Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Why is college so expensive?. Univ of Michigan president paid $927,000 a year

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Maybe, but I worked for a living, unlike you. And, it's because of people like me that defended the country that you can sit in your whitie tighties and bitch at people on this board...
    Typical childish response.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,232 Times in 3,450 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,212 Times in 1,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    It's not government willing to pay for college education, it's government (and private banks) loaning money out to people to pay for college education, when government can just skip that step and make colleges tuition free.
    tuition free??? You mean taxpayer funded. That might be acceptable if colleges taught STEM only but they teach all sorts of useless crap and i don't want to pay for that.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    University of Michigan President: $927,000
    University of Michigan Defensive Coordinator: $1,000,000
    University of Michigan Offensive Coordinator: $900,000
    University of Michigan Head Coach: $4,000,000 (down from $8 million in 2020)
    I know - that's crazy too. Schools should not teach football or any other entertainment crap like literature or music. It should be STEM ONLY.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Really? Look at our government financed public education system. We have the most expensive K-12 public education system on the planet on a per student basis and the outcomes suck. If government took over full payment of tuition for college, that too would simply give universities incentive to raise their tuition rates even more.
    Govt can't do anything right. Yes - they should stay out of the college racket. And kids should not even want to go to college unless they have the brains for something like physics or engineering or IT. That would mean no blacks and few women. Where is the problem?

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Defense is a federal government function and outlined as such in the Constitution. Education is not a federal function and mentioned nowhere in the Constitution.
    And that means, by the tenth amendment, that education is entirely a state matter. And that means that the Supreme Court was 100% wrong in 1982 when they wrote a law ordering the states to give free k-12 to illegal aliens!!

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Well, I'd start by changing the metric we measure success by.
    Of course you would, because shifting the goalposts and redefining the parameters of your personal failures is one of your worst habits.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Instead of testing and preparedness for college on that basis, I'd measure success by how many students actually enter college, complete college, get good paying jobs (college or not), stay out of prison and jail, that sort of thing.
    Well, that's already being done, so what else ya got?

More people are graduating college now than ever before.

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A school system that's failing students is one that can't produce successful adults at the end of 12 years.
    So what I hear in your posts is that you have no idea how public education is broken, so of course you have no ideas on how to fix it.

You think lowering the bar is fixing education? How has lowering the bar worked out for you on JPP? Not great.

9. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    tuition free??? You mean taxpayer funded.
    Yeah, like how public schools are tuition free and funded by property taxes.

Try to keep up...I know I work fast and think quickly, so that can prove challenging to someone like you.

That might be acceptable if colleges taught STEM only but they teach all sorts of useless crap and i don't want to pay for that.
    Just because you're a fucking idiot who doesn't understand things, doesn't mean those things are useless.

What I find useless are people who shitpost on JPP about stolen elections but then cower in fear whenever the time comes to act on the bullshit they're peddling.

10. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

And that means, by the tenth amendment, that education is entirely a state matter. And that means that the Supreme Court was 100% wrong in 1982 when they wrote a law ordering the states to give free k-12 to illegal aliens!!
    The powers given the states under the 10th Amendment do not allow the states to violate the other provisions of the Constitution. The 14th Amendment equal protection clause does not allow the states to segregate schools or deny education to any residents. Nowhere do these constitutional rights apply only to citizens.

11. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

Well, I'd start by changing the metric we measure success by. Instead of testing and preparedness for college on that basis, I'd measure success by how many students actually enter college, complete college, get good paying jobs (college or not), stay out of prison and jail, that sort of thing. A school system that's failing students is one that can't produce successful adults at the end of 12 years.
    according to your metrics, the schools are much more successful today than they were in the 70s and 80s.
    In the 70s about 50% of HS Students went to college. Today about 70% do.
    https://admissionsly.com/percentage-who-go-to-college/

About 65% of those that enter college graduate within 6 years.
    https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=40

That means that almost 100% of those entering college in the 70-80s would have had to graduate to surpass the 45.5% of HS graduates doing so today. They didn't. The college graduation rate in the 80s was similar today. It may have even been lower at about 57%.
    https://nces.ed.gov/pubs89/89302.pdf

It seems college does lead to good paying jobs.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/01/coll...time-high.html

The incarceration rate seems to have gone up since the 80's but I am not going to spend the time to try to track down ages of those in prison.

Of your own 4 metrics, it seems 3 of the 4 contradict your claim that the schools have gotten worse. Did you not do the research or did you just think no one else would?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

12. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    The powers given the states under the 10th Amendment do not allow the states to violate the other provisions of the Constitution. The 14th Amendment equal protection clause does not allow the states to segregate schools or deny education to any residents. Nowhere do these constitutional rights apply only to citizens.
    The 14A says nothing about education. And granting free education to illegals is a violation of section 1324 of title 8 of the US code of laws.

13. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 890 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 135 Posts

Get rid of college. Get rid of all schools. People should learn thru homeschooling and self-education.
    Well...I don't want a doctor operating on me whom just homeschooled.

But I largely agree with you.

Most university courses are wastes of money.

And public school is a COMPLETE joke.

14. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    Well...I don't want a doctor operating on me whom just homeschooled.

But I largely agree with you.

Most university courses are wastes of money.

And public school is a COMPLETE joke.
    You're just a fucking idiot.

15. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

The 14A says nothing about education. And granting free education to illegals is a violation of section 1324 of title 8 of the US code of laws.
    The 14th says "no state" shall deny equal protection. That supersedes any federal law. The federal law you mention does not apply to the situation in this case.