Members banned from this thread: AProudLefty and ParachuteAdams

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The coffee and tea thread

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default The coffee and tea thread

I love coffee and tea, and am always exploring new ways to brew both.

Please post your favorite methods and preferred blends ITT, and please don't troll.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post

Please post your favorite methods and preferred blends ITT, and please don't troll.
    The overall best taste is fresh ground beans in the french press method. I bought a burr grinder for making the specified course grounds but it ended up grinding it inconsistent and leaving silt in my coffee. So it's hit and miss based on how much you spend on a good grinder. You can also prepare tea this way but it's a pain to clean the stuck leaves.

Here are some great choices.

Best coffee, it's roasted to order and sold 1-6 pounds. I bought 5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/11327448555...f15c%7Ciid%3A1

Best tea. https://smile.amazon.com/Harney-Sons..._bap_d_rp_52_t

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    The overall best taste is fresh ground beans in the french press method. I bought a burr grinder for making the specified course grounds but it ended up grinding it inconsistent and leaving silt in my coffee. So it's hit and miss based on how much you spend on a good grinder. You can also prepare tea this way but it's a pain to clean the stuck leaves.

Here are some great choices.

Best coffee, it's roasted to order and sold 1-6 pounds. I bought 5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/11327448555...f15c%7Ciid%3A1

Best tea. https://smile.amazon.com/Harney-Sons..._bap_d_rp_52_t
    Thanks for your contribution.

I have tried grinding freshly-roasted beans, but it's inconvenient for me to find a roaster whose product is available in the small batches I want for the sake of freshness. I'm also having issues with roasters who are experiencing supply shortages of my preferred blend. That's not all bad, because it forced me to try what's available, and sometimes I discover new tastes I might have missed otherwise.

Is your grinder ceramic or steel-bladed?

As to tea, I utilize loose leaf whenever time permits. I have found that using a Chatsford teapot minimizes any mess. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has moved production out of the UK and their quality has suffered as a result. I am extra-careful to preserve my English-made Chatsfords because an equivalent replacement is no longer available. I'm also found of vintage Sadler teapots, many of which will accept the Chatsford infuser.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do not care for tea in any form (makes me a heretic down south here).

I like coffee though my wife more accurately observed that I like flavored creamer with some coffee in it.

Used to splurge on Jamaican Blue Mtn or Kona from time to time but I just run Seattle's Best in my Keureg these days and, yes, put far more Italian Sweet Cream creamer in it.

Not fancy but I like it.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-12-2022)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    I do not care for tea in any form (makes me a heretic down south here).

I like coffee though my wife more accurately observed that I like flavored creamer with some coffee in it.

Used to splurge on Jamaican Blue Mtn or Kona from time to time but I just run Seattle's Best in my Keureg these days and, yes, put far more Italian Sweet Cream creamer in it.

Not fancy but I like it.
    I tried K-cup coffee and still drink it from time to time when I'm out, but water quality is an issue since maintaining a Keurig properly is more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

Enjoyment is what it's all about in the end.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your contribution.

I have tried grinding freshly-roasted beans, but it's inconvenient for me to find a roaster whose product is available in the small batches I want for the sake of freshness. I'm also having issues with roasters who are experiencing supply shortages of my preferred blend. That's not all bad, because it forced me to try what's available, and sometimes I discover new tastes I might have missed otherwise.

Is your grinder ceramic or steel-bladed?

As to tea, I utilize loose leaf whenever time permits. I have found that using a Chatsford teapot minimizes any mess. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has moved production out of the UK and their quality has suffered as a result. I am extra-careful to preserve my English-made Chatsfords because an equivalent replacement is no longer available. I'm also found of vintage Sadler teapots, many of which will accept the Chatsford infuser.
    The small-batch thing is best if you have a local cafe that roasts. Otherwise, there are online places that roast to order. Coffee Fool is one that comes to mind.

I believe I have a ceramic bur grinder but I can't remember for sure. If I could go back maybe I'd spend a little more than the $58 I did.

I bet those teapots will start to be like Fender guitars and be desirable to have them from their original country of manufacture.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

I tried K-cup coffee and still drink it from time to time when I'm out, but water quality is an issue since maintaining a Keurig properly is more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

Enjoyment is what it's all about in the end.
    yes, the water matter is real. you have to be a pretty regular drinker to have a decent shot at staying ahead of the curve on that. Its just me heer now and I'm more of an occasional coffee drinker these days so its more effort keeping the reservoir up to snuff.

