Thread: Mets to retire Keith Hernandez's No. 17 in July

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,819 Times in 14,169 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Mets to retire Keith Hernandez's No. 17 in July

Keith Hernandez will have his No. 17 retired by the New York Mets this summer to honor his seven seasons as a player and nearly three decades as a beloved broadcaster with the franchise.

The Mets announced Tuesday that Hernandez will become the fourth player to have his uniform number retired by the team in a ceremony prior to a game July 9 against Miami.

Hernandez's No. 17 will stand alongside Tom Seaver's 41, Mike Piazza's 31 and Jerry Koosman's 36 at Citi Field. Koosman's number was retired in August.

Hernandez was inducted into the Mets Hall of Fame in 1997. He ranks second in team history with a .297 batting average, and he won a team-record six of his 11 Gold Gloves in New York.

The Bay Area native propelled the Mets to a World Series title in 1986 and was named the franchise's first-ever captain the next year by manager Davey Johnson.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/me...uly/ar-AASG6kc
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Keith Hernandez will have his No. 17 retired by the New York Mets this summer to honor his seven seasons as a player and nearly three decades as a beloved broadcaster with the franchise.

The Mets announced Tuesday that Hernandez will become the fourth player to have his uniform number retired by the team in a ceremony prior to a game July 9 against Miami.

Hernandez's No. 17 will stand alongside Tom Seaver's 41, Mike Piazza's 31 and Jerry Koosman's 36 at Citi Field. Koosman's number was retired in August.

Hernandez was inducted into the Mets Hall of Fame in 1997. He ranks second in team history with a .297 batting average, and he won a team-record six of his 11 Gold Gloves in New York.

The Bay Area native propelled the Mets to a World Series title in 1986 and was named the franchise's first-ever captain the next year by manager Davey Johnson.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/me...ATTACH]AASG6kc
    Seinfeld four!OIP (3).jpg
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melchizedek = Michael For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-11-2022)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,819 Times in 14,169 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

As a Brooklyn dodgers fan when the Mets came on the scene in 62' it was great as they had a lot of Brooklyn dodgers in the roster
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם