Thread: The Gospel of Thomas

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default The Gospel of Thomas

This subject (partially) came up in other thread. So I thought I'll create a new one off in, perhaps, a new series of threads. This, in my opinion, is what Jesus taught and they didn't like it. Hence a different canons because they don't want the teaching of Jesus to give the little people more power.

Now, [in the Gospel of Thomas], this Jesus comes to reveal that you and he are, if you like, twins.... And what you discover as you read the Gospel of Thomas, which you're meant to discover, is that you and Jesus at a deep level are identical twins. And that you discover that you are the child of God just as he is. And so that at the end of the gospel Jesus speaks to Thomas and says, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become as I am, and I will become that person, and the mysteries will be revealed to him." Here, Jesus does not take the role of authority and teacher. In the Gospel of Thomas, the disciples say to Jesus, "Tell us, what do you want us to do? How shall we pray? What shall we eat? How shall we fast?" Now if you look at Matthew and Luke, Jesus answers the questions. He says, "When you pray, say, 'Our Father who are in Heaven, hallowed be...' When you fast, wash your face, don't make a show of it. When you give alms do it privately and without being showy." In this gospel, this Jesus does not answer. He says, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for everything is known before heaven." Now this answer throws you and me upon ourselves.... Here Jesus, in effect, turns one toward oneself, and that is really one of the themes of the Gospel of Thomas, that you must go in a sort of a spiritual quest of your own to discover who you are, and to discover really that you are the child of God just like Jesus.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...ry/thomas.html

If you find Jesus under a rock, you will find yourself.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Cypress (12-25-2021), Doc Dutch (12-27-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-25-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,522 Times in 52,740 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

It took me many decades to find the path that I am on. This resonates closely with what I feel is my own spiritual truth.

Thanks, Lefty.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (12-25-2021), Cypress (12-25-2021), Doc Dutch (12-27-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It took me many decades to find the path that I am on. This resonates closely with what I feel is my own spiritual truth.

Thanks, Lefty.
    (3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the
    birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will
    precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you
    come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you
    who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in
    poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

https://www.marquette.edu/maqom/Gosp...%20Lambdin.pdf

Who, really are the wealthy and who are poor?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-25-2021)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Lefty.
    (18) The disciples said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will be."
    Jesus said, "Have you discovered, then, the beginning, that you look for the end? For
    where the beginning is, there will the end be. Blessed is he who will take his place in the
    beginning; he will know the end and will not experience death."

Profound.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Matt Dillon (12-25-2021)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

(50) Jesus said, "If they say to you, 'Where did you come from?', say to them, 'We came
    from the light, the place where the light came into being on its own accord and
    established itself and became manifest through their image.' If they say to you, 'Is it
    you?', say, 'We are its children, we are the elect of the living father.' If they ask you,
    'What is the sign of your father in you?', say to them, 'It is movement and repose.'"

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    This subject (partially) came up in other thread. So I thought I'll create a new one off in, perhaps, a new series of threads. This, in my opinion, is what Jesus taught and they didn't like it. Hence a different canons because they don't want the teaching of Jesus to give the little people more power.

Now, [in the Gospel of Thomas], this Jesus comes to reveal that you and he are, if you like, twins.... And what you discover as you read the Gospel of Thomas, which you're meant to discover, is that you and Jesus at a deep level are identical twins. And that you discover that you are the child of God just as he is. And so that at the end of the gospel Jesus speaks to Thomas and says, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become as I am, and I will become that person, and the mysteries will be revealed to him." Here, Jesus does not take the role of authority and teacher. In the Gospel of Thomas, the disciples say to Jesus, "Tell us, what do you want us to do? How shall we pray? What shall we eat? How shall we fast?" Now if you look at Matthew and Luke, Jesus answers the questions. He says, "When you pray, say, 'Our Father who are in Heaven, hallowed be...' When you fast, wash your face, don't make a show of it. When you give alms do it privately and without being showy." In this gospel, this Jesus does not answer. He says, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for everything is known before heaven." Now this answer throws you and me upon ourselves.... Here Jesus, in effect, turns one toward oneself, and that is really one of the themes of the Gospel of Thomas, that you must go in a sort of a spiritual quest of your own to discover who you are, and to discover really that you are the child of God just like Jesus.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...ry/thomas.html

If you find Jesus under a rock, you will find yourself.
    It is presumed to be a Gnostic Christian work, since it was found with the Nag Hammadi corpus of writings in 1945.

