Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Is it time to re-think free speech?

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,321 Times in 9,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 511 Times in 484 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    Yes, and I'm preserving that. I haven't suggested changing any standards about what constitutes libel or slander. The burden of proof would remain identical to today. I've just suggested rule changes that would even the economic playing field, so that such suits are a practical option for regular people, not just for the elite. And it could well REDUCE the amount of nuisance litigation, since wealthy folks used to abusing our court systems to intimidate their critics, like Nunes and Trump, would know that when their half-baked suits inevitably fail, they'll wind up having to pay their target's litigation costs. As it currently stands, that often isn't the case, meaning a scumbag vexation litigant like Trump can eat the losses of case after case, knowing that the legal costs hit his targets harder than him, relative to their respective incomes. If it costs $50k for each of them, that's going to be nothing for a millionaire like Trump, but potentially ruinous for the regular folks he preys on.
    not every defendant will be a billionaire.

you want regular people who say things you don't like to be easily mired down in litigation by funding plaintiffs?

It's already the case that winners can get legal fees.

2. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 62 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    True... nor a millionaire, like Trump. But the point of my reform is to create a more level playing field, where even if you're poor, you can realistically be a plaintiff (and also realistically stick to your guns when you're a defendant, rather than being intimidated into settling by way of a wealthy plaintiff overwhelming you with expensive legal process that you'll never be able to recover even when you win).

The general rule in the US is that each party bears its own legal costs. Awarding legal fees to the winner is the exception to the rule. Read up on it:

http://www.wgmorrislaw.com/Marco-Isl...ICAN-RULE.aspx
    https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ide-30337.html
    https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/94-970.html

3. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,458 Times in 52,470 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

you want regular people who say things you don't like to be easily mired down in litigation by funding plaintiffs?

That's been the situation for decades. SLAPP suits are how rich people or corporations buy justice....mostly by stalling for time. The system is honest, but it's war of attrition with money being the primary resource for battle. Those who can last the longest win by default. Which is why rich people/corporations often outlast their accusers.

You're anti-union which defaults to pro-corporation, Fredo. You're real problem here, not me. I support individualism with an umbrella to protect my rights from aggressors, be they singular or larger in number, foreign or domestic.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    That's been the situation for decades. SLAPP suits are how rich people or corporations buy justice....mostly by stalling for time. The system is honest, but it's war of attrition with money being the primary resource for battle. Those who can last the longest win by default. Which is why rich people/corporations often outlast their accusers.

You're anti-union which defaults to pro-corporation, Fredo. You're real problem here, not me. I support individualism with an umbrella to protect my rights from aggressors, be they singular or larger in number, foreign or domestic.
    Im actually pro union.

she wants to allow even pooor people to silence speech with litigation.

that's the wrong solution, diptardo montalban. yea and verily, it is no solution at all.

5. #215 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,458 Times in 52,470 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Im actually pro union.

she wants to allow even pooor people to silence speech with litigation.

that's the wrong solution, diptardo montalban. yea and verily, it is no solution at all.
    People are who read our posts are free to decide who is a true patriot of freedom and who is a corporate lackey.

God bless America!

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

6. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    People are who read our posts are free to decide who is a true patriot of freedom and who is a corporate lackey.

God bless America!

I agree.