Members banned from this thread: AProudLefty and ParachuteAdams


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

Thread: DEMOCRATS in the news

  1. #16 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    33,648
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 16,420 Times in 10,410 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2,683 Times in 2,500 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    So what if 1% of what they sell ends up being profit? THEY MAKE $2B A YEAR IN PROFIT.
    It's volume, all major chains do the same, making above one percent profit on any big grocery chain is unusual

  2. #17 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    53,216
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked 11,688 Times in 8,718 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,821 Times in 2,611 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    It's volume, all major chains do the same, making above one percent profit on any big grocery chain is unusual
    But the focus on margins instead of profits is deliberate and meant to obscure the obscene profits these companies make.

    $1B a year in profit, for any company, is obscene, and Kroger here makes double that.
    "While you're worried about bad apples
    We're wary of the roots
    Because no healthy tree
    Naturally bears strange fruit"


    -Jessica Foster, June 2020

  3. #18 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    33,648
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 16,420 Times in 10,410 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2,683 Times in 2,500 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    If Warren wishes to truly rein in the costs of Americans' groceries, the solutions are clear: Cool off inflation by paring back profligate government spending; remove protectionist restrictions to allow industries to get the supply chain back on track; in the longer term, cut back on red tape to better allow competition among suppliers.

    These fixes may not be as flashy as "break up Big Grocery," but they at least reflect the situation accurately.


    https://reason.com/2022/01/12/elizabeth-warren-blames-high-food-prices-on-grocery-chains-record-1-percent-profit-margins/
    Appears "copy and paste" now wants open trade with China, his Messiah would be very disappointed in him

    What makes you think those nations that are supposedly the victims of those protective restrictions hasn't also suffered a slow down in production due to Covid as the rest of the world has in the last two and half years? And specifically tell us what is that "profligate government spending," and try not to use some lengthy copy and paste articles from some right leaning source that you haven't the slightest clue what they are talking about

  4. #19 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    107,358
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchovies View Post
    Appears "copy and paste" now wants open trade with China, his Messiah would be very disappointed in him What makes you think those nations that are supposedly the victims of those protective restrictions hasn't also suffered a slow down in production due to Covid as the rest of the world has in the last two and half years? And specifically tell us what is that "profligate government spending," and try not to use some lengthy copy and paste articles from some right leaning source that you haven't the slightest clue what they are talking about
    Poor Anchovies.

  5. #20 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    33,648
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 16,420 Times in 10,410 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2,683 Times in 2,500 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Poor Anchovies.
    Thought so, "copy" can't back up anything he says, not a surprise, seen regularly

    Poor poor "copy," no matter what pseudonym he posts under

  6. #21 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    107,358
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchovies View Post
    Thought so, "copy" can't back up anything he says, not a surprise, seen regularly Poor poor "copy," no matter what pseudonym he posts under
    Poor Anchovies.

  7. #22 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    21,207
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10,204 Times in 7,199 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 310 Times in 288 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    So what if 1% of what they sell ends up being profit? THEY MAKE $2B A YEAR IN PROFIT.
    They are a big company. That's what happens when you're a big company.

  8. #23 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    21,207
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10,204 Times in 7,199 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 310 Times in 288 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Wrong. It's completely relevant because Warren is talking about taxing profits, not taxing revenues or margins.

    You shifted away from what Warren was talking about because Kroger makes $2B in profit a year, and you can't let other people know that because then it undermines your weak argument.

    I see right through this act.




    $1B in profit is obscene...and they make double that.




    Oh woe the CEO whose company only made $2B last year.

    How's that boot taste?
    She's an idiot. You are an idiot. The US government spends a billion dollars about every two and a half hours. That's obscene. That Warren wants to confiscate the profits of a corporation that's barely making a return on what they sell is obscene. Even if she confiscated their entire profits, barely funds the government's fraud, waste, and abuse for 5 hours...

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

    Sailor (01-12-2022)

  10. #24 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    53,216
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked 11,688 Times in 8,718 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,821 Times in 2,611 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    They are a big company..
    Exactly, so by focusing on the margins, you obscure their obscene profits.

    That way you can get the emotional reaction out of people you're seeking.

    But you're a sophist, so it's not working.
    "While you're worried about bad apples
    We're wary of the roots
    Because no healthy tree
    Naturally bears strange fruit"


    -Jessica Foster, June 2020

  11. #25 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    53,216
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked 11,688 Times in 8,718 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,821 Times in 2,611 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    They are a big company. That's what happens when you're a big company.
    So big company = big profits

    So your attempt to focus on the margins instead was a deliberate sophist choice you made, because it would be easier to get an emotional reaction out of people by pretending Warren wants to get blood from a stone, instead of blood from an engorged deer tick.
    "While you're worried about bad apples
    We're wary of the roots
    Because no healthy tree
    Naturally bears strange fruit"


    -Jessica Foster, June 2020

  12. #26 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    53,216
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked 11,688 Times in 8,718 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,821 Times in 2,611 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    She's an idiot.
    No, you're a liar and you're a bootlicker.

    You obscure facts and hold back exculpatory information because you don't debate -or do anything, for that matter- in good faith.

