Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, saltydancin, OG Yurt, serenity, Yakuda and ParachuteAdams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aristotle meets Hinduism

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default Aristotle meets Hinduism

In Hinduism, Brahman connotes the highest universal principle, the ultimate reality in the universe. In major schools of Hindu philosophy, it is the material, efficient, formal and final cause of all that exists. It is the pervasive, infinite, eternal truth, consciousness and bliss which does not change, yet is the cause of all changes.

Brahman as a metaphysical concept refers to the single binding unity behind diversity in all that exists in the universe.

Brahman is a Vedic Sanskrit word, and it is conceptualized in Hinduism, states Paul Deussen, as the "creative principle which lies realized in the whole world".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman

"Atman is Brahman"

Brahman is the universal soul and the atman of the individual soul, and in fact this individual soul is a sign of the same universal soul; in fact, Brahman and Atman are not distant, and the ultimate goal of man is to discover the universal soul in order to achieve unity. -- Ali reza Khajegir

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-05-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    In Hinduism, Brahman connotes the highest universal principle, the ultimate reality in the universe. In major schools of Hindu philosophy, it is the material, efficient, formal and final cause of all that exists. It is the pervasive, infinite, eternal truth, consciousness and bliss which does not change, yet is the cause of all changes.

Brahman as a metaphysical concept refers to the single binding unity behind diversity in all that exists in the universe.

Brahman is a Vedic Sanskrit word, and it is conceptualized in Hinduism, states Paul Deussen, as the "creative principle which lies realized in the whole world".

"Atman is Brahman"

Brahman is the universal soul and the atman of the individual soul, and in fact this individual soul is a sign of the same universal soul; in fact, Brahman and Atman are not distant, and the ultimate goal of man is to discover the universal soul in order to achieve unity. -- Ali reza Khajegir
    Those without atman cannot be part of brahman.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My atman is doing fine.

I think it is possible Plato got his concept of the immortal soul and universal first principles by obliquely hearing stories about Vedic philosophy, as indirect and diffuse knowledge of it filtered along trade routes into the eastern Mediterranean.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-05-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

"Atman is Brahman"

Those are Aristotle's 4 causes. What is the connection to Hinduism?

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My atman is doing fine.

I think it is possible Plato got his concept of the immortal soul and universal first principles by obliquely hearing stories about Vedic philosophy, as indirect and diffuse knowledge of it filtered along trade routes into the eastern Mediterranean.
    There are plenty of articles claiming that CEOs and others at the top of society are psychopaths lacking atman. That has a negative impact on brahman or order. We see evidence of this around the globe with the internet or smartphone being 21st century trade routes. Brahman is rising up against soulless authority.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Those are Aristotle's 4 causes. What is the connection to Hinduism?
    Nothing, I was just riffing off the author's weird backhand reference to Aristotle's four causes of teleology.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nothing, I was just riffing off the author's weird backhand reference to Aristotle's four causes of teleology.
    ok

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My atman is doing fine.

In one of Plato's dialogues, Socrates speaks of an immortal soul, reincarnation, and how all innate knowledge is just a recollection of things in the soul from prior lives.

This seems like a pretty clear echo of Vedic philosophy.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In one of Plato's dialogues, Socrates speaks of an immortal soul, reincarnation, and how all innate knowledge is just a recollection of things in the soul from prior lives.

Are you claiming he could not have come up with it himself?

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Are you claiming he could not have come up with it himself?
    No.
    I am saying there is a possibility that some echos of Vedic knowledge and Indian mathematics were indirectly known to the Greeks, and those echoes could have found their way into the work of Plato and Pythagoras.

It's not my theory. I read Michael Shugrue, and that was his hypothesis.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No.
    I am saying there is a possibility that some echos of Vedic knowledge and Indian mathematics were indirectly known to the Greeks, and those echoes could have found their way into the work of Plato and Pythagoras.

It's not my theory. I read Michael Shugrue, and that was his hypothesis.
    ok

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm pointing out the difference between Plato's fiction and real-world knowledge. Sacred Sanskrit immediately throws a corrupt soul into hell to be tortured, with the hope its rebirth will be a better soul. The problem is the king or ruler gets to decide which souls are corrupt. That results in only the poor and illiterate being tortured and killed.

Socrates was sentenced to death for making fun of Athenian law makers.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No one wants to talk sacred Sanskrit with me. Is global uprising a universal soul?

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    No one wants to talk sacred Sanskrit with me. Is global uprising a universal soul?
    There are about eight people in North America who have read the Vedas in their totality, and I am only interested in what trained religious scholars have to say

"Scholars of religion sometimes talk about the “Protestant bias,” that is, looking at other faiths through the lens of the Christian Reformation: assuming that scriptures are at the heart of a religion, that the oldest texts represent its purest form, and that those documents can best be understood through textual criticism, historical analysis, and translation. This approach may give us a somewhat skewed view of Hinduism."

- Grant Hardy, PhD, professor of religious studies

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There are about eight people in North America who have read the Vedas in their totality, and I am only interested in what trained religious scholars have to say
    Part of knowledge is being able to tell when scholars get it wrong. Politics and personal beliefs play a part in translation. Scripture constantly contradicts itself yet demands blind faith. There's no such thing as brahman and therefore no such thing as unity or order. You are one of the few people on JPP capable of intellectual debate. Don't let board politics change that.