining about it. maybe if you acted like a man
    True/Not True

But look at how you run!

16. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-18-2022)

18. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 3,065 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts