Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, saltydancin, OG Yurt, serenity, Yakuda and ParachuteAdams

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dark Energy

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,648 Times in 27,302 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    While I'm familiar with the concepts, that doesn't mean I understand them. LOL

How does dark energy negate the theory of gravity or alter it? Because it appears to be massless?
    Dark energy is weird, because our conventional theories of gravity imply the expansion of the universe should be slowing down.

Scientists were shocked, beginning in the 1990s, to observe that the expansion of the universe is inexplicably speeding up - accelerating. This has been independently verified by numerous research groups.

The catch-all term to describe this weird acceleration of the universes' expansion is Dark Energy.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,374 Times in 52,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Dark energy is weird, because our conventional theories of gravity imply the expansion of the universe should be slowing down.

Scientists were shocked, beginning in the 1990s, to observe that the expansion of the universe is inexplicably speeding up - accelerating. This has been independently verified by numerous research groups.

The catch-all term to describe this weird acceleration of the universes' expansion is Dark Energy.
    The X factor. Didn't you post that visible matter only makes up about 15% of the entire Universe? The rest is labeled "Dark Matter" because no one knows what it is.

What are we missing?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The X factor. Didn't you post that visible matter only makes up about 15% of the entire Universe? The rest is labeled "Dark Matter" because no one knows what it is.

What are we missing?
    The estimates I have seen for the proportions of "stuff" in the universe are 5 percent conventional matter and energy, 20 percent dark matter, and 70 percent dark energy.

So, at this time we only have the ability to observe or detect about 5 percent of the "stuff" in the universe.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-21-2022)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Just what IS 5% of infinity?
    Infinity is a mathematical concept in set theory.

I am not talking about set theory or Euclidean volumes.

My post was crystal clear that I was talking about proportions, ratios, aka fractions.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The estimates I have seen for the proportions of "stuff" in the universe are 5 percent conventional matter and energy, 20 percent dark matter, and 70 percent dark energy.

So, at this time we only have the ability to observe or detect about 5 percent of the "stuff" in the universe.
    Thanks!

So we only understand 5% of the Universe and the other 95% is a mystery. How awesome is that?
    Looks like the human race, if it survives, has a lot of homework and research to do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (01-21-2022)

8. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks!

So we only understand 5% of the Universe and the other 95% is a mystery. How awesome is that?
    Looks like the human race, if it survives, has a lot of homework and research to do.
    That's what makes science fun:all the mystery to be explored.

I think a lot of people have the impression science has figured out about 80 percent of everything.

I think that is our hubris manifesting itself. It is impossible to quantity, but maybe we only have ten percent of it all figured out!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-21-2022)

10. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

I think a lot of people have the impression science has figured out about 80 percent of everything.
    Never heard of that.

11. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's what makes science fun:all the mystery to be explored.

I think that is our hubris manifesting itself. It is impossible to quantity, but maybe we only have ten percent of it all figured out!
    If you ask Trump, he understands 100% of everything.

The lack of humility in people has done many great things and many bad things. Overall, the results must be good because there are more of them constantly learning more and going further than at any time in known history.

Not bad for a species that was once on the verge of extinction. Part skill, part luck. The story of my life. Same for you?

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwic...-in-70-000-b-c
    How Human Beings Almost Vanished From Earth In 70,000 B.C.
    Well, we've waxed. So we can wane. Let's just hope we wane gently. Because once in our history, the world-wide population of human beings skidded so sharply we were down to roughly a thousand reproductive adults. One study says we hit as low as 40.

Forty? Come on, that can't be right. Well, the technical term is 40 "breeding pairs" (children not included). More likely there was a drastic dip and then 5,000 to 10,000 bedraggled Homo sapiens struggled together in pitiful little clumps hunting and gathering for thousands of years until, in the late Stone Age, we humans began to recover. But for a time there, says science writer Sam Kean, "We damn near went extinct."

12. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you ask Trump, he understands 100% of everything.

The lack of humility in people has done many great things and many bad things. Overall, the results must be good because there are more of them constantly learning more and going further than at any time in known history.

Not bad for a species that was once on the verge of extinction. Part skill, part luck. The story of my life. Same for you?

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwic...-in-70-000-b-c
    How Human Beings Almost Vanished From Earth In 70,000 B.C.
    Yeah! I heard about this near extinction of humans! Supposedly, there were only a few dozen left, which may explain our low genetic diversity compared to many other species.

I really don't know if there is an objective way to measure achievement, but I would guestimate that my life experience is about 90 percent attributable to parents, family, environment, fortune, community, and about ten percent due to individual effort.

13. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,626 Times in 9,294 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah! I heard about this near extinction of humans! Supposedly, there were only a few dozen left, which may explain our low genetic diversity compared to many other species.

I really don't know if there is an objective way to measure achievement, but I would guestimate that my life experience is about 90 percent attributable to parents, family, environment, fortune, community, and about ten percent due to individual effort.
    I think that's the future after the Apocalypse,a few survivors here and there around the global.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

14. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Never heard of that.
    Considering that many people assume there is probably a scientific explanation for almost everything, I don't think my guestimate is too far off.

Hubris is a human flaw. At the end of the 19th century, the consensus among physicists was that we were nearing the end of physics; we had pretty much figured everything out and there were just loose ends to tie up.

But then Einstein, Bohr, Schroedinger rocked their world.

15. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Considering that many people assume there is probably a scientific explanation for almost everything, I don't think my guestimate is too far off.

Hubris is a human flaw. At the end of the 19th century, the consensus among physicists was that we were nearing the end of physics; we had pretty much figured everything out and there were just loose ends to tie up.

But then Einstein, Bohr, Schroedinger rocked their world.
    I suspect most people don't care about science at all. About the same who don't really care about politics.

16. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mason View Post
    I think that's the future after the Apocalypse,a few survivors here and there around the global.
    If I survive the apocalypse, I am prepared to do my duty to humanity and breed with many of the remaining females.

17. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I’d weight more on the individual.

One way to separate individual effort and parental/mentor influence is to look at siblings. If you’re the one who is successful and the rest are back home working minimum wage jobs, then clearly yours would be more individual effort. If all were successful, then obviously there are external factors contributing to success.

That gets into a Nature vs. Nurture, genetics vs environment.

18. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I’d weight more on the individual.

One way to separate individual effort and parental/mentor influence is to look at siblings. If you’re the one who is successful and the rest are back home working minimum wage jobs, then clearly yours would be more individual effort. If all were successful, then obviously there are external factors contributing to success.

That gets into a Nature vs. Nurture, genetics vs environment.
    Everyone in my immediate family and my first cousins are/were college graduates, or accomplished professionals. No one worked for minimum wage as an adult.

I had extraordinary parents, but I also think there is a latent expectation in immigrant families to take advantage of the gift you were given.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-21-2022)