Gnostics were considered heretical by orthodox Christians, which is why Gnostics writing did not make it into the accepted canon of Catholicism.

The Gnostics emphasized salvation through the teachings and secret knowledge given by Jesus, rather than through his death and supposed resurection.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

AProudLefty (12-25-2021), christiefan915 (12-27-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-25-2021)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,766 Times in 7,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Thanks, Lefty.
    I've never been on a path that I sought for myself
    because I don't believe that life works that way,

nor is it easy for me to believe that anybody who's ever lived
    has actually, successfully executed a life plan.

I've seen the claim made, but
    I've never actually seen a human life that looked like the successful execution of a plan or,
    for that matter, even the fulfillment of a destiny.

All my observations of life suggest that life randomly happens to us.
    If I were asked to give one fact about which I was certain,
    that would probably be the fact that I'd offer.

Totally random confluence of sub-atomic particles in the infinite vacuum of space---
    that's my definition of not only the universe itself,
    but also of all that occurs therein.

I have no spiritual epiphanies. I have my physical senses,
    and this is what they've experienced and observed.

I wish that one single person who claims to have expeirenced otherwise
    could articulate such experience in terms to which I was able to personally relate.

Perhaps that's something that takes longer than my seventy-five years to be revealed.

In any case, fortunately, I don't believe that such pathfinding capabilities are necessary to endure the experience of life.
    Raging against what actually happens and simply imagining that you're doing something about it
    with the free will that you simulate in your imagination but probably don't actually have
    can in itself be fulfilling enough to get through it.

And the best part is that in such circumstance, you don't get too attached to life.
    You don't let the threat of its loss impact your attitude.
    You can sneer like the prick that you are if you feel like sneering
    and you can emote in platitudes when you don't have the energy to be rational.

There's liberation in understanding the concepts of both randomness and futility.

These are Nifty's uplifting Christmas thoughts for the waning days of 2021.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

anonymoose (12-25-2021)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It is presumed to be a Gnostic Christian work, since it was found with the Nag Hammadi corpus of writings in 1945.

Gnostics were considered heretical by orthodox Christians, which is why Gnostics writing did not make it into the accepted canon of Catholicism.

The Gnostics emphasized salvation through the teachings and secret knowledge given by Jesus, rather than through his death and supposed resurection.
    The most remarkable Gnostic gospel from the Nag Hammadi corpus is the Gospel of Truth, which I have read is the most philosophical and poetic of the Gnostic writings

It is not a narrative description of Jesus life and death, like the synoptic gospels, but it is a profound reflection on the significance of Jesus who was sent by God as a teacher, to teach the truth, lift the veil of ignorance from humanity, and to teach a system of ethics based on compassion and mercy.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

AProudLefty (12-25-2021), Matt Dillon (12-26-2021), Phantasmal (12-26-2021)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,522 Times in 52,740 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    (3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the
    birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will
    precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you
    come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you
    who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in
    poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

https://www.marquette.edu/maqom/Gosp...%20Lambdin.pdf

Who, really are the wealthy and who are poor?
    Something like the Americanized yoga/Hindu word "Namaste," that is supposed to mean "the divine in me greets the divine in you."
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (12-25-2021), Phantasmal (12-26-2021)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Something like the Americanized yoga/Hindu word "Namaste," that is supposed to mean "the divine in me greets the divine in you."

That's exactly what Jesus said. The Light is in you and the Light is in me too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-25-2021)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

When Moses was on the mountain with God,God told him
    "I AM who I AM".
    Then when Jesus came and the powers of the church the Pharisees asked,who he was he answered
    " Before Abraham I AM".
    This is when they plotted to kill him.
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The most remarkable Gnostic gospel from the Nag Hammadi corpus is the Gospel of Truth, which I have read is the most philosophical and poetic of the Gnostic writings

