Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TOP!!

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

George Vest (1830-1904) served as U.S. Senator from Missouri from 1879 to 1903.

This speech is from a time when he practiced law in a small Missouri town.

It was given in court while representing a man who sued another for killing of his dog.

Vest made the following speech to the jury:

Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy.

His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful.

Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith.

The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most.

A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.

A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side.

He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world.

He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies.

And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,653 Times in 16,582 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    My puppy mill rescue dog is doing well! Really come a long way in a few short months.
    Wonderful news!!...Thank you for saving her life....for your love and patience...your time and dedication....it's sure not easy, but so worth it...She is one lucky little girl....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Post:

Life is Golden (01-19-2022)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Wonderful news!!...Thank you for saving her life....for your love and patience...your time and dedication....it's sure not easy, but so worth it...She is one lucky little girl....
    It is worth it. This is the first rescue dog I've ever had. It is a rewarding experience.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

TOP (01-20-2022)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post

It was given in court while representing a man who sued another for killing of his dog.

Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy.

Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith.

The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most.

A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.

A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side.

He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world.

He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies.

And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.
    That is beautiful and so true. Thank you, Legion.

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That is beautiful and so true. Thank you, Legion.
    I get a little verklempt every time I read it.

BTW, Mr. Vest won the case for his client. The judge and jury reportedly bawled like babies.

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thank you for posting this..I'm so going to steal it to share...

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I get a little verklempt every time I read it.

BTW, Mr. Vest won the case for his client. The judge and jury reportedly bawled like babies.
    We celebrate each of these victories for those precious ones who have no voice...with cheers and tears...

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Yeah we know.

Turn your hat backwards you’ll run faster.
    Better yet take it off.

On occasion Woody Allen would walk by with his groceries.

The year I was born.

Dude I’ll fish with you anytime. But you can’t come to work dressed like that.

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,578 Times in 9,986 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 873 Times in 830 Posts

Update on Bailey!

Wow ! What a massive difference so soon. He was neutured on Tuesday but then they looked at pesky skin problem/ allergy issue as well. They prescribed him an anti biotic which Im assuming does double duty in case the neuter procedure ran into any infections but then they also told me that it would help clear up the redness he had because his itchy spots were getting just a bit infected. But here is the biggy IMO.....they also prescribed him prednisone. I looked it up,....its a steroid that can be given to dogs for a wide range skin problems to clear them up. Man, what a difference ALREADY! Holy cow. He was a great dog to begin with,...but now he just looks so much better, feels so much better too I would imagine because he isnt scratching all the time. We couldnt be more thrilled. All we ever wanted for him was to be healthy and for him to be happy in a place he can FINALLY call his home. He's got that now. Cant wait till summer. That boy is going to have so much fun at the lake swimming with us, going for boat rides, and playing fetch in the water. Plus our daily walks are much longer when the weather is good with a lot of them being out in the country on state park land where he has a little room to run. Thanks for all your help and words of encouragement guys. And a huge shout out to Top. She was right on it from the beginning. He made it,......his long wait is finally over. He's home! Oh,....P.S,....wife talked me into a puppy in the spring so he can have a playmate. Going to be another rescue for sure. Wife wants to name him George,....goes good with Bailey!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stone For This Post:

Life is Golden (01-20-2022), TOP (01-20-2022)

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Update on Bailey!

Wow ! What a massive difference so soon. He was neutured on Tuesday but then they looked at pesky skin problem/ allergy issue as well. They prescribed him an anti biotic which Im assuming does double duty in case the neuter procedure ran into any infections but then they also told me that it would help clear up the redness he had because his itchy spots were getting just a bit infected. But here is the biggy IMO.....they also prescribed him prednisone. I looked it up,....its a steroid that can be given to dogs for a wide range skin problems to clear them up. Man, what a difference ALREADY! Holy cow. He was a great dog to begin with,...but now he just looks so much better, feels so much better too I would imagine because he isnt scratching all the time. We couldnt be more thrilled. All we ever wanted for him was to be healthy and for him to be happy in a place he can FINALLY call his home. He's got that now. Cant wait till summer. That boy is going to have so much fun at the lake swimming with us, going for boat rides, and playing fetch in the water. Plus our daily walks are much longer when the weather is good with a lot of them being out in the country on state park land where he has a little room to run. Thanks for all your help and words of encouragement guys. And a huge shout out to Top. She was right on it from the beginning. He made it,......his long wait is finally over. He's home! Oh,....P.S,....wife talked me into a puppy in the spring so he can have a playmate. Going to be another rescue for sure. Wife wants to name him George,....goes good with Bailey!
    Awesome. Bless you for saving that pup. Two dogs is always better than one, they will keep each other company And the older one will help train the new one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

