View Poll Results: It's okay to mock the deaths of public figures who spread Anti-vax ideology

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 37.50%
  • No

7 43.75%
  • I don't know

0 0%
  • Other

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mocking anti-vaxxers’ COVID deaths is ghoulish, yes — but may be necessary

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,448 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Mocking anti-vaxxers’ COVID deaths is ghoulish, yes — but may be necessary

Mockery isn't the best much less only response to the death of an anti-vaxxer dying of COVID....but as the link points out, it may be necessary.

It's not mocking every victim of COVID since there are many innocent victims; it's mocking the fucking morons who use their position and/or social media to spread science/medical misinformation, anti-vax political ideology and, in general, politicize a pandemic with false ideology stemming from the Party of Trump, Q Anon, Tucker Carlson and other idiots.

Although the article is below, these are links to "Awards" for the deaths of anti-vaxxing idiots akin to the Darwin Awards:

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/
    The purpose of this site is educational, except for a few exceptions, everyone listed on this site was/is an anti-vaxxer activist who helped spread COVID-19 misinformation on social media. Share to stop others from making the same mistake. GET VACCINATED!

https://slate.com/technology/2021/09...-cataloged.amp ( https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/ )

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...f-anti-vaxxers
    Column: Mocking anti-vaxxers’ COVID deaths is ghoulish, yes — but may be necessary
    Among all the ways that COVID-19 affects our lives, the pandemic confronts us with a profound moral dilemma:

How should we react to the deaths of the unvaccinated?

On the one hand, a hallmark of civilized thought is the sense that every life is precious.

On the other, those who have deliberately flouted sober medical advice by refusing a vaccine known to reduce the risk of serious disease from the virus, including the risk to others, and end up in the hospital or the grave can be viewed as receiving their just deserts.

That’s even more true of those who not only refused the vaccine for themselves, but publicly advocated that others do so....

...To begin with, let’s stipulate that not all people unvaccinated against COVID are alike. Some have remained unvaccinated for legitimate medical reasons — they may be children for whom the COVID vaccines haven’t yet been officially ruled safe, or people with genuine medical reasons for avoiding the vaccine.

Some may have legitimately faced obstacles in getting to a vaccination site and receiving the full series of shots before becoming exposed to the disease.

Others may have refused the vaccine because they’ve been deceived by the misinformation and disinformation spread by the anti-vaccine crowd such as anchors on Fox News.

The deaths of all those victims are truly lamentable.

Finally, there are those who have voiced public opposition to the vaccines — not all of whom are unvaccinated themselves. Some have couched their opposition in policy terms. Ernby fell into that category — she asserted opposition not to the vaccines as such, but to vaccination mandates....
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

evince (01-15-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey, they wanted to die, we should celebrate the fact that they got their wish, especially given that we as a society have to pay the price so they can get what they wanted. Why not celebrate.

4. The Following User Groans At Concart For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-16-2022)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

evince (01-15-2022)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not cool with mocking their deaths. That being said, I am perfectly fine with holding them up to the harsh light of public opinion as terrible examples. In fact, I think it should be mandatory that if you are a public figure who has spread pandemic misinformation and lies deliberately, your grisly demise choking on your own secretions should be videotaped and posted widely.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

evince (01-15-2022), Rune (01-16-2022)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 18 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I'm not cool with mocking their deaths. That being said, I am perfectly fine with holding them up to the harsh light of public opinion as terrible examples. In fact, I think it should be mandatory that if you are a public figure who has spread pandemic misinformation and lies deliberately, your grisly demise choking on your own secretions should be videotaped and posted widely.
    Oh, I agree. I always feel so sad when I read about people who chose not to get vaccinated, dying. There are some really terrible stories. It's the public figures who disseminate the anti-vax conspiracy theories I don't feel sorry for. Many of them, are vaxxed themselves. 3x vaxxed and totally relaxed while they encourage their followers not to get the shots. Tucker Carlson comes to mind. And the public figures who aren't vaxxed, so are basically walking their talk? Those I don't feel sorry for either.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

Cypress (01-15-2022), evince (01-15-2022), Phantasmal (01-16-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-15-2022)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Oh, I agree. I always feel so sad when I read about people who chose not to get vaccinated, dying. There are some really terrible stories. It's the public figures who disseminate the anti-vax conspiracy theories I don't feel sorry for. Many of them, are vaxxed themselves. 3x vaxxed and totally relaxed while they encourage their followers not to get the shots. Tucker Carlson comes to mind. And the public figures who aren't vaxxed, so are basically walking their talk? Those I don't feel sorry for either.
    What?!?!?!?!?? Is this for real or a sock going old school?!?!?!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (01-15-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-15-2022), TOP (01-15-2022)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    What?!?!?!?!?? Is this for real or a sock going old school?!?!?!
    It's me. I'll PM you.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