    It's easier for you to grift simpletons by pretending you're smart enough to know about margins, hoping they don't ask the follow up question of "well, how much money are they actually making in profit?"

    You left that information out because it becomes much harder to defend $2B in profit ($1B of which was used for stock buybacks and $20M for CEO compensation in 2021) than it is to defend narrow margins.

    You are also lazy and didn't bother to do any research into Kroger and how they used more than half of their "Oh woe is me narrow margins" to do $1B in stock buybacks and hand the CEO $20M annual compensation.

    Did you know Kroger did that? I bet you didn't.

    You don't seem to know much of anything, but that doesn't stop you from running your big, fat mouth anyway.
    "While you're worried about bad apples
    We're wary of the roots
    Because no healthy tree
    Naturally bears strange fruit"


    -Jessica Foster, June 2020

  13. #27 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    53,216
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked 11,688 Times in 8,718 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,821 Times in 2,611 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The US government spends a billion dollars about every two and a half hours.
    Yeah, but the US government is about $4T in size, so...what does that have to do with Kroger?


    That Warren wants to confiscate the profits of a corporation
    Profits you held out of your post because they are in the billions, half of which was used to buy back stock, and $20M of which was used for CEO compensation just last year.

    But tell us again how narrow Kroger's margins are...but take your lips off the boot first.


    Even if she confiscated their entire profits, barely funds the government's fraud, waste, and abuse for 5 hours...
    Well, good thing she's not after their entire profits, so you don't need to soil your diaper.

    If the company makes $2B a year and spends half of it buying back stock and giving a bonus to the CEO, while that same company's employees make so little they qualify for government benefits, then maybe that business shouldn't exist at all or maybe it should get taxed so much so that it pays for the welfare its employees need.
    "While you're worried about bad apples
    We're wary of the roots
    Because no healthy tree
    Naturally bears strange fruit"


    -Jessica Foster, June 2020

  14. #28 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,160
    Thanks
    14,883
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Groans
    96
    Groaned 116 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Wrong. It's completely relevant because Warren is talking about taxing profits, not taxing revenues or margins.

    You shifted away from what Warren was talking about because Kroger makes $2B in profit a year, and you can't let other people know that because then it undermines your weak argument.

    I see right through this act.




    $1B in profit is obscene...and they make double that.




    Oh woe the CEO whose company only made $2B last year.

    How's that boot taste?
    Wrong. It's completely relevant because Warren is talking about taxing profits, not taxing revenues or margins.
    So she would tax profits AFTER taxing revenue? Let’s look at this and see if I’m on the same page.

    Revenue(defined as total income from a particular source)is taxed at a corporate rate after all deductible expenses.

    What’s left after that is “profit”, right? Where do you think that profit goes? Well, yes, it gets divided up between the owners(aka the board members AND the stock holders)

    After it’s divided up, it becomes “revenue” for those people and is taxed as income for them. So you think the government should add ANOTHER layer of taxation to that? In other words, tax the total revenue of the corporation, then tax the profit that’s left after the corporate tax is paid, distribute what’s left of that to the board of directors and the stockholders, which will in turn be taxed as income for them. Do i have the picture now?

    Did you know that warren still wants a wealth tax? Yeah, that means that these ultra millionaires would pay an additional tax on their accumulated wealth every year. THAT MEANS A TAX ON CASH AND ASSETS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN TAXED YEARS BEFORE AS INCOME!

    When does it end with you vultures?

    $1B in profit is obscene...and they make double that.
    You and your ignorant ilk are not the arbiters of obscenity in fiduciary matters. You can’t make decisions because you have no understanding of finance and I suspect that you hate money in general or maybe just the people that have it.
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung



    “Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin



    “Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

  15. #29 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    53,216
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked 11,688 Times in 8,718 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,821 Times in 2,611 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Callinectes View Post
    So she would tax profits AFTER taxing revenue?
    She isn't talking about taxing revenue because revenue isn't taxed, profits are.

    You have COVID brain too, don't ya?
    "While you're worried about bad apples
    We're wary of the roots
    Because no healthy tree
    Naturally bears strange fruit"


    -Jessica Foster, June 2020

  16. #30 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    53,216
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked 11,688 Times in 8,718 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,821 Times in 2,611 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Callinectes View Post
    What’s left after that is “profit”, right? Where do you think that profit goes? Well, yes, it gets divided up between the owners(aka the board members AND the stock holders)
    Right, $2B a year into their pockets.

    So what is your point?
    "While you're worried about bad apples
    We're wary of the roots
    Because no healthy tree
    Naturally bears strange fruit"


    -Jessica Foster, June 2020

Similar Threads

  1. Bad News For Democrats Equals Good News For The Country
    By Flanders in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 11-27-2020, 05:54 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2020, 12:43 PM
  3. Good news for humankind is bad news for DEMOCRATS
    By The Anonymous in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-02-2020, 09:42 AM
  4. Good news for America; bad news for DEMOCRATS
    By Legion in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-02-2019, 12:59 PM
  5. Good news for America; bad news for DEMOCRATS
    By Legion in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •