Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What Socrates can teach us about the art of civilized arguing

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,714 Times in 27,344 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    yes empirical science is the basis of knowledge, but i was referring to using it as a teaching tool for students-
    which i think was the claim of the OP. 'Socrates" would be the facilitator, but students discussions and questions make them think and not just learn
    Yes, we had mock debates in college and high school classes.

That is not really the dialectic.

The dialectic is a conversation where both sides are supposedly genuinely committed to examining the truth of things.

A debate is the art of rhetoric used to defend a position. It is ideological.

That is what the Greek Sophists were teaching.

And Socrates and Plato hated Sophocles and Sophistic debate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-03-2022)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Yes, we had mock debates in college and high school classes.

That is not really the dialectic.

The dialectic is a conversation where both sides are supposedly genuinely committed to examining the truth of things.

A debate is the art of rhetoric used to defend a position. It is ideological.

That is what the Greek Sophists were teaching.

And Socrates and Plato hated Sophocles and Sophistic debate.

Just look at forums like this one. How many times has someone declared that they won the debate against someone else. Pretty meaningless.

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,714 Times in 27,344 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Just look at forums like this one. How many times has someone declared that they won the debate against someone else. Pretty meaningless.
    Humans get invested in their egos and in being perceived as a winner. Freud got that one right.

On the other hand, I have had some genuine dialogues with friends on this board about the nature of reality and human existence.

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Humans get invested in their egos and in being perceived as a winner. Freud got that one right.

On the other hand, I have had some genuine dialogues with friends on this board about the nature of reality and human existence.
    ok

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,266 Times in 7,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Agreed, and removing the Socratic method of teaching from school and replacing it with critical theory turns out idiots that melt when confronted with reality.

I have 200+ years of success examples to argue for teaching by the Socratic method. What's the argument for this teaching by Critical Theory and Critical Race Theory bullshit, hmm?

Yes, I am being adversarial right now over the argument of using the Socratic method.
    Instead of just calling Black American History "Critical Race Theory", why don't you just say specifically what should not be taught in public school- and why?

What are you afraid of?

Are you afraid of the American history specific to Black Americans?

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Instead of just calling Black American History "Critical Race Theory", why don't you just say specifically what should not be taught in public school?

What are you afraid of?

Are you afraid of the history of Black Americans?
    Matt Dillon is a racist. Nothing complex about his shit.

8. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Instead of just calling Black American History "Critical Race Theory", why don't you just say specifically what should not be taught in public school- and why?

What are you afraid of?

Are you afraid of the American history specific to Black Americans?

What?! Idk what school you went to, but we learned plenty about black history when I went.

Slavery, Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad, the Civil War, Free Black Americans, George Washington Carver, Jim Crow laws, the KKK, Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights movement..

The difference is that we weren't taught by Critical Theory.

By the way, Critical Race Theory craps all on everything that MLK Jr. and the thousands of Americans black and white stood up and fought so hard for in the 60s.

I ain't afraid of a fuckin' thing, you better believe that. Even if I am, I'm still gonna fight.

I guarantee I know more about the history of blacks in America than you, boy.

For instance, the American Revolution was started because Brits shot a black man that was one of us and people were pissed.

"The shot heard 'round the world" was a black American being killed by Brits. He had family and friends here.

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    What?! Idk what school you went to, but we learned plenty about black history when I went.

Slavery, Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad, the Civil War, Free Black Americans, George Washington Carver, Jim Crow laws, the KKK, Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights movement..

The difference is that we weren't taught by Critical Theory.

By the way, Critical Race Theory craps all on everything that MLK Jr. and the thousands of Americans black and white stood up and fought so hard for in the 60s.

I ain't afraid of a fuckin' thing, you better believe that. Even if I am, I'm still gonna fight.

I guarantee I know more about the history of blacks in America than you, boy.

For instance, the American Revolution was started because Brits shot a black man that was one of us and people were pissed.

"The shot heard 'round the world" was a black American being killed by Brits. He had family and friends here.
    Academic critics of CRT argue it is based on storytelling instead of evidence and reason, rejects truth and merit, and opposes liberalism. Since 2020, conservative U.S. lawmakers have sought to ban or restrict the instruction of CRT along with other anti‑racism education in primary and secondary schools. These lawmakers have been accused of misrepresenting the tenets and importance of CRT and of having the goal of broadly silencing discussions of racism, equality, social justice, and the history of race.

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Matt Dillon is a racist. Nothing complex about his shit.
    I'm thinking he is just an uneducated drunk poster still mad because Trump turned out to be America's Biggest Loser ever!

Lost the White House- Lost The House Of Reps- Lost the Senate- Lost millions of Republican voters over to the Democrats- Lost all of his executive powers- LOST HIS GET-OUTA'-JAIL-FREE-CARD- LOST HIS MIND- LOST ALL OF HIS COURTROOM HEARINGS- Lost his chances for re-election- ETC.

11. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm thinking he is just an uneducated drunk poster still mad because Trump turned out to be America's Biggest Loser ever!

Lost the White House- Lost The House Of Reps- Lost the Senate- Lost millions of Republican voters over to the Democrats- Lost all of his executive powers- LOST HIS GET-OUTA'-JAIL-FREE-CARD- LOST HIS MIND- LOST ALL OF HIS COURTROOM HEARINGS- Lost his chances for re-election- ETC.

Matt Dillon is a hate troll. Had him on ignore for years.

12. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Matt Dillon is a hate troll. Had him on ignore for years.

ORLY? You joined 11/2020, literally 14 mos ago.

This is the level of your intelligence,
    a smidge above katzgar.