BartenderElite (01-15-2022), cawacko (01-15-2022), evince (01-15-2022), Phantasmal (01-16-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-15-2022)

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's me. I'll PM you.
    Seriously? THE Darla? I've heard so much about you, 93.517% of it good! I'm so glad that you came back! I joined after you left so we've never met, but ppl I highly respect here (all 3-4 of them lol) have spoken so highly of you. Pleased to meet you!
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

evince (01-15-2022), Phantasmal (01-16-2022), Rune (01-16-2022)

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Seriously? THE Darla? I've heard so much about you, 93.517% of it good! I'm so glad that you came back! I joined after you left so we've never met, but ppl I highly respect here (all 3-4 of them lol) have spoken so highly of you. Pleased to meet you!
    Yes! Nice to meet you too. I've heard about you, I keep in touch with Rana. I just realized I don't know her board name anymore, I have to ask her on FB. I heard a lot of people thought you were me when you first signed up here. lol. Sorry!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

evince (01-15-2022), Phantasmal (01-16-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-15-2022)

18. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes! Nice to meet you too. I've heard about you, I keep in touch with Rana. I just realized I don't know her board name anymore, I have to ask her on FB. I heard a lot of people thought you were me when you first signed up here. lol. Sorry!
    I missed out too, but welcome. Never hurts to have another sane voice join the fray.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Darla (01-15-2022), evince (01-15-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-15-2022)

20. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

She's Phantasmal now. I just sent you a PM.

Hey I'm not sorry a bit to be mistaken for a JPP legend!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Darla (01-15-2022), Phantasmal (01-16-2022)

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

She's Phantasmal now. I just sent you a PM.

Hey I'm not sorry a bit to be mistaken for a JPP legend!
    LOL aww. I am just really good at enraging men. That's it.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

LOL aww. I am just really good at enraging men. That's it.
    <scoots closer> Yes, I have the same gift. Let us compare notes!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Darla (01-15-2022), evince (01-15-2022), Phantasmal (01-16-2022)

26. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

<scoots closer> Yes, I have the same gift. Let us compare notes!
    Awesome, I can't wait. It's so much fun.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darla For This Post:

28. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,028 Times in 6,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Mockery isn't the best much less only response to the death of an anti-vaxxer dying of COVID....but as the link points out, it may be necessary.

It's not mocking every victim of COVID since there are many innocent victims; it's mocking the fucking morons who use their position and/or social media to spread science/medical misinformation, anti-vax political ideology and, in general, politicize a pandemic with false ideology stemming from the Party of Trump, Q Anon, Tucker Carlson and other idiots.

Although the article is below, these are links to "Awards" for the deaths of anti-vaxxing idiots akin to the Darwin Awards:

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/
    The purpose of this site is educational, except for a few exceptions, everyone listed on this site was/is an anti-vaxxer activist who helped spread COVID-19 misinformation on social media. Share to stop others from making the same mistake. GET VACCINATED!

https://slate.com/technology/2021/09...-cataloged.amp ( https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/ )

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...f-anti-vaxxers
    Column: Mocking anti-vaxxers’ COVID deaths is ghoulish, yes — but may be necessary
    Among all the ways that COVID-19 affects our lives, the pandemic confronts us with a profound moral dilemma:

How should we react to the deaths of the unvaccinated?

On the one hand, a hallmark of civilized thought is the sense that every life is precious.

On the other, those who have deliberately flouted sober medical advice by refusing a vaccine known to reduce the risk of serious disease from the virus, including the risk to others, and end up in the hospital or the grave can be viewed as receiving their just deserts.

That’s even more true of those who not only refused the vaccine for themselves, but publicly advocated that others do so....

...To begin with, let’s stipulate that not all people unvaccinated against COVID are alike. Some have remained unvaccinated for legitimate medical reasons — they may be children for whom the COVID vaccines haven’t yet been officially ruled safe, or people with genuine medical reasons for avoiding the vaccine.

Some may have legitimately faced obstacles in getting to a vaccination site and receiving the full series of shots before becoming exposed to the disease.

Others may have refused the vaccine because they’ve been deceived by the misinformation and disinformation spread by the anti-vaccine crowd such as anchors on Fox News.

The deaths of all those victims are truly lamentable.

Finally, there are those who have voiced public opposition to the vaccines — not all of whom are unvaccinated themselves. Some have couched their opposition in policy terms. Ernby fell into that category — she asserted opposition not to the vaccines as such, but to vaccination mandates....
    Mocking? Not so much. Being critical and make an example of with little sympathy? That sounds good.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-16-2022), Doc Dutch (01-15-2022), evince (01-15-2022), ThatOwlWoman (01-15-2022)

30. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Awesome, I can't wait. It's so much fun.
    Phan can catch you up on the name changes of ppl you knew from before. You guys must have known each other for eons!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

evince (01-15-2022), Phantasmal (01-16-2022)