It is not a narrative description of Jesus life and death, like the synoptic gospels, but it is a profound reflection on the significance of Jesus who was sent by God as a teacher, to teach the truth, lift the veil of ignorance from humanity, and to teach a system of ethics based on compassion and mercy.
    No,Jesus main mission was to be the Passover Lamb of God to save mankind from sin.
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Apollyon View Post
    No,Jesus main mission was to be the Passover Lamb of God to save mankind from sin.
    No such concept in Judaism in act no one can die for another's sins, and supposedly jesus was Jewish

The Bible is clear, and it is consistent: one person cannot die for the sins of another. In other words, the sins committed by one person cannot be wiped out by the punishment given to another. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses asks Gd to punish him for the sin committed by the people in regards to the Golden Calf. Gd tells Moses that the person who committed the sin is the one who must receive the punishment. Then, in Deuteronomy 24:16, Gd simply states this as a basic principle, ‘Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.’ This concept is repeated in the Prophets, in Ezekiel 18: ‘The soul that sinneth, it shall die… the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.’ The prophet Jeremiah looks to the day when the mistaken belief that one man’s death atones for another man’s sins shall no longer be held by anyone: in Jeremiah 31:29-30, the prophet says: ‘In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children’s teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.’

As to human sacrifice, that is abhorrent to Judaism as is any human blood sacrifice, and is found nowhere in Torah

In fact we are commanded not to to consume even animal blood i.e. kosher laws

This whole heaven and hell thing christians came up with is as as far as one can get from Judaism if you read what Christians call "the old testament" in the original Hebrew
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-27-2021), ThatOwlWoman (12-25-2021)

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    No such concept in Judaism in act no one can die for another's sins, and supposedly jesus was Jewish

The Bible is clear, and it is consistent: one person cannot die for the sins of another. In other words, the sins committed by one person cannot be wiped out by the punishment given to another. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses asks Gd to punish him for the sin committed by the people in regards to the Golden Calf. Gd tells Moses that the person who committed the sin is the one who must receive the punishment. Then, in Deuteronomy 24:16, Gd simply states this as a basic principle, ‘Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.’ This concept is repeated in the Prophets, in Ezekiel 18: ‘The soul that sinneth, it shall die… the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.’ The prophet Jeremiah looks to the day when the mistaken belief that one man’s death atones for another man’s sins shall no longer be held by anyone: in Jeremiah 31:29-30, the prophet says: ‘In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children’s teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.’

As to human sacrifice, that is abhorrent to Judaism as is any human blood sacrifice, and is found nowhere in Torah

In fact we are commanded not to to consume even animal blood i.e. kosher laws

This whole heaven and hell thing christians came up with is as as far as one can get from Judaism if you read what Christians call "the old testament" in the original Hebrew
    I get it you're not a believer in Jesus Christ.
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

God is One and that He is a most perfect and absolute Unity.

It is written, "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one" (Deut. 6:4). This is a positive commandment to believe in God's unity. This commandment depends on thought and can be fulfilled at any time.

Although the universe contains many galaxies, each consisting of innumerable stars and planets, there is one God who is Author and Creator of them all. It is absolutely impossible to conceive of more than one Absolute Being.

Although there may be many other universes, both physical and spiritual, God is One over all. It is thus written, "Your kingdom is a kingdom of all worlds" (Psalms 145:13).

Judaism emphatically rejects any concept of plurality with respect to God.
    Judaism emphatically rejects any concept of plurality with respect to God. It therefore rejects the Christian concept of the trinity, in which God is depicted as three persons in one, corresponding to His manifestation in creation, redemption and revelation.

Since any additional quality would add an element of plurality to God's essence, we conceive of Him as being absolutely simple. His simple essence, however, implies every attribute with which He created and rules His universe.

As Creator, God's power in His universe is unlimited. We therefore speak of God as being omnipotent, and refer to Him in our prayer as "King of the universe.' It is likewise written, "All that God wishes, he does, in heaven and earth, in the seas and all the deeps" (Psalms 135:6).

We do not, however, ascribe to God the power of doing that which is categorically impossible, such as duplicating, annihilating, corporifying, or changing Himself. Judaism therefore rejects the possibility that God could have ever assumed human form.

Since God is the Creator of all matter, it is obvious that He does not consist of matter.

Because of God's antithesis to all material attributes, He is called Pure and Holy.
    Last edited by Guno צְבִי; 12-25-2021 at 06:23 PM.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם