Members banned from this thread: AProudLefty and ParachuteAdams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bungling Biden the hypocrite

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Bungling Biden the hypocrite

I think this is the single-most significant vote any one of us will cast in my 32 years in the Senate, and I suspect the senator would agree with that. And we should make no mistake. This nuclear option is ultimately an example of the arrogance of power. It is a fundamental power grab by the majority party propelled by its extreme right and designed to change the reading of the Constitution, particularly as it relates to individual rights and property rights. It’s nothing more or nothing less. . . .

We’ve been through these periods before in American history, but never to the best of my knowledge has any party been so bold as to fundamentally attempt to change the structure of this body. . . . What shortsightedness and what a price history will exact on those who support this radical move.

This is the single-most significant vote, as I said earlier, that I will have cast in my 32 years in the Senate.

Why try it now, for the first time in history, to eliminate extended debate? Well, because they control every lever of the federal government. That’s the very reason why we have the rule. So when one party, when one interest controls all levers of government, one man or one woman can stand on the floor of the Senate and resist, if need be, the passions of the moment.

Put simply, the nuclear option would transform the Senate from the so-called “cooling saucer” our Founding Fathers talked about to cool the passions of the day to a pure majoritarian body, like a parliament.

We’ve heard a lot in recent weeks about the rights of the majority and of obstructionism. But the Senate is not meant to be a place of pure majoritarianism.

At its core, the filibuster’s not about stopping a nominee or a bill. It’s about compromise and moderation. That’s why the Founders put unlimited debate in. . . . It doesn’t mean I get my way. It means you may have to compromise. You may have to see my side of the argument. That’s what it’s about. Engendering compromise and moderation.

Ladies and gentlemen, the nuclear option extinguishes the power of independence and moderates in this Senate. That’s it. They’re done. Moderates are important only if you need to get 60 votes to satisfy cloture. They are much less important if you need only 50 votes.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...pt6-Pg7878.htm

Yep. He said that.

Discuss.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I think this is the single-most significant vote any one of us will cast in my 32 years in the Senate, and I suspect the senator would agree with that. And we should make no mistake. This nuclear option is ultimately an example of the arrogance of power. It is a fundamental power grab by the majority party propelled by its extreme right and designed to change the reading of the Constitution, particularly as it relates to individual rights and property rights. It’s nothing more or nothing less. . . .

We’ve been through these periods before in American history, but never to the best of my knowledge has any party been so bold as to fundamentally attempt to change the structure of this body. . . . What shortsightedness and what a price history will exact on those who support this radical move.

This is the single-most significant vote, as I said earlier, that I will have cast in my 32 years in the Senate.

Why try it now, for the first time in history, to eliminate extended debate? Well, because they control every lever of the federal government. That’s the very reason why we have the rule. So when one party, when one interest controls all levers of government, one man or one woman can stand on the floor of the Senate and resist, if need be, the passions of the moment.

Put simply, the nuclear option would transform the Senate from the so-called “cooling saucer” our Founding Fathers talked about to cool the passions of the day to a pure majoritarian body, like a parliament.

We’ve heard a lot in recent weeks about the rights of the majority and of obstructionism. But the Senate is not meant to be a place of pure majoritarianism.

At its core, the filibuster’s not about stopping a nominee or a bill. It’s about compromise and moderation. That’s why the Founders put unlimited debate in. . . . It doesn’t mean I get my way. It means you may have to compromise. You may have to see my side of the argument. That’s what it’s about. Engendering compromise and moderation.

Ladies and gentlemen, the nuclear option extinguishes the power of independence and moderates in this Senate. That’s it. They’re done. Moderates are important only if you need to get 60 votes to satisfy cloture. They are much less important if you need only 50 votes.

Yep. He said that.

Discuss.
    They care only about complete power!

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    They care only about complete power!
    Apparently so.

Bungling Biden the hypocrite was against killing the filibuster before he was for it, wasn't he?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,249 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Yep. He said that.

Discuss.
    Only “copy and paste” would post a small section of a fourteen page document and attempt to reframe it

First off, it has absolutely nothing to do with Biden, especially since Bush was President when Murray is talking and the Republicans controlled the Senate, so it’s beyond weird that “copy and paste” thinks it involves Biden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-11-2022)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anchovies View Post
    Only “copy and paste” would post a small section of a fourteen page document and attempt to reframe it First off, it has absolutely nothing to do with Biden, especially since Bush was President when Murray is talking and the Republicans controlled the Senate, so it’s beyond weird that “copy and paste” thinks it involves Biden
    It's then-Senator Biden arguing against abolishing the Senate filibuster, Anchovies.

Poor Anchovies.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,069 Times in 8,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's then-Senator Biden arguing against abolishing the Senate filibuster, Anchovies.

Poor Anchovies.
    Anchovies apparently has a brain the size of it's namesake

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yakuda For This Post:

Earl (01-12-2022)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

THE "VOTING RIGHTS" BULLSHIT FROM THE STALIN-O-CRATRS IS A DIRECT VIOLATION OF ARTICLE 2 of the CONSTITUTION...
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Only “copy and paste” would post a small section of a fourteen page document and attempt to reframe it

First off, it has absolutely nothing to do with Biden, especially since Bush was President when Murray is talking and the Republicans controlled the Senate, so it’s beyond weird that “copy and paste” thinks it involves Biden
    WHAT A FUCKING DUNCE. READ IT.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

Earl (01-12-2022)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Anchovies apparently has a brain the size of it's namesake
    Poor Anchovies.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,069 Times in 8,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Poor Anchovies.
    You realize it's an insult to anchovies right?

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Poor Anchovies.
    You really want to ping pong something a politician said in the past and compare it to their statements today? You had to go back sixteen years, I can give you the same on over a dozen leading GOP politicians all within a year just using their statements on January 6th

Next

15. The Following User Groans At archives For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-12-2022)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-11-2022)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You really want to ping pong something a politician said in the past and compare it to their statements today? You had to go back sixteen years, I can give you the same on over a dozen leading GOP politicians all within a year just using their statements on January 6th Next
    Poor Anchovies.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    You realize it's an insult to anchovies right?
    Poor Anchovies.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Poor Anchovies.
    Thought so, got anything else you want to look foolish over?

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thought so, got anything else you want to look foolish over?
    Poor Anchovies.