TOP (01-20-2022)

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Awesome. Bless you for saving that pup. Two dogs is always better than one, they will keep each other company And the older one will help train the new one.
    Thank you so much!

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Also got some good news when it comes to adopting the next one. My wife wanted to adopt at a Humane society in a town about an hour from here instead of our local one where we got Bailey because she heard it had a high kill rate. But after talking to our local office they told us that THEY have taken a leadership role now at the other one, pretty much taken over, and have instituted the same policies there that they have here. At our office its pretty rare for a dog to be put down unless they are quite old and sick. So,........... the good news is,...now we can just adopt local instead. I believe in buying local,....mights well keep adopting local as well!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

Life is Golden (01-20-2022)

18. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Update on Bailey!

Wow ! What a massive difference so soon. He was neutered on Tuesday but then they looked at pesky skin problem/ allergy issue as well. They prescribed him an antibiotic which I'm assuming does double duty in case the neuter procedure ran into any infections but then they also told me that it would help clear up the redness he had because his itchy spots were getting just a bit infected. But here is the biggy IMO.....they also prescribed him prednisone. I looked it up,....its a steroid that can be given to dogs for a wide range skin problems to clear them up. Man, what a difference ALREADY! Holy cow. He was a great dog to begin with,...but now he just looks so much better, feels so much better too I would imagine because he isn't scratching all the time. We couldnt be more thrilled. All we ever wanted for him was to be healthy and for him to be happy in a place he can FINALLY call his home. He's got that now. Cant wait till summer. That boy is going to have so much fun at the lake swimming with us, going for boat rides, and playing fetch in the water. Plus our daily walks are much longer when the weather is good with a lot of them being out in the country on state park land where he has a little room to run. Thanks for all your help and words of encouragement guys. And a huge shout out to Top. She was right on it from the beginning. He made it,......his long wait is finally over. He's home! Oh,....P.S....wife talked me into a puppy in the spring so he can have a playmate. Going to be another rescue for sure. Wife wants to name him George,....goes good with Bailey!
    Such wonderful news!!...I'm so happy everything is working out....Thank you again... so much...for saving him, for hanging in there, And especially for considering a bro for Bailey...that will be great for everyone! And the perfect name...

19. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Also got some good news when it comes to adopting the next one. My wife wanted to adopt at a Humane society in a town about an hour from here instead of our local one where we got Bailey because she heard it had a high kill rate. But after talking to our local office they told us that THEY have taken a leadership role now at the other one, pretty much taken over, and have instituted the same policies there that they have here. At our office its pretty rare for a dog to be put down unless they are quite old and sick. So,........... the good news is,...now we can just adopt local instead. I believe in buying local,....mights well keep adopting local as well!
    Adopt, don't shop...even better that it's local...I'm always thrilled to hear that shelters are taking progressive steps to improve their success rates...and saving more lives... Improved shelter conditions, foster/adoption programs, spay/neuter programs, partnering with the community to get volunteers and more rescues involved...etc.etc.etc...it's complicated but so important.... It's pretty exciting to be involved...watch out...you might get hooked..

20. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Such wonderful news!!...I'm so happy everything is working out....Thank you again... so much...for saving him, for hanging in there, And especially for considering a bro for Bailey...that will be great for everyone! And the perfect name...
    Thanks Top! And Bailey ole boy says thanks too!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

TOP (01-26-2022)