Thread: Delta and Omicron are different. Why I think it matters

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Delta and Omicron are different. Why I think it matters

I get that this is a VERY small sample size (2), but there is a marked difference between these two variants. With Delta, I was sick for about two weeks. Horrific headaches, congestion, extreme fatigue for me, same for my wife, with a nice dose of nausea, vomiting and dehydration thrown in for good measure. My wife required a trip to the ER for fluids. With Omricon, I have a few sniffles and a chronic cough. Easily treated with OTC medication. I've been able to do pretty much anything I want around the house without getting fatigued. My wife is 100% asymptomatic even though she has also tested positive. Not a single symptom.

The difference is night and day for us. We are of course triple vaxxed, and there is a slight possibility that the natural immunity from six months ago is having some effect, but the bottom line is that pre-Covid, this wouldn't have kept me from doing anything. Delta would have. It was much more like a bad flu, this is more like a mild cold.

I think the difference is important, because I think my experience appears to be the norm rather than the exception. Given that, the response should acknowledge that at least for vaccinated people, there is no need to shut anything down. Omicron is going to get almost everyone, but for most people, it isn't a big deal. The unvaxxed will have to accept the consequences of their actions, and unfortunately, that is going to put a strain on the hospitals, but the real truth is that if everyone was vaccinated, there would be no need to for anything other than masking and social distancing. I understand why CDC guidance has changed on isolation, because the economic cost isn't worth it for vaccinated people. This is a threat almost exclusively to those who are unvaxxed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

evince (01-15-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,727 Times in 27,215 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,585 Times in 18,174 Posts
    Blog Entries