Can you suggest a simple alternative, one that gives me the ability to nudge up the flavor a bit ? little choice in the k-cups.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The small-batch thing is best if you have a local cafe that roasts. Otherwise, there are online places that roast to order. Coffee Fool is one that comes to mind.
    Yes, that's what I do, but several have succumbed to the rash of small business owners closing because of lockdowns/lack of employees, etc. I'm reluctant to use a mail=order supplier for a variety of reasons.

I believe I have a ceramic bur grinder but I can't remember for sure. If I could go back maybe I'd spend a little more than the $58 I did.
    It makes a discernible difference IMO, but either type blade is OK if you replace the blades as needed, which isn't easy to do on bargain-priced grinders. That's why I usually get the roaster to grind small batches for me on demand. Storing larger amounts defeats the purpose of using freshly ground beans.

I bet those teapots will start to be like Fender guitars and be desirable to have them from their original country of manufacture.
    No doubt. I have dozens of vintage teapots for exactly that reason. The composition, design, and manufacturing have to be consistent, and the news ones just don't measure up.

There's a real decline in quality. The new ones craze, even though I always pre-heat before use, and the spouts are inconsistent, so the new ones tend to leak and dribble.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

yes, the water matter is real. you have to be a pretty regular drinker to have a decent shot at staying ahead of the curve on that. Its just me heer now and I'm more of an occasional coffee drinker these days so its more effort keeping the reservoir up to snuff. Can you suggest a simple alternative, one that gives me the ability to nudge up the flavor a bit ? little choice in the k-cups.
    I've had great success using bottled spring water and the pour over method.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

I have tried a variety of brewing methods for my coffee. While the french press is probably the best (or a Moka), they don't provide the volume I want. I drink coffee all morning.

I also think one of the greatest inventions of modern man is the timer setting on a drip coffee maker. Fresh coffee ready when I wake up? Manna from Heaven! The second greatest invention is the little lever on the brew basket that lets you get your first cup before the pot is finished brewing.

For my french press and moka, I like dark roast Ethiopian beans. But I typically reserve that for camping. Sitting outside with that dark ambrosia is good for the soul.

My daily coffee is a blend of equal parts Folgers Black Silk and Gevalia Espresso roast. Delicious dark roast with little to know effort.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-12-2022), Matt Dillon (01-13-2022), Phantasmal (01-12-2022)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

yes, the water matter is real. you have to be a pretty regular drinker to have a decent shot at staying ahead of the curve on that. Its just me heer now and I'm more of an occasional coffee drinker these days so its more effort keeping the reservoir up to snuff.

Can you suggest a simple alternative, one that gives me the ability to nudge up the flavor a bit ? little choice in the k-cups.

We have a Berkey water filter beside our kitchen sink. There is a noticeable difference in taste. Makes great coffee, and even better tea.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

Celticguy (01-12-2022)

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I have tried a variety of brewing methods for my coffee. While the french press is probably the best (or a Moka), they don't provide the volume I want. I drink coffee all morning.

I also think one of the greatest inventions of modern man is the timer setting on a drip coffee maker. Fresh coffee ready when I wake up? Manna from Heaven! The second greatest invention is the little lever on the brew basket that lets you get your first cup before the pot is finished brewing.

For my french press and moka, I like dark roast Ethiopian beans. But I typically reserve that for camping. Sitting outside with that dark ambrosia is good for the soul.

My daily coffee is a blend of equal parts Folgers Black Silk and Gevalia Espresso roast. Delicious dark roast with little to know effort.
    I like coffee from a French press, too, but you'r right about the volume.

I have found that I can brew larger volumes into a vacuum flask using the pour over method with good results. Keeps the coffee fresh and hot for hours before I need to brew more.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    We have a Berkey water filter beside our kitchen sink. There is a noticeable difference in taste. Makes great coffee, and even better tea.
    Nice.

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Can't read the original post, but I'll take a shot.

I drink hot coffee all year, including July and August. Don't like it cold.
    When I worked or was in school, it may have been six or seven cups a day, maybe eight.
    Now, it's probably four at most, usually.

At home, I use Dunkin Donuts K Cups. Bottled water.
    No sugar ever.
    Cream (not milk) in the morning coffee. We don't have milk in the house.
    Sambuca in the after dinner coffee at night.

As for tea, I only drink it in Chinese restaurants.
    Or in Commonwealth nations at 4PM if on holiday---when in Rome as they say.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

christiefan915 (01-12-2022), WinterBorn (01-12-2022)

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,752 Times in 33,622 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

I use to love the French Press and dark roasted coffees, but alas my stomach and blood pressure now requires I use light and medium roasted coffees, I found a local, small business whose beans are easy on me. I also now brew my coffee with a Ninja brew center. The coffee is not too bad.

I definitely have a favorite tea, It’s Market Spice! It’s a black tea with lovely cinnamon and orange flavoring! It’s